A curious question about the use of Trim or Premium Buds for various runs or products

I have heard some commercial operations will only throw their trim into distillate and not the premium buds.

I was always of the impression that fire in fire out but I am curious about the logic and the end results. I was just offered trim by the plug at a cheaper rate. Is there a large gap between quality of the exact same process and strain between premium flower and trim?

1 Like

If making bho or hash, buds will make a better product. In fact I dont think most people on here even realize how nice nug runs are because it costs like 20-30 a g to make and wholesale value is still at 10/g because the market is flooded with people that don’t know or care to know the difference. I used to run 2000 dollar pounds that would yield 90 grams of oil at 40-50 a gram.

For distillate theres no point. Run trim because thc is thc. Nothing special about nug run distillate

9 Likes

I understand. Looking to me like more of an viability issue than an issue with quality. Though I am curious as to why there is no point in using buds for Distillate. I’ll go article diving and see what I can find on that subject in particular.

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

Would you buy fiji water to make distilled water?

8 Likes

That was my initial reasoning but someone told me off about it on another site ie. why bother using fire buds for this and that… then my plug brought up the possibility of using trim and I thought I would read up more before considering it.

You strip out the stuff that modulates the experience when you distill.

3 Likes

I was wondering why there was distinction between retail cannabis products and their clear advertising on some products as “full spectrum”. I understand.

Consider THC as alcohol. There are many different grades. Fine wine is worth more than vodka. I can take fine wine and distill it down to just ethanol, or basically vodka. I can, and if I need vodka will, but it seems a waste of fine wine.

4 Likes

“full-spectrum” doesn’t exist. It is a marketing term made up by frat boys to wow people whom think they are better than others.

The products marked as full spectrum are often just crude oil destined for distillate. The frat boys get greedy and want more.

This is why this community treats the frat boys (“Chads”) as second class citizens.

9 Likes

End result distillate is just distillate. It doesn’t matter what input material you use. @YeahBet views differ. We had a conversation about this last yr iirc.

I would say the only difference is yield will be higher on buds verse trim.

This is probably the best response right here.

If you can make distillate from “sock wash” (the mesh bags used to make getting the cannabis in and out of the tube easier, rinsed with ethanol to remove the remaining cannabinoids), why would I waste high quality material in that?

The issue is folks thinking that “the clear” is a premium product. It’s not. It takes great grapes to make a fine wine. Any old sugar source can be used make vodka. Even the good stuff…

3 Likes

if youre going for disty then it doesnt matter - although. depending on your extraction and subsequent post-processing, your overall potency may suffer. this can be avoided with different clean ups (or extraction parameters) for different levels of potency. however that comes with its own set of challenges.

for example, the typical runs I did at the last place were with trim, but at an average potency of between 15-20 percent. the resulting co2 crude would be around 70%, 80% by the time it got to the wiper. we had some hermed stuff come into the lab that tested out at 4% thc. the crude from it was 28%. it was a gross waxy mess.

once i saw that it went into the retentate collection for re runs lol.

i wouldnt use primo buds for distillate. i WOULD for any other concentrate. this is where the fire in fire out applies.

1 Like

I prefer the gender neutral term “cul-de-sac people”. That upper-middle but desperate and willing to do anything to be fully upper in appearance.

4 Likes

New market: distillate made from redistilled 80 yr scotch

1 Like

The chads are 100% male. The karens are more into the regulations or the photographs, I dont make the rules.

I come from the hood so my only experience with cul-de-sacs are drug gangs and kkk dudes

4 Likes

Think Stepford Wives

Is that normal?? The first cul-de-sac I lived in had 10 year old Mexican kids selling meth on the corner, we used to go up on a hill to watch the neighborhood’s DEA raids. And it was the only place I’ve ever seen a KKK cross burning ceremony, which we found randomly exploring the woods. This was in the bay area of all places.

2 Likes

Hehehe well you know I guess it’s validating :stuck_out_tongue:

This really clears things up. So I won’t bother using Trim runs if I am chasing high end. I am not distilling* anything so no need at this time.

I am starting to notice a :if all else fails" pattern here. If your concentrate runs come out shitty does everyone just throw it into a distiller? haha - it’s pretty damn smart!

1 Like