A local homebrewer is selling his used equipment. Can I repurpose it for my 5L SPD ethanol setup?

Link to IMGUR album.

I am building a lab with a 5L SPD and a 5L Rotovap from usalab. I’ve been browsing this forum for about a year but I really have no idea what I’m doing, and I’m doing this alone. A local homebrewer is selling a bunch of equipment and I’m wondering if I can repurpose some of this stuff for my needs.

(Image 1, Image 2, Image 3)I’m still working on solving winterization without dropping stacks on a real cryo-freezer. He has a modified kegerator with a sleeve installed. It’s a cheap-o for sure, manufactured by Electrolux with model # FFFC11M4QWA using R134A refrigerant. It was down to 11 degrees F without any modifications to the temperature gauge. I was going to pull the temperature gauge out and try to get it as low as it can go for now. Unfortunately he’s asking $500 for this freezer, and while it’s very convenient with the modified sleeve especially considering how busy I am solving other problems, I know I could build one of these for half that price.

(Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4)Next are his modified kegs. I hear these are useful for bucket tek with dry ice. Every minute spared from having to modify this equipment myself is ideal, but I’m not sure if these configurations are ideal for hemp. No lids and I’m afraid the pipe fittings might be too small.

Next is this sighted glass. I’m not sure where or what I would use this for but I sometimes see them or hear them mentioned on this board.

(Image 1, Image 2)Stainless steel conical fermenters. I’ve seen these referenced many times on this board, but I’m not super clear on how I would use these, how I would modify them, and how ultimately useful they are.

Various pipe fittings and clamps. I have no clear idea of how I would use these, but I imagine as I upgrade these could be useful down the road and perhaps I should go ahead and grab these while I’m here?

Modified 55-gallon drum. Pipe fittings seem robust and I recall a recent post by Future where he modified a couple of these for cold extraction. I’m concerned the pipe fitting may be too small though.

Stainless steel filtering chamber. This seems like it could be useful but also superfluous.

Thank you for any advice!

1 Like

Yes you can

Just abandon cryo and come to the dark side of Adsorbants and LLE.

Those conical fermenters paired with a sight glass and a UV bulb would be great sep funnels, and also function as large filters.

The filter housing is useful as well- what do you have for removing solvent from biomass?

2 Likes

Does adsorbents refer to celite/charcoal thru a buchner funnel? I’m looking forward to trying that but I haven’t learned about LLE yet. I’m watching some MIT videos I found through the search bar right now haha.

The filter housing is useful as well- what do you have for removing solvent from biomass?

I have a Panda with this custom drain spout from Rock Steady.

We’re gonna start producing micron filter liners for those pandas so keep an eye out for em

Adsorbants refer to a whole host of powders that resolve various issues, color being one of them

5 Likes

You gonna make a post when you start selling them? I definitely need some my man!

Yep. Should be sometime soon!

Yeah so I just picked up a salad spinner. Doesn’t spin nearly as fast as a panda, but it can run 7+ lb runs. If I get the dimensions of the basket, could you do a special order for some bags for this beast?

Did you end up buying this equipment?