Active vs. Passive Butane Recovery

anybody thinking a FFE would get more solvent out then a wiper…HAS NEVER RAN A WIPER lmao

1 Like

or should i say, doesnt know how to run a wiper properly/ screwing up big time

1 Like

You pretty much hit the nail on the head… The moderate pressure for butane is shifted from that of propane pretty low but still exists (16 to 65 psi instead of 50 to 200 psi). We made a point to reduce flow choking to an absolute minimal across the whole of our unit and even used it as an intentional part of the system in specific places to benefit from the capillary action.

“I suspect it would run at a slower rate with 100% N-Butane, my preferred solvent.”

• The pressures will be much lower during operation but will still work with excellent speed. The ratio of liquid solvent injected to jacket fluid density is rather extreme which makes it very difficult to experience thermal lock-out during operation. We ran a butane/propane mixture in California without any issues. Honestly, having a little butane in there made it work a little better.

“Downsides of an FFE would be potentially more residual solvent in the output.”
“Upside of the FFE would be mechanically simpler, fewer seals etc.”

• You are correct, we were after a minimal solvent retention in our crude prior to removal from the system with the fewest amount of components inline. Yes it is not mechanically simple, but it is very effective in both operation and cost.
3 Likes

FFE - more physical surface area of heat transfer. WFE - thinner film

I agree with @downtheterphole. Gimme FFE for the bulk, and WFE for the finish!

We actually perform the bulk recovery from the main storage tank… The WFE takes care of the last couple gallons in a superb fashion. Usually takes about 5-10 min to drain the entire run.

3 Likes

@Zack_illuminated Is it evaporated from the storage tank?

1 Like

The bulk 30# or so yes at the end of the extraction cycle gets put back in the supply tank or moved to the other side of the extraction system for continuous extraction. The storage tank is a work tank that performs multiple tasks. This thickens the crude substantially before entering the WFE.

5 Likes

Can I come run one for a day?

6 Likes

We have 2 units local to us that are in the process of their final checks to be turned on. One of which had their PSI review yesterday. Once one of these units are online we could arrange to have you out for a day to see how the machine works.

5 Likes

@Zack_illuminated any in central CA bay area specific?

…awesome info

1 Like

Thanks… you should definitely come check us out at www.illuminatedextractors.com to see what all we have been into lately!

We just released some really cool tech that replaces expensive heaters / chillers / CO2 / LN2 options. Typically we see about 10 amps draw to maintain -50c or lower all day long across 5+ columns!

U.S. Patent Pending!

3 Likes

I need some illumination in my life. Let me know when the stand-alone chiller/heaters are ready

5 Likes

@Zack_illuminated Are you guys able to show it running? itd be worth the drive up to fort collins to check it out!

1 Like

F**** Amazing Reading this had to just comment right away OMFG Love this discussion

I think you may be overestimating the Discharge Coefficient.

For highly compressible gas flows that are pulsating (like what would happen if a pump were involved) this value is much lower than 0.9.

In ideal gas flow situations, where compressibility is much less of a concern, 0.9 or higher is a reasonable guess—but this is not true for gaseous butane propane.

Here’s an interesting study that dives deeeeep into the topic

3 Likes

What do your calculations tell you as max amount of propane treu a 1.5” oriffice
With the 492 corken I am at 9 lbs per minute
Wonder if it s the lines choking or the pump maxed out (propane)

What is your inlet pressure, inlet temperature, outlet pressure, and rpm?

For instance, an inlet temp of 50f at 50psi with an outlet of 150psi the 491 can move 824lb/hr or 13.73lb/min assuming the rpm is set to 675. The rpm can be raised or lowered so that value must be known to complete the calculation. This is also assuming propane as a pure solvent.

1 Like

I need to check rpm
I was thinking placing a vfd on the unit

1 Like

To be honest, the accuracy is not effected much by differences in rpm, it is the other factors that matter most.

We typically spec a vfd for the compressors because it doubles as a motor starter and will help maximize the lifetime of the motor. Plus it gives the user extra control so you can slow it down if you want. During typical operation though, I would suggest staying at full power.

If you ever want some calcs ran I would be glad to help. Only takes a second to plug it into the software.

4 Likes