Acetone crystallization of THC-A

What you have there are dendrites. They usually form when crystals are grown rapidly, which I see a lot when folks perform evaporative crystallization using heat and vacuum, rather than a slow evaporation done at 1atm and room temperature. If you just plan on milling the growths and rinsing them they are fine, but dendrites are far more likely to have solvent inclusions and are harder to rinse properly. I would reccomend trying to slow your process down, usually with the acetone method that means using some kind of semi-permeable barrier that slows the rate of solvent evaporation.

One photo shows THCA crystallized rapidly in a vacuum oven at 45c and -20mmHg. The other is THCA crystallized more slowly in a fume hood at room temp.

5 Likes

Nice, yeah I’ve just been doing experiments all this is going to get trashed or analyzed after I’m done playing but thanks for the info that is awesome. The next round I put plastic wrap on beaker with rubber band to slow it down to see the other side of the spectrum with really slow growth

Usually I will leave a crystallizing dish open top in a fume hood initially until I see precipitation begin, then put parafilm over the dish and poke a few holes in it.

3 Likes

Off balance ph

Its been a while, I have been playing with the method again, here is about 3oz of crude diamonds off for a second re-x.

I’ll post photos when the next one is done. I also have a 1.2 kilo run of crude winterized bho crashing out, im curious to see how it goes.

2 Likes

What about the 1.2 kilo run of crude winterized bho

Hey @Noah247420 welcome to the future :beers:

If you look over to the right on the postings you can see that this was posted about 3 years ago.

It does look like @Aurion has been around recently, just wanted to give yah a heads up on how to check post dates :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

It went OK but I’ve since moved to butane for ease and time lol.

Its fun to mess around with for experiments but it also isn’t the most time effective method by any means

4 Likes