2lb passive to active

@Franklin is correct that pressure is not an issue with those size clamps. However they do stretch and wear out easier and should be replaced as necessary.

That inline sight glass is the weakest point of the system as far as pressure goes. If anything I’d be more concerned about the larger clamp that’s also supporting the weight of the column on that stand up system. I wouldn’t recommend using hinged clamps on a stand up system in general.

Also high pressure clamps are pretty cheap in that size. Do you prefer the convenience over something that will last longer?

1 Like

If your rig isn’t going to he inspected then why would it matter?

yeah. to pull a vac on the tank means you have empty tanks and a safe way to vac a tank. I have an aspirator but only use it on a complete refill and not pulling vac run by run. but if you just open it while cold itll have zero pressure and be like zero psi on recovery while cold. im using carbon refrigerant tank like op/

Why only rotary vane on an empty system?

how did a recovery tank become empty enough to vac? Im cheap so have an aspirator. my vac pump cant do hydrocarbons. other than dilluted ones like oil and thats prolly not even safe with my pump my trs is rated for hydrocarbons but i dont use it as a vc pump.

2 Likes

My tank is never empty so I dont know just curious why he said only a rotary vane pump if its empty. Best is to have another vessel under vac and use that if theres gas in it. Diaphragm pumps work just fine especially empty you could use a turbo molecular if you want too.

to me the time saved by pulling a vac on recovery tanks isnt worth the butane. I have no idea how much weight in butane it is but tanks always have pressure in ambient temps and it seems wasteful to offgas it all and pull vac to save a couple minutes.

I only vac my tank once or twice every 1-2 months when I transfer the 100#’s to the rest of the system and clean it. Every other day its a constantly running system, i also dont use nitrogen so i have no need. It can run 24/7 365 days a yr and never shut it off, just gotta change columns and everything is sectioned off so i can run 1 column 4 columns or all 12 at once or just the honey pot etc.

1 Like

i run a carbon tank and cant clean it. but yeah i pull vac when doing a full refill/ I keep investing in this thing but need to invest more into a stainless tank. I dont like the idea of triclamp and storage but I guess you all do it. I wont use propane mix, i guess i may trust it with just butane.

He’s saying that’s the only time it’s safe to use a rotary vane pump.

1 Like

its funny to me that you all are safety nazis yet you store huge tanks of butane in non asme containers. why arent stainless tanks dot certified? because they arent safe DUH I even saw people on here trying to use a keg with hydrocarbons. that isnt right.

Shut up boomer

5 Likes

Explain to me the dangers of using a keg with hydrocarbons :joy:

I thumped because i did. It was about the tanks, hes using a carbon tank and ive been told its wrong due to rust. but you saw my mental wraparound, I dont trust triclamp with storage. Neither does the dot to transport.

its pressure rated to like 150 a regular tank is to 600 right? beer keg pressure rating - Google Search
bad guage on my nitro tank could explode it easily. its one thing if if breaks a keg in the back of a bar, another thing if its 20 lbs of hydrocarbons on the floor. In general arent the kegs for ethanol? Im cheap and dont see rust in my tank yet but keep hearing i should have a stainless tank? I just went back to butane and am less scared of pressures.

@thumper i would be more worried about the knobs or valve in those cheapo carbon tanks failing . Had a buddy open one up and the second he opened the valve the entire 20lbs of solvent just dumped right out of the tank in a split second . Those cheap carbon steel tanks can be pretty sketchy . I would not want to use one over and over again . Triclamp gaskets are way safer trust me . Lots of us run 1000’s of lbs of hydrocarbons through these rigs on the daily fully assembled with tri clamp gaskets .

3 Likes

its not cheapo, it costs like 100 bux, its a refrigerant recovery rated to 600, not a grill tank. I do see those cheap stainles tanks and if i get paid ill buy one.

The tank you are using is exactly what he is talking about…

Guaranteed.

4 Likes

……
Sounds like a cheap tank to me.

My new recovery tank cost me 6500.

7 Likes