Acetone & Dry Ice Bath

Hi,

Looking to do acheive -78 Cooling bath using Acetone & Dry ice was hoping some fellow users could guide me.

I am having difficulty finding a pump capable of handling acetone at -78 is there another fluid perhaps I could use such as glycol?

secondly if anyone has suggestions on dying there fluids used in a condenser.

thank you

1 Like

If it’s a bath why the need for a pump?

Glycol will freeze well before -78.

Food coloring found in the baking section works for us. I believe it’s propylene glycol based. Our cold fingers look very festive!

1 Like

You could try ethanol but of course it’s flammable

I like isopropyl and turtles.

4 Likes

They’re both highly flammable. Not very at -78, and all that air-displacing CO2 helps a bit, I’d imagine.

well this fluid is for the condenser, I have 2 inline graham condensers, I was hoping to cool them to much as possible in order to get the most of out of the terpene distillation

1 Like

Acetone will make a big difference, it transfers heat much better than alcohol allowing for a lower temp.

2 Likes

well, I was going to grab a large container dump some acetone and slowly add dry ice or vis a vis, and then pump it into the condenser recirculating it.

but problem is finding a pump that can handle acetone and at -78 almost

thanks

According to this source:

Acetone and dry ice will produce the same temperature as isopropanol with dry ice.
I would recommend that. It’ll be easier to find an alcohol pump than an acetone one.

Even if Acetone transfers heat better, as was stated earlier in the thread, finding an ethanol pump will be easier.