4200 Non-profit: Starting a 501(c)3 for the community. Help Needed

I think there was concerns about using futures name. A completely unique named entity however would dodge that altogether. How about a name and mission vote? I’ll help anyones nonprofit goals.

3 Likes

You cant use a non profit charter that puts you in positions where you can profit off. Owning a 501 c 3 and the businesses in the same space - is kosher - it’s when you have unethical business practice of nepotism and other sketch things where it’s not.

It’s a very fine line.

They will pull your charter faster then you can blink. The process in some states is arguous, because people abuse the shit out of tax free income.

You can still be granted 501 status, but still be taxed like a business. I believe Stellar Lumens the crypto is on this boat.

3 Likes

Let’s do it, I’d like to help some FL guys prepare for REC legalization. It will likely be competitive limited license so giving them advisement on building a team/finding property/developing protocols/etc will give them a huge leg up.

9 Likes

@Future was very specific about not using this forum for our new endeavor. We are not trying to make this Forum a non profit rather some people on this Forum want to start a non profit program separate from this site.

5 Likes

Keep me in the loop on this, I’ve got an Oregon based 501c3 I just started in with some overlapping goals and beneficiaries. I’m also on the Oregon Cannabis Commission’s patient equity sub committee and governance framework sub committee which can come in handy.

12 Likes

You thinking like an incubator?

4 Likes

Yes… but for people that have an idea but just are having a hard time putting the steps in motion. The more i think about it… It might not just be for cannabis as i think ive helped more companies outside the cannabis space than inside of it.

I would like to give people a place to start their business with an opportunity to invest in some along the way… i think it would all about “gain financial freedom so you can do what you wanna do in life” type of incubator…

6 Likes

I mean the system was designed to benefit religious organizations… but no lol… I’m not in charge of the GLG. I’m just an ambassador. And it’s not a religious organization…I just saw

and thought I’d contribute my 2 cents :call_me_hand:

5 Likes

Once upon a time this forum was blessed with a pioneer in our industry. He was a caring and beautiful human being. He devoted his life to the very end helping us even while suffering unbearable pain. He hid that pain from the forum bc he knew it would of distracted all of us. He was on a mission. He wanted to give everything he had to offer to ensure we could advance our craft to further help this world. I heard a few stories with him having open arms when people visited his lab. He never asked for money in return… even when offered it. He just smiled and said “Be kind always”

The quote stuck with me because he was facing certain death and he stood devoted to his passion in life. Teaching us his craft and creating an open atmospheric condition for everybody to learn.

If one of the mission statements is passing our tradition to the next generation. I want to be apart of it but we have to ensure our tradition stays in the right hands. I won’t be an active member at the moment because I’m working relentlessly how it is but one day I’ll like to sit on the board.

I’ll ask my network and start searching for somebody qualified to help with the filing.

We are working on the outreach. The web site we’re creating will be in all languages eventually. The website main purpose was to provide information to the Spanish community. It has evolved. I’ll get in touch with you later today @sidco

6 Likes

Exactly this. I don’t want to tie the forum to any legal entity other than the absolute bare minimum. I haven’t heard a good argument for it anyways.

The non profit would be separate. At most it might help pay some hosting fees or I am open to adding more services.
@Killa12345 Agreed on the voting, lots and lots of voting.
As per who the members are, I had copied that from a conversation with @TouchPoint, it was in no way a set of final members, but a question of how many members we can have involved. I want a lot more people involved. I would 100% bow out and just assist in some whatever roll vs being a board member as long as everything remained transparent.

I wasn’t expecting any pay. I am sure we will want to hire an accountant.

As for the religious group talk, https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/other-non-profits/fraternal-societies might apply more to us?

The goal would be complete transparency. Every $ in and out, public record. Any money left over governed over by very specific rules.

8 Likes

Fraternal societies with potential for chapters seems to be more realistic approach.

7 Likes

i thought the GLG paid for the website… i think this should be used to foster the members of the forum… Not really the forum itself.

I think we are losing focus what this is all about…

im sure if we wanted to have a forum fundraiser for hosting fees… that could and would be accomplished in hours if that much is needed

5 Likes

I am hoping to go beyond the scope of community fund raisers, to include more people, and create some kind of lasting perpetual infrastructure. This is for a good cause.

This is the language used on the IRS website, maybe we just claim ‘outreach’? You can see I need help figuring this out. Do you have a mission statement in mind?

Help members of our internet community achieve their goals in times of need

Any start is a good one.

1 Like

The first step is figuring out

Vaules

Vision

Mission

Means

This will give everybody an understament of the what the non-profit is.

1 Like

501c3 is the tax code section that allows a donation to an approved organization to be tax deductible to the donor. It is not necessary for a corporation organized as a non profit to obtain 501c3 status merely to exist and operate. The difference is the size of donor you will attract. People donating small amounts of money will likely not itemize their tax returns, so the status of the non profit doesn’t matter to them. But large individual and corporate donors will likely only donate to 501c3 organizations. So it is an option to organize the nonprofit to operate at first without 501c3, and then apply for it at some point in the future.

3 Likes

What kinda perpetual infrastructure are we talking about. You must have something on your mind?

1 Like

Like the fraternity I linked above, allow the FL crew to start their own charter, and while still associated with the main lodge, can still make decisions for their region. If one charter fails it’s not the end of the entire thing. I can agree that starting with something simplier might be the correct route, or like @Autumn_Ridge_Hemp said ‘organize the nonprofit to operate at first without 501c3, and then apply for it at some point in the future.’ and not be so quick to apply for anything, remain clear this is member to member gifts or something and not any central entity. I would even argue an entire new site is needed, maybe we help you (anyone, all of us?!) set that up.

11 Likes

Pope @Future :yum:

2 Likes

Make glg a religion then

3 Likes

Call it the GLG
God loving gang!

6 Likes