72 Liter Short Path

To bad spdking is silnenced :joy::joy::joy:

11 Likes

no wonder why its been so peaceful here lately lmaooooooooooooo

6 Likes

When I get home Iā€™ll do a bit of calculation, but itā€™s not a question in my mind that a 28cfm vacuum pump will never get below 10^-2 torr.

No diffusion pump or turbomolecular pump? Youā€™ll be fighting vapor pressure for years.

If I were you Iā€™d go for a bigger roughing pump for sureā€”Iā€™m interested to see what ultimate vac you can reach

3 Likes

that would require such extensive coldtrapping, would be sick af tho

4 Likes

I mean if you got a 72L vacuum pump you better expect to be cold trapping the shit out of the system.

Also, I feel like Iā€™d smell like the cold tentacles of death after distilling with an E2M28 for (probably) like 8 hours straight and the exhaust blowing straight into the room :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Probably an E2M80 and blower together is the ticket. I bet it would double his output speed. Definitely needs kf-40 the whole way tho

7 Likes

Iā€™ll take a photo and video tomorrow.

2 Likes

Looking forward to itā€”as @goldleaf_scientific said an E2M80 would keep up very well, but youā€™ll become aware of your CFMs being a limiting factor pretty quickly.

Regardless of the vacuum, this setup is very cool. Congrats

3 Likes

Kf40 minimum

Youā€™d be surprised at how overblown the turbomecular pump blowup warnings really are- we ran multiple turbos on a Chinese WFE in Nevada and didnā€™t have any issues,

2 Likes

theres a ton of energy in thoses rotating blades! overblown? potentially yes, ive seen some abused turbos before, they can take some abuse. however the danger is still there, we had a defective turbo grenade in an old mass spec we had, was a total loss, and a terrifying experience. sciex ended up replacing everything in the end tho!

these arent my pics, but check out this grenaded 10" turbo

if a turbo ever grenaded, and the blades some how escaped containment, then yeah your going to have a terrible, terrible time. turbos are to be respected.

11 Likes

We ran them 8-9 yrs ago with a stainless steel cold trap and dry ice all day for yrs and never had a problem

2 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s what we used too-

@RockSteady it trying to downplay what happens when they do asplode but the way I see some folks tiptoe around em is a bit extra

1 Like

of fursure, people are afraid of them, ive noticed this at tons of spots! its just another pump, but just with a blender spinning at 60k rpms. follow startup protocol, keep a cold trap cold, and dont hit it with a hammer mid run and youll be fine lmaooo

still one must see potential dangers in the lab and identify them. lots of shit is dangerous tho, and a turbo is no more dangerous then any other piece of gear we typically use.

4 Likes

I did that whole identifying dangers in the lab thing a few timesā€¦

People fucking hate it when you come through and tell them that they are mismanaging their little holes in the wall.

Unless youā€™re there specifically to address issue such as theseā€¦ itā€™s likely not worth it.

1 Like

Ya we took precautions and this was way back in the beginning when pope would hang up on you if you werenā€™t from a university and no company sure as shit wanted me to just come buy one.

1 Like

Itā€™s a beast alright!

Not sure which glass got broken on the R&D unit here in OR, but I do recall stopping by one day to hear that it was downā€¦

my understanding was that the production head was going to be shorter.

3 Likes

Ahhh so you know my boy!

2 Likes

Iā€™m not particularly afraid of being hurt by a turbo failure but my bank account is lol

5 Likes

The Cyclopath sees all!..

2 Likes