2023 Farm Bill, predictions & insights

Could you provide a link to submit comments? maybe we could even have some suggested points to include.

FDA Concludes that Existing Regulatory Frameworks for Foods and Supplements are Not Appropriate for Cannabidiol, Will Work with Congress on a New Way Forward

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-concludes-existing-regulatory-frameworks-foods-and-supplements-are-not-appropriate-cannabidiol

5 Likes

Cbd price going up :laughing:

7 Likes

Here we go…

4 Likes

Here is a link to tell the SENATE what you think.

Here is a link to tell the HOUSE what you think.

Ideas to consider when writing them:

• How current FDA rules impact your business positive or negative.
  • If you are multi-state how different state rules impact your business
  • If you are plant-touching how rules on testing impact your business
  • If you are a processor how mishmashed rules impact you

Its awesome to have real life examples to bring up with these legislators and their staffers. If you really want to be pushing specific kinds of legislation or regulatory change, feel free to reach out and we can talk about those.

But honestly - just hearing that what you have is not currently working is HUGE. The more people who talk about the impacts to their farms, families, companies, the better. Especially if your congressperson or senator is on one of the Ag committees.

4 Likes

I had not expected negotiations over SNAP to be part of the debt ceiling debate, but they might be. Time will tell if they get that argument done before the farm bill debate or not.

1 Like

He’s trying to claw back like +100 billion in spending. Like so much. Even to things that usually get fully funded (like our troops…)

Its kind of crazy I think. SNAP was discussed last year in the Farm Bill hearings, it had its only like multi-month panel.

The crazy part, to me, is that they all pass these bills. And then they decide not to fund them. Its like why pass the bill if you aren’t planning to fund it?

Still crazier to me is… how the fuck can anyone even think about not taking on more debt to pay back the debts? I mean… we all know what would happen to any citizen if they did that. Bankrupty, inability to take loans for almost a decade, loss of almost all assets except those to live.

And in cannabis even worse - you default on cannabis stuff and you lose EVERYTHING and get garnished wages and maybe go to jail (cause some states are fucking terrible about not paying “court fees”). Because you don’t have access to bankruptcy protections.

So for “the government” to be like - let us discuss if we will pay our bills or not. x.X just mind boggling.

You were willing to spend the money on war and tax breaks and all kinds of other things. You don’t get to decide not to pay for it now…

I mean I suppose they could - but what kind of stupid fuckers are they? Borrowing trillions of dollars, spending all of it, and then thinking about not paying it back even though they have the means.

Crazy shit. Even when they decided they would have the spending cuts for 10 years (which then they wiggled out of to give tax cuts…) it never really worked. What are they trying to accomplish? Even if we had a budget surplus - we’d still have all the debt accrued for the last 230 years… it doesn’t go away just cause you have more. And then people freak out and want you to give them more tax breaks (which they almost always do…) and then you are in a deficit again - even though, you already have the debt.

But maybe they just don’t have good skillz in the mathz. itz possible. i suppose. -shrug-

5 Likes

That’s pretty much what drove my mom to have a breakdown and retire from the state senate, the budget committee nonsense. I couldn’t imagine the fuckery going on at the federal level. And we can’t realistically do anything about it as citizens. Nobody’s going to try to overthrow/overhaul the US government.

3 Likes

Not with that attitude.

2 Likes

I predict money prevails. Who’s money is the real question!

the public dollars initially designed to protect farmers and keep supply managed to feed a hungry nation in the Great Depression are now reinforcing wealthy agribusiness corporations to grow commodities that are not even meant for human consumption

1 Like

I think this is really a lost point here in people talking about the industry being “stifled”. What is the realistic CBD demand in the US? Even if it were universally allowed in food, beverage, and supplements, would people really consume all that much more of it? The amount of hemp grown in the early days was way too much. That level was never sustainable. I don’t think there’s any law anyone can pass that will make that much production make sense…

7 Likes

When I was in the CBD space we crunched the numbers and figured a handful of farms could supply the world.

4 Likes
5 Likes

RAD :joy::joy::joy:. Still think price will double in coming 6 months

All intoxicating cannaboids placed under the medical recreational programs when farmbill gets imploded. The farmbill has negatively impacted expected tax revenue for the feds. Expect this to be
4jra3t

Glasshouse lawsuit putting pressure on alleged backdooring of the industry

Oklahoma people getting locked up left and right for their nonsense

@Roguelab i agree prices have 1 way to go

1 Like

Yep. Obvious to anyone with basic math.

3 Likes

the-price-just-went-up-dwayne-johnson

No offense but im probably just going to listen to the members of the house sub committee and current and proposed legislation not some nobody who made a 20 second click bait on youtube with no source info :man_shrugging:

4 Likes