About the Botany and Cultivation category

Cannabis has been cultivated across the world for thousands of years. The plant is notoriously versatile and can be used for everything for manufacturing and medicinal applications alike. In the modern cannabis space, cultivation isn’t merely a matter of production. The growth of cannabis plants incorporates cutting-edge technology, revolutionary methods and innovative techniques to produce greater yields and higher levels of quality than ever before.

Here, you will find discussions about new cultivation methods, plant genetics, fertilization, and more.

10 Likes

Thanks for creating the category! I am a long time cultivator, going on 13 years or so, before the legal days. I have a science background and I currently using various methods in cultivation that go beyond the conventional, hydro, and organic paradigm. I am using tissue, sap, and soil analysis data to create refined nutrient programs for clients, focusing first and foremost on healthy plants with healthy defenses, and secondly on (preferably) more refined but economic and sustainable inputs. I don’t do pesticides, organic or otherwise, preventative or whatever. IPM to me is all about prevention, not having a continuous cycle of preventative crude sprays made up of random biology or essential oil sprays. I have always asked the “why” and “how” of fertilization and growing, where I think the majority of the industry is only interested in the “how much?” questions, such as how much am I going to yield, or how much am I going to make. Happy to be part of this advanced group and partake in your discussions.

8 Likes

@distillat3r
Do you run your biological controls, predators/parasitoids, through your entire run? IPM is all about prevention but a lot comes down to sterility and GMP or GCP, good cultivation practices. Figure introduction of beneficials only if pest present, but competition is important

I’m not crazy about predatory bugs as biological controls, it doesn’t get to the root of the problem in the first place and many studies have shown that predator insects will always live symbiotically with their food supply, and rarely deplete their food source down to where they cannot sustain their own populations. Additionally, I have worked with facilities using predators that have tested positive for insect bile on their flowers, and well, thats not something you want to smoke either.

I prefer to take a nutritive approach and check excesses, especially nitrate and potassium. Those two in excess cause the most problems attracting pests and disease. However, not enough and you won’t hit good yields. So its best to use modern tools such as sap and media analysis to quantify need and excess and control it.

5 Likes

That’s something I had never thought of! Still a great observation.

I will look into this more, in all aspects. I love the idea and want to be more familiar.
Any inputs on compost tea and beneficial bacteria and fungi, organic growing with help of biological.

How much drying space needed per acre.

Great Category!
i am cannabis/hemp farmer in Thailand. i have been growing here for much longer than im probably allowed to mention.
recently my team has been tasked with creating the entire hemp/cannabis scene from the ground up. we have two successful legal seasons under our belt and will be expanding to over 400 farms this year.
we are looking to connect with farmers that have experience growing in tropical climates or who are interested in progressing the Thai hemp and cannabis industry.

1 Like

Hello everyone! I just want to share something about cultivation of seeds:) Check it out!
https://rocketseeds.com/growing-guide-cultivating-marijuana-seeds/

I saw a lot of helpful comments. Thanks everyone!

The blue zone but pricey 4500 per 24x36 12 feet tall greenhouse 15000 I think cubic feet ultraviolet light I think scrubs the air

Hi everyone! We produce a live talkshow “Calling All Growers with Liz Grow” that includes lively and informative conversations about the art, the science, and the culture of growing cannabis. Guests on this show have included Jim Belushi, Ed Rosenthal, Wendy Kornberg from Sunnybis, a second-generation grower from Humboldt, Ben Morgan Dillon of Acadia Farms in MA, “Soil King” Patrick King, and many more great people! Next show is May 11th, I highly recommend checking it out and tuning in.
https://www.procannabismedia.com/calling-all-growers-with-liz-grow

Hi
I have three plants and the leaves are turning very early on in the growth cycle (see pictures)
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Regards
GirlsGrow.pdf (181.2 KB)