2020 hemp thc laws

What are the 2020 laws for thc in industrial hemp? Is it total thc? Or still delta 9?

1 Like

99% sure it has always been and still is TOTAL THC post decarb

5 Likes

Some states currently only do D9, through most of the rest of 2020. Oregon, for instance.

Expect it to end up being Total THC = THCA(0.87) + D9 < 0.36%
The regulations allow for upwards of a 0.06 variance in testing results.

If you’re in a state that doesn’t currently demand ‘Total THC’ testing, make sure you take a good look at the results to make sure they’re compliant before moving across state lines with it…

1 Like

Federally, it’s Total THC… unless your state is working under a pilot program, in which case, the state determines the % (either D9 or Total)… and all states are expected to be total THC on October 31, 2020. The laws change often seem to change overnight, nothing new. Maryland was D9, then total, then D9 again… what a mess. Good luck out there!

USDA: States participating in the hemp program with or without their own pilot program

USDA: Webinar on Domestic Hemp Program (posted within last 24 hours)

1 Like

Ummm idk any pilot programs that say THCa isolate is a compliant hemp product but if what your saying was true we could all be legally smoking diamonds. This whole debate it’s silly everyone knows what’s up it is just a question of willful ignorance at this point

3 Likes

if you could keep it from decarbing technically that would be legal in tn

2 Likes

Well we can agree to disagree I guess :person_shrugging:

What you are saying is true in Kentucky. I am from Kentucky. It is not true, ATM, in Tennessee.

Everything in the interim ruling from the USDA stands

You’re right. The IFR stands although USDA announced Thursday a willingness to bend on sampling window and methodology, dea certification of labs, and remediation. We’ll see if that means anything. In the meantime, states under the 2014 program are not required to follow the IFR until October 31.

2 Likes

Illinois is delta 9 for 2020.

2 Likes

Oregon is changing how they test for THC in hemp:

(8) For testing done prior to January 1, 2020, a sample fails testing if the test report indicates that the sample contains THC of 0.35 percent or greater on a dry weight basis. If a sample from a harvest lot fails required THC testing under these rules the harvest lot fails required THC testing.
(9) For testing done on and after January 1, 2020, a sample fails testing if the test report indicates that the sample contains total THC content calculated in accordance with OAR 333-064-0100(4) of 0.35 percent or greater on a dry weight basis. If a sample from a harvest lot fails required THC testing under these rules the harvest lot fails required THC testing.

The difference is sampling “THC” versus “total THC”.

• “THC” means tetrahydrocannabinol and has the same Chemical Abstracts Service Number as delta-9 THC.
  • “THCA” means tetrahydrocannabinolic acid, Chemical Abstracts Service Number 23978-85-0.
  • “Total THC” means the molar sum of THC and THCA.

Now they will not be testing for “THC” only but for a combination of THC and THCa, for a “Total THC”.

Total THC must be calculated as follows, where M is the mass or mass fraction of delta-9 THC or delta-9 THCA:

M total delta-9 THC = M delta-9 THC + 0.877 x M delta-9 THCA.

Source:
https://secure.sos.state.or.us/oard/viewSingleRule.action?ruleVrsnRsn=253965

My thread on the topic: New Industrial Hemp Laws in 2020

MN is a delta 9 state operating under the 2014 pilot program. I am a current (2020) licensed permit holder the state.

1 Like

The reprieve on Delta 9 feels like a hollow victory in a year when there is an absolute tsunami of product anyway. Don’t see it evening out by October.

1 Like

USDA Website
Status of State and Tribal Hemp Production Plans for USDA Approval

https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/hemp/state-and-tribal-plan-review

Let me know when you’ve got the SOP for hemp derived THCa isolate, lol.

The real question is this…
What if I make a 4 oz brownie dosed with .29% THC?

That would give me over 320mg of THC! Sounds good and legal to me.

1 Like

:rofl::joy: I mean yeah you can chug compliant tinctures too until you get high but all that mct might lube yah up a bit :rofl::joy: you wouldn’t need a hemp derived sop according to the people above. If everything under .3 is legal than thca isolate is legal and therefore you should be able to buy it online, be in possession of, buy/sell etc

I live in TN but born in raised in ky an go often I feel like these 2 states has so much untapped potential

All laws clearly state THCA x .88 = THC Content. I’m assuming that is a direct d9 conversion the laws are assuming as well.

1 Like

I think you might be misinformed. If you refer to part 7 of the Minnesota hemp pilot program acknowlegements that were distributed to all hemp pilot program participants in 2020; it reads “the definition of hemp is: the plant cannabis sativa whether growing or not, containing not more than .3% delta 9 thc POST DECARBOXYLATION.” Please correct me if i am wrong.

1 Like