A Foolish Lab Accident | Share Yours if you Wish

The most dangerous accident in my career thus far occurred a few days ago and I think it would be better to share it than bury it (along with my head) in the sand despite my desire to. I’ll preface this with the fact that no one was hurt, and I was the only one who would have suffered direct injuries from this, which was by design and my only saving grace here.

I was installing a nitrogen line between my extraction setup and nitrogen generator and I prefer soldering hard line copper for most of my gases and heat exchange lines since I am qualified to install it, it’s cheap, long lasting, and osha approved for compressed gases. I had assembled the main spine of the line and pressure tested the main line with the generator to ensure all my joints held. I was extra careful to inspect and clean each joint since it’s a long run and in the ceiling, making leak hunting laborious. No surprise, held wonderfully.

I come back the next day to finish the work on the ends that would connect to my manifold. I inspect a joint between a valve and pipe on the other side of the main line that looks like it may have a small gap; I like to ensure these are sealed and I hit it with a touch of flux and solder (I know this is controversial, but I’m anal about my surface perp, so leaks are mostly due to a lack of solder). I had to warm it up quite a bit as valves have quite a bit more mass to heat up but my map torch gets it up quickly so I can start to add solder.

For a brief moment, I see the valve shift slightly, before it shot off violently towards the ground. A small amount of molten flux and solder sprayed my face and there was a loud pop that left my ears ringing.

I had left the generator on overnight and hadn’t depressurized the line; when fixing the joint on the non-pressurized side of the valve, heat travelled up the valve to a joint under pressure and melted the solder enough to cause the system to rapidly depressurize. Nothing was broken, I didn’t sustain any burns or lasting hearing damage. The valve was also point down and it fortunately shot away from me, not harming my feet.

This was a mistake I was better than making, I usually double check during normal operations all my valves and gauges and am classified by my co workers as a paranoid maniac, but I had forgotten to shut off the generator, close the valve and depressurize the line; this is a rookie mistake in my opinion, though gases are a bit more hazardous than water. I felt and feel stupid about this and have scrutinized myself harshly.

Despite this, I’m not really shaken up by this at all; I’m not afraid of death and perform dangerous work constantly (soldering, climbing, fabrication, chemistry). Danger and hazards are inherent to the things I want to do; I’d rather die than not do the things I find compelling or interesting.

However, mistakes will happen and in our line of work and they can be easily fatal. You are responsible for your safety, and you must ensure accidents aren’t fatal when they occur. I removed all flammable solvent from the room, I always stand back from pipes since I’ve had valves burst on me for no reason and steering clear of potential projectiles is a good reflex to have. This valve shot off so fast that there is no way for me to have avoided it; I blinked and missed it.

I figured I’d tell this story because I think everyone can learn from this in their own way. Proffessionals can make mistakes; mine was absent minded and I’m going to be more present when doing construction work like this and make sure anyone I work with does so as well.

If anyone is willing to share their accidents, spills, or anything of the sort, I’d implore you to share them. Reading about other’s mistakes has prevented me from making many more foolish mistakes like this one.

37 Likes

Thank you for sharing.

And I would also add, “responsible for the safety of those around you.” Our actions can have consequences that directly or indirectly impact the safety and wellbeing of those around us.

18 Likes

Whatchu talkin ‘bout Willis? I nailed its feet to the floor…

8 Likes

I’m glad you shared and very good this is only a cautionary tale, not an accident investigation.

5 Likes

nailed? Ratchet straps ain’t good enough for ya? So what, you wanna live forever?

4 Likes

Actually, leashes aren’t a horrible solution, especially if you hook one to the e-stop.

Had a sorval RC-1 or 2 get most of the way through a wall before it unplugged itself once upon a time (‘84?) and a Beckmann that wandered out into the middle of the room to perform the same trick (‘06-ish). Neither were my fault. Cleanup/repair was on the ‘06.

@Neutral; glad what you got was the cosmic 2x4 landing gently in your lap. Taking that one upside the head would have sucked big time.

Thank you for sharing…learning from one’s mistakes is important, but it is the ability to learn from other’s mistakes that really makes the difference.

11 Likes

MOTHER. FUCKING. RIGHT.

Respect

11 Likes

I had to upgrade our lab earlier this year and cutting, welding, and grinding was required. We removed/vented all solvent from the C1D1 and filled out the paperwork for the work and started work. During the welding I was using what I believed to be a flame retardant blanket to protect some plastic from slag. I did not notice the fire until the flames were in my welding helmet. The blanket was definitely not fire retardant, it had melted to me and my clothes were on fire. Fortunately between my flailing around and my helper putting the blanket out all was good. No one was hurt, other than feelings. I was not expecting that but I am thankful to have followed procedures which kept the situation from being worse.

