Accidentally dewaxed in my collection

Hey everyone, what the hell did I do to deserve this? Final product looks like it’s coming out amazing. Since I didn’t have much gas in my tank, I ran it all through one tube, recovered it, then ran it through another tube and recovered it. When I went to open the collection, this is what I saw. No slurry on the tank, just shot nitrogen assist through a coil in slurry. The push was quite slow, even with +60psi of nitrogen. Material was a combination of wet and dry

Why did you need the nitro assist with no dry ice? The easy answer is you didnt use dry ice. Get ya some. If no sleeve build a wooden crate and throw tube in and cover for 30 min. Youll get most of the result of a sleeve.

2 Likes

a lot of ppl use nitro w no dry ice on collection. I don’t…but I’m small scale also. The larger u go harder that is to do I hear.
.edit this is where a coil comes into play

I’d buy some dry ice and at least prefreeze my material for few hrs

2 Likes

I injected through a coil that was sitting in a -40 (as low as my thermometer goes) dry ice slurry. And recovered through the same slurry, in a different coil. After the first distillation, the solvent in the tank was quite cold

1 Like

Maybe an important side note, when I pulled my extractor out of the hot (95 degree) water bath, my splatter platter had ~.5" of ice built up on it. I’m wondering if it’s decent dewax tek to inject a bit of really cold solvent into the collection after I’ve already recovered 95% of it, to solidify the waxes before the pour

2 Likes

yeah it can pretty much work like that…

and if to.much solvent is gone and u get it cold ur thca starts doing that. instead fats

to me looks like u got it cold and caused ur solvent not to be able to keep all the oil dissolved In it. when u drop the temp of the solvent u lower the solubility of it. especially after reducing a bunch solvent out of it

Was your splatter platter flat on the ground with water on the sides? Buy a gas range pan thingie and put your platter on that and change the water when it is gets cold

2 Likes

It’s in a trash can with a water circ hooked up to a tankless water heater. Def need some sort of blocking in the bottom, drill thing is a good idea. However, I would really like to replicate the results I had last night. You think it’s a decent dewax tek to put some ice cold solvent in the collection at the end when I’m pretty much ready to pour, then keep recovery temp low for the final bit of recovery?

You’d have better luck transferring into a second chamber with a dump valve (1.5"-2") to filters. Recover from the top of this chamber, with zero added heat. Your solvent will chill causing fats to coagulate, depending on how much and long you recover, you can get down to - 20c, easily.

2 Likes

if ur gonna chill the collection to try to remove fats dont let any your solvent recover or reduce and run it all(entire amount solvent u started w no.reducing)

if you wait till the pour and try this ur gonna wifey freeze ur oil to the bottom the tank or drop ur thca to the bottom of pot

How the #%^%? is that “de-waxing”?!?

If you don’t filter them out, you haven’t removed any fats or waxes…if you haven’t removed them, why would it be a DE wax?

You got your shit cold at the end and SAW waxes. Which suggests DE-waxing would be a good idea.

You however, left the waxes exactly where you found them…

2 Likes

Does your spool have a dry ice jacket or you just ran wet material and hoped coil would keep cold enough?

:joy: I didn’t leave em there, they were solid enough that I could fish em out with a spatula, and ended up with some of the lightest color final product I’ve made

That top pic is the removed wax

1 Like

It does have a jacket, but the material was improperly kept, so some of it was super wet. I didn’t want to fill the jacket and risk even more ice build up, so I just ran the cold solvent. Next time, with properly kept material, I plan to cool the jacket and the solvent

:man_facepalming: Fair enough. :rofl:

That passed for “dewax” back in the days of open blasting.

Getting a potency test on the “waxes” might be informative. They don’t look devoid of cannabinoids to me. Maybe some kind soul with in house analytics can lend a hand there.

1 Like