A Very Counterintuitive Dewaxing/Water Washing Method

I’m a certified organic ethanol extractor and I don’t have the money or space to extract anywhere close to -20 to do a spin type extraction at scale so I extract at room temp. I recently got a membrane system to try and deal with this but it still doesn’t quite do a good enough job to put into a wiped film as I am still dialing it in. This puts me in a tight spot for a few reasons because I’m getting more business, but I will very soon be swamped and I don’t want to let people down.

Being certified organic puts me in a tight spot because I can’t do the standard heptane water wash to methanol LLE to fix this problem because both of those disqualify me from organic status the second, they touch my product. I can only use organic ethanol, which is miscible with almost everything. My first thought was limonene, but it is soluble with ethanol.

Then I had a thought: long chain triglycerides are insoluble with 95% ethanol at room temperature.

I decided to try something very odd, use vegetable oil instead of heptane and ethanol instead of methanol.

So I tried it. First I tried to see if these two things would form separate layers; I anticipated that I’d have to wash some ethanol soluble out of the oil at the very least, so I started with 20g of oil and 20g of ethanol. Sure enough separate layers, but emulsified once I shook it, so I stuck it in the freezer to see what would happen. Sure enough the oil solidified and the ethanol floated on top. I boiled off all the remaining ethanol and there was a slight oily residue left, which is to be expected, but I put it on my scale which has a 10mg LOQ and got a big fat 0. So this means I don’t even need to wash this oil, which is really nice. Now for the real deal.

Dissolved 12g of 60% extract into 36g of walmart vegetable oil and basically fucked my crude with a non-volatile impurity (hopefully we’ll fix this. Then did a regular brine wash with warm water. I had to heat gun it a bit to break the emulsion, but it worked like a treat. Did a few of those until oil layer clouded minimally, then washed with a more water to remove any salt.

Drained off the bottom water layer and dumped in 25mL of 95% ethanol. I gently swirled it but minimal color came over so I shook it violently and got a very fine emulsion, so I said fuck and stuck it in my freezer set to -26C. When I came back in 30 min I was left with 2 layers, a dark brown ethanol layer and a solid green layer on the bottom. This made me really happy and I repeated the process 3 more times and I yielded the same thing.

After boiling down the solvent, I was left with 7g of concentrate which had a very thick sappy consistency the same as THC (I did this with THC so I could go by viscosity because CBD can be confused for wax easily).

I have to say, I cannot believe this works. Dewaxing with triglycerides… diametrically opposed to what we aim for. I know this isn’t necessarily new ground, especially for a lot of the seasoned people on here like myself would just use heptane and methanol and go from there, but for the hobbyists and home extractors/chemists who aren’t comfortable using methanol or heptane this is actually really cool because its a cheap and available way to do a high grade job of washing dewaxing, and removing chlorophyll.

I’m now going to scale this and run a proper 5L distillation run and see how it looks and report back.

22 Likes

I experimented with something like this a while back while attempting to come up with a USDA organic CRC process using vegetable oil as the solvent rather than heptane. But I never thought too much about this potential use. I’m excited to see if this works for you.

9 Likes

I know it’s been a while, mainly because I forfeited my USDA organic status when transitioning to cannabis. If I can use methanol and heptane, then why not.

I just realized a much better way to go about this. Dewaxing was not really feasible using this new method, but dewaxing was always possible using organic ethanol.

The main thing that was not possible was any kind of LLE since the raw oil is too viscous for that. However, I’ve made my own FFAs with some lye and random oil. This is an organic process since you’re technically making soap, but you can also buy FFAs.

My FFA of choice would be lauric acid since it smells good and doesn’t go rancid. The melting point is 43C so you’ll need to do this with hot brine, but once you’re done, you purge it and the FFA’s will distill out in the heads fraction well before any cannabinoids do. Be sure to swirl and not shake violently and use A LOT of salt (a softened KCL salt may be necessary) as this will want to form emulsions like crazy, but you will need to purge the water before distillation and the FFAs will come out anyway so it’s kind of a cool concept. I don’t have any time to actually try this, but it sounds kind cool. I’ll give it a crack if I can at some point.

4 Likes