Yall stay safe!

5 Likes

I’d like to say I do safety minutes weekly at this point and I usually try to use real world examples from myself and my peers.

Here is one that I have given many times about a previous safety incident which could have lead to much worse consequences. It still governs the way I handle things myself today.

I was performing acetylation reaction as part of creating large molecule (think 8-12 carbon rings) natural products. I was doing this in a laboratory hood, with a blast screen, in a controlled temperature environment, with appropriate cooling apparatus installed and confirmed, wearing appropriate laboratory PPE, and with good laboratory documentation governing what I was doing that had been peer reviewed by a second scientist to make sure my calculations were appropriate.

I started with what was supposed to be an anhydrous starting materials. In this case, I had received them directly from the Chemistry Stores at the university, in sealed containers that were appropriately labeled.

I went forward with the combination to get the reaction started. This was a reaction I had done many times before, successfully performing the reaction and using chromatography to separate out the different reaction compounds. Within minutes, the ice in my reaction bath had melted, the material inside my round bottom flask started squealing and off-gassing, and moments later exploded within the lab hood. Effectively destroying everything else that was in the hood with it, damaging the blast shield, starting a fire and destroying all the apparatus.

Further review would show that my ingredients which were listed as anhydrous were not at all. That this started a runaway reaction within the flask which without sufficient additional temperature control brought the reaction materials up to their flash points, one of which started off-gassing which then caused the flask to flame up and explode.

Since this incident - I look at documentation and labeling but I also confirm when there is a critical control point which could cause a runaway reaction. I continue to remind myself how many times I have seen people perform reactions when they “should” be pulling down the blast sash or using a blast shield, but they choose not to do so. Or how many times I have seen people do experiments or reactions outside of a hood/flame control area.

Now I have internal checks to make sure that reagents are correct before moving forward - even the simple test to confirm water presence would have prevented this explosion.

And I’m here today without being maimed or anything like that - because I used a hood, with a blast sash, and I had appropriate PPE and fire extinguishers near by (and training to use them). So the hood, experiment, apparatus, and contents of the hood were destroyed - but I wasn’t harmed and the fire was contained.

Could have been a lot worse that day. What if I would have walked away instead of sticking around to watch my experiment? What if I wouldn’t have used the hood sash and blast shield? What if there wasn’t a fire extinguisher nearby?

Still drives my reagent handling today - even when I’m doing huge processes instead of benchtop work.

That’s just one of my horror stories - sometimes even when you are trying your hardest, there are still things that will try to kill you. <3

9 Likes

Caught my pants on fire welding a gravel trailer and didn’t feel it cause of the boots. Sure as shit smelled it and felt it shortly afterwards though.

10 Likes

A floor may look fine, but if inappropriate materials were used, it can become slick as ice with the first bit of liquid on it.

On a related note, when falling down, you want to relax as much as possible. I caught some nice air bouncing down those steps, but ended up ok.

6 Likes

Oh boy there are quite a few brain farts in the past but here are some of the more memorable ones- I think it was somewhere around 30 years ago or so, somehow we forgot a large container of lithium aluminum hydride open and completely destroyed the lab in the ensuing fire. A few years later I am standing there looking at the 50 L flask on the mantle and I think to myself why is this not boiling off yet? And it hits me, I forgot to put in the boiling stones, so I open one of the necks and looking down at it I drop a few boiling stones into the flask… Very stupid thing to do! It was as if someone opened up a steam hose of chemicals right onto my face.
I think it was about 7 or 8 years ago after finishing a run of bho I took my equipment apart and cleaned everything. One of the pieces I was cleaning was a 2 inch ball valve. I was cleaning it with acetone. So the bulb valve was in the closed position and I poured some acetone into the orifice and cleaned one side and then did the same to the other side and with the acetone still sitting on top of the the ball valve in the closed position I decided to open the valve while looking down at it. Unfortunately when I closed the valve while the system was still together it was under pressure and so the center of the bull valve was pressurized and as soon as I spun it open it shot the acetone right into my face and into my eyes which blinded me immediately. It took a few days but eventually I could see out of both my eyes again.

