2023 Farm Bill, predictions & insights

As most of us know, the current farm bill will expire in 2023. It is an important piece of legislation to many people here.

Some basic links:

What will be in the new bill?
Or will the current one expire and throw the cannabinoid industry into chaos? What are your predictions?

4 Likes

Farm Bill will exist. Hemp provisions will probably still exist. We expect the legislature to remove the gray areas around CBD stuff - we don’t know what side they will fall on, but its been pushed for 4 years and the FDA hasn’t gotten on board. We expect that they will expand some provisions regarding import/export.

Will it throw the industry into chaos? I think so. Either because people haven’t planned to plant all the CBD flower that (hopefully) will be needed for a new GRAS food/beverage/cosmetics ingredient. But that’s a lot of wishful thinking.

Will probably clarify the issue with DEA licensed testing labs - since that can has been kicked every year since this started. But maybe not.

Will probably clarify the issue on tribal lands and government lands being used for these things.

I expect there will be continued R&D opportunity for animal feed and other vet products written in (cause those things are happening, and seeing some good results… so keeping a provision online is great). This would be an expansion, most likely aligned with the MMR that just passed last year.

Its possible that given the FDAs stance - that the entire part of the hemp legalization will completely remove the cannabis derived products completely. That would just leave food, fiber, fuel, and other industrial uses.

Especially - if the congress thinks that general legalization is on the table for the cannabis sativa plant. I don’t expect that will happen though. Just options.

8 Likes

I’ve used my state of the art AI to drum up a real life scenario

19 Likes

@Cassin offers up this very insightful assessment of the possible outcomes and @SubstituteCreature memes the shit out of it.

I love this forum.

13 Likes

It wasn’t me! It was the AI!!!

The AI has really curly hair and a major weed problem too

13 Likes

hopefully the get rid of all the conversions and D8 loopholes

2 Likes

Does this AI also love Cuban sandwiches and sending bomdiggity hash and infused truffles to a certain nice lady in CA?

4 Likes

That genie is not going back in the bottle.

9 Likes

My guess: Hemp gets stripped of conversions / tetras / and that licensing gets kicked to Cannabis / Pharma.
FDA is definitely waking up.
My hope: thca for everyone! XD

6 Likes

It does!

It also needs to send a late “happy holidays!” Gift soon too!

AI is a surprisingly convincing hugger. <3

1 Like

Conversions are not the problem

Poorly performed conversions and a disregard for safe end products is the problem

We should not prohibit hemp labs from researching beneficial cannabinoids

Or more affordable methods to produce them

We just shouldn’t be using those resources to synthesize designer THC analogs to market as shady “legal high” products to <21 users

Most consumer items contain converted materials

Hemp is a powerhouse of viable precursors to make safe and beneficial medicines

A blanket ban on chemical conversions would hand over the plant to big pharma and big pharma only

17 Likes

It’s not the research people have a problem with. It’s the sales.

4 Likes

conversions are the problem

all the suits in DC could never imagine gas station dabs and now they see it it will hopefully go away and people can research to their hearts content

1 Like

Lots of large well financed groups lobbying to keep the loopholes. Hopefully they succeed. Free Market is what this country was built on.

7 Likes

do you grow your own tobacco and make your own whiskey and brew up your own vicodin

free market doesn’t exist for controlled substances and the CBD bill was, is, and forever will be a bad idea. CBD doesn’t do shit besides de-value cannabis

5 Likes

Lol @ people in this industry showing any respect to the laws that made cannabis a controlled substance.

Sounds like dispensary investors are mad they had to pay for a license when it should have been free to grow these plants the whole time. It’s what you all get for advocating legalization by lobbyists rather than decriminalization by the people.

10 Likes

Good thing the first two examples aren’t controlled substances… making your own whiskey or homebrew is probably a bad example for the point you’re trying to make.

3 Likes

CBD is incredibly beneficial for tons of people.

28 Likes

People that say this would rather profit off of THC rather than everyone be helped via access to cheap CBD.

6 Likes