A Theory on BHO/Rosin Decarboxylation with Natural Terpene Preservation

Totally agree.

:thinking:

Noted.

1 Like

I would recommend using LJ Star clamps on those 6" connections. Our engineers made us do the same on our skid.

They’re pricey, sure, but they are definitely beefier. You can get them elsewhere, but these are an example of what I’m talking about. L.J. Star SSH Series High Pressure Clamps | BVV

I have some of those high pressure tri-clamps from a system that had 250 PSI PRVs. I am wondering why your PE made yall use those clamps, what PRV is installed?

Was heat the reason the PE gave for going with the beefier clamps?

I’m pretty sure they’re cheaper if you buy them direct. They’re not all that much more than the decent quality no name China clamps.

If your PRV fails to open you want your clamp to not fail catastrophically. Buying something from a reputable manufacturer that has a pressure rating gives a bit more certainty of that than a random non-name “probably better than standard grade triclamp”

3 Likes

To be frank, I don’t know for sure, LOL, I assumed the engineers knew WTF they were doing and trusted their analysis. But I suspect you are correct that heat may have been the reason, as well as them being made by a verifiable, solid manufacturer instead of potentially suspicious clamps sourced from who knows where.

The skid is rated for 250 psi, my PRVs are set to ~225.

2 Likes

^^^^this^^^^

@UneekkUserName is running with more head space and lower pressure PRV (125 psi)

… ideally you don’t want it to be an option at all!!

Both @Dannywarbucks and @UneekkUserName’decarb units are designed explicitly to have enough head room so that the PRV are not actuated during normal operation.

Math is/was done each time to ensure this.

If the boss walked in and decided he could get more done if he overfilled either unit, THEN we get into “what if the prv fails to open” territory. Hash can absolutely change the pressure the valve opens…

2 Likes

Call placed, answer expected shortly RE: LJ Star clamps.

2 Likes

@cyclopath once again you are correct!

We picked the 6"x6" jacketed pot and 36" spool to provide adequate headspace such that the PRV is not actuated during normal operation. The 6x6 jacketed pot only holds enough BHO (when completely full) to reach 115 psi at full temp/decarb.

Therefore an operator or boss would have to remove the pressure vessel lid and overfill with BHO from the top to get the PRV to actuate. Then they would loose the extra BHO that doesn’t fit into the 6x6 pot when they go to recover the product.

The control system also monitors pressure and controls the heater. If the pressure reaches 125 psi the control system shuts off the heater to not exacerbate the over pressure condition.

3 Likes

How are they retaining and increasing their terpene concentrations if they are also auto burping throughout the decarb? Wouldn’t this allow for terpenes to escape as well?

6 Likes

Decent question…would have to play with one to determine the magnitude of that loss, but I would agree that it has to be non-zero

2 Likes

Sorry about the delay in getting an answer on this. So the engineers said that due to the fact that very few manufacturers have appropriate engineering information for their “high pressure clamps” they mandated LJ Star clamps. As an alternative, they also suggested high pressure clamps from HFS.

2 Likes