3L Centrifuge for first pass filtration after winterization?

Just about the most wasteful winterization procedure I’ve ever seen even if it does technically work.

1. Mix crude with warm ethanol 1:4
  2. Pour equal amount into each 500ml PP bottle within 1 or 2 grams, fill 60+ bottles at a time on SS baking sheets
  3. Place in -80c for awhile
  4. Centrifuge for 15min. 3 centrifuges running, so every 5min you’re rushing to…
  5. Decant first supernate carefully, refill with prechilled ethanol to equal weights again and shake. Then put back in -80c for awhile
  6. Centrifuge again, decant second supernate
  7. Waste even more time hand cleaning all 60+ bottles of ethanol saturated waxes.
  8. Realize your waste waxes are still 20% CBD and your ‘proprietary dewaxing tech’ is the dumbest technique ever and your employee is having existential dread because all they do is move freezing cold bottles around 8 hours per day.

So I wouldn’t suggest that route to anyone.

4 Likes

We pellet for 30 min -10*c @ 2272 rcf, It does it in one spin. Then filtration through celite 545 to remove any other junk. Filtration is very fast with the majority of the particles removed, One filter cake in a 4" funnel can handle 25-30 gal of solution easly. You need a fuge with liter sized bottles!

5 Likes

How many kg of crude are you winterizing with that method per shift/8hours? How many man hours does it require?

I just couldn’t imagine choosing that work flow again, especially as it’s an open process. But I’m intrigued if you’re satisfied with it.

6 liter fuge with bottles, 100 grams crude per per bottle. 600 grams every 30 min with each machine.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Did you settle on that method as preferable over others (filter press, something like Sambo’s trolley, etc) or has that always been your tech and a “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” mindset?

Also curious if you use those centrifuges for any other processes? I’ve always wondered if they’d assist with something like THCa isolation. I only have experience with hemp.

4 Likes

sure. you can spin the sauce off your diamonds. rinse the diamonds too.

said use is cited in the Only The Strong sauce tek - #50 by Plant2pipe thread

4 Likes

spinning the terps off the crystals prior to solvent rinse. I find that the thick sludge of terps is the hardest thing to rinse off without melting everything.

3 Likes

Anyone familiar with the “The Escet Method”?
Claims to avoid winterization step in filtration and low proof alcohol.

1 Like

No, tell me more.

2 Likes

Patent app: US20160228787A1 - Method and Apparatus for Extracting Plant Oils Using Ethanol Water - Google Patents

Dude’s a loucher!

4 Likes

@cyclopath what do you mean by loucher?

Someone who louches their cannabinoids.

http://future4200.com/search?q=louche

2 Likes

Makes sense thx

3900 rpm was enough to cleanly seperate the waxes in the centrifuge?

In that fuge…

You need to look at RCF not rpm when comparing fuges.

What is your goal?!?

My goal is to winterize 3-5kg per day. I have had success with this method just doing one pass using a thermo scientific Sorvall lynx 4000 which is a 4 x 1L bottle fuge with a fixed angle rotor that does 10,500 RPM (20,500 RCF). Centrifuge -80C 3:1 ethanol/crude mix for 15 min at 10,500 RPM → filter through buchner funnel. collect waxes and spin those again → filter. I am looking into getting a fuge for a new facility to do a similar process and also use to help clean up co2 terps. They have benchtop fuges for about a third of the price of the lynx 4000 but are swing bucket rotors and only achieve 6000RPM and 7000 RCF but not sure it ill cleanly pelletize the waxes. Any input or advice?

If your waxes are cleanly pelleted, what is the buchner for?

If 15min with the gravity turned up by 7000 fold doesn’t do the trick, 30min should.

You should certainly be able to test that hypothesis with your current Fuge… (just don’t turn it all the way up!!)

The buchner is a safety measure as we were only doing one pass of wax filtration and there were sometimes little floaters of waxes that got dislodged from the pellet.

I no longer have access to the old fuge otherwise I would certainly try out different parameters. I see @Soxhlet has had success with 30 min @2272 rcf… so it seems this cheaper benchtop fuge will do the trick…

2 Likes

You can settle overnight, then decant and get much (probably not most) of it out, so turning up gravity even 100x will get the job done eventually.