9 Likes

Autoclaving 5L erlenmeyers for algae culture. Had a cycle complete about 45 minutes before our out time for the day. Standard SOP is to allow the bottles at least an hour before cooling down, but being that I was under a time crunch, I figured I would use some hot gloves and pull it out early.

When I pulled the flasks out (there were probably about 4-5 on a tray) the water didn’t appear to be boiling or even that hot. Apparently, the water within was superheated, and when I placed the tray down on the table (with my face directly over it), the shock of setting it down gave the water the little shock it needed to rapidly boil, causing 3 of the bottles to immediately begin boiling violently, the hot water shot straight up into my face and caused second degree burns in some spots, although basically my entire face was burned like I had the worst sunburn of my life.

Since then, I followed the SOPs and have avoided burns ever since.

As a bonus, one time I was washing out a carboy with muriatic acid, and when I emptied it into the waste bin, I got splashes of it on my nipple (outdoor clam farm in Florida, shirts were optional). Let me tell you, acid on the nipples hurts very badly and leaves you with what feels like severe chafing for about 2 weeks.

7 Likes

Latest stupidity of mine was
Had the brilliant idea that to keep the quench cool a bit of dry ice in the reactor should not harm
Ter
T I forgot that I had lowers the second propellor well below liquid level Wich usually I place above the liquid level
To smash the bubbles created by the instant boiling of the dry ice
So dumped two scoops of dry ice in and saw the boil race upwards but this is a glass 50 L chineese reactor so pressure buildup is a big No No
At at first I smacked my hand on the lid orrifice then realized pressure should not be build up and by the time I relaxed my hand oil/solvent was spraying side ways everywhere once I took the hand off a huge fountain of tincture was blasting it s way out
Pffffff the place was a mess
O well shit happens

6 Likes

XD I definitely tested my luck with stainless and psi lol.
A lesson glad to have learned without loss.
Hahaha always having a lighter on me in my pocket was probably a big no no too. Happy to have quit smoking for two months straight cold turkey and not had any flammable accidents before hand. Guardian angels. Luck. Call it what you want. I’ve got it.

Terp explosion :exploding_head:
A couple lab techs were doing post terpene refinement.
The terps were being winterized in subzero freezer, and, any hydrosol crystals were being filtered out
They’re transferring the freezing Terps into new 1 gallon jars. They managed to squeeze 4 L into a 1 gallon jar, resulting in no headspace at all.
They did this with multiple 1 gallon jars. Then put them back into deep freeze.

At a later date, they pulled several of these large 1 gallon glass jars filled to the max with high quality, refined terps from deep freeze.

As the Terpenes begin to warm up, they fluctuated in volume and exploded! :boom:

Terpenes are highly volatile compounds that fluctuate in volume depending on temperature. You always want to have enough head space, and use shatter proof rated containers.

12 Likes

i learned extraction off youtube. On some video they showed flashing off the butane using a lighter!!!??? I had done that and it made nice shatter off fresh harvest using like a can of tane almost fully evaporated via hot water bath. Youtube didnt even show a vac chamber yet. So of course like a dummy i put a pan into my actual bath with some hot water to purge. then I lit it??? the purged butane had pooled and it made a fireball and caught the shower curtain. then I grabbed it to put it out and the flaming curtain wrapped me. sucked pretty bad. be safe.

8 Likes

Simple accidents like these are ones I appreciate as much as the complex ones. I was lucky enough to be educated in chemistry and have safety beaten over the head so probably wouldn’t have done something like that as a novice (probably), but a lot of people here are much more DIY with their chemical/engineering training (I am with the engineering part) and it’s easy to miss something seemingly simple.

Shit like that is why we have closed loops in the first place, so I certainly won’t knock you for it.

2 Likes

Didnt double check someone elses work before they asked for help. Ended up taking a triclamp with 30 psi to the face.

Luckily I got away from it without any lasting injuries

6 Likes

Used to open blast back in like 2015 on a homies hill. Would just do 2-3 coffee filters, zip tied onto glass tubes capable of fitting half pound or so. Boss kept complaining about how much oil we were losing to the coffee filters, so convinced me to blast a couple tubes mixed of weed + like 30 coffee filters each.

Coffee filters jammed up the tube, built pressure, and shot straight out the filters at the bottom of the tube. First ever blowout for me, and thought I was dead for a second. Was so thoroughly covered in oil, could barely open my eyes.

Plenty lessons here (don’t open blast), but the bigger one to me is to never let your boss convince you to do something they won’t do, and doesn’t fully understand.

16 Likes