2012 Called- They Want Their Open Blasting Inline CRC Questions Back

A little context, open blasting was never my thing. My employee (Let’s call him “Jim”, God bless him) loves cannabinoids of all sorts and has projects back on his property. This was his question, so don’t shoot 'ol @AgTonik if this is out of line.

Can you do inline CRC with Chem Tek W1 while open blasting BHO?

I’m using the search bar and I found one thread that says it can be done, but how would one prevent media from leaking into the extract through the screen with a BVV open extractor as an example?

How would you create a cake without contamination of the extract? Alcohol isn’t compatible with bentonite, so is making a slurry out of the question?

Any tips for where I can look to find this information?

3 Likes

Tampons lol, a felt filter would probably work if you staged em right.

Problem would be you’d have to use room temp tri blend or something if you’re just trying to squirt straight from a can into the tube to get enough psi to go through the powders and felt filter.

You’d still have to have a closed column though. Can’t see how you’d do it with one of those open ended glass tube.

Also, I owe you some damn trinkets still for being MoM!

I’ll get em out this weekend to ya, sorry for the delay brotha!

5 Likes

I’d say adding a CRC to an open blasting column is crossing into the realm of needing a real closed loop. Higher pressures are often involved in pushing through a crc. Getting the solvent to move through the material and through the CRC is going to be tricky unless you run warm blended gas…I’m assuming dude is using canned gas…

9 Likes

Yep, canned 'tane. Suprised no one has kaboomed themselves with hobbies like that.

I had someone much smarter than myself suggest post-blast external filtration.

Thanks for the input everyone!

3 Likes

I forget who was telling the story, but one of their homies lost an arm from blowing up trying to open blast kief. I can’t imagine even considering open blasting, let alone try to CRC during open blast… People never cease to amaze me, lol

3 Likes

Eh, in small amounts I can see it, I open blasted a ton back in the day.

Once you get to more than qp or so per run, then I’d say don’t do it ever.

4 Likes

I was just afraid of bad things happening. Just my luck… I’ve watched the countless videos of stupid people doing stupid things with stuff they know nothing about, and that helped bring awareness (if you will) of the seriousness of being irresponsible with solvents (of any type really).

2 Likes

pretty sure @Waxplug1 did much of his magic dirt R&D in an open Buchner.

the trick would seem to be keep everything nice and cold…

8 Likes

whip.it premium 420ml.can have enough propane to be chilled w dry ice to about -30ish and will.still come out fine. it gets a lil thicker tbh though

I’d use tri clamp.welded.disk. but without push ud probably be better off running warm gas like c.miner said.

freeze material w dry ice and run warm gas idk. this. layer. it’s not safe at all and I wouldnt use anything other than w1 w plenty filter plates still. I use to open blast closed colum style bc u can close the valves and keep the pressure…reach max pressure and keep can pressed on when it wont take more as u release the valve
…the full can will keep u some push

I wouldn’t do this anywhere other than outside and if it’s open blast only idk if I’d try it at all
I could do small crc cake w closed column I’m sure but its still not safe.
hell honestly u could hook tank up to closed column if u wnated

3 Likes

A coarse ground media like media bro’s CRX or CRY that won’t create flow restrictions might be more suitable for this application. You could use a felt filter and secure with a screen gasket. A sintered disk at the end would probably achieve a more desirable flow rate.

Pack material directly on top of the media and run through proper filtration. With zero flow restrictions you should be able to open blast as normal. Get the gas as cold as possible to minimize loss of yield to the media.

9 Likes

Shell out $50 in fittings and $150 for a tank and push it with some nitrogen if pressures are gonna be an issue with your powders

1 Like

I really respect the bright folks here at F4200. At the end of the day, I probably need to buy him a proper CLS for safety.

7 Likes

Not saying to do this at all…but when i used to do crc with a buchner…i would blast into a pot on dry ice…the dry ice kept the gas from off gasing heavy…after sitting for a few hrs in a cooler with dry ice the fats would drop out…then i passed that solution through a DE cake on a buchner funnel to strip the fats…the fat free solution would then go into a clean pot…then i would add b80 and stir the solution with a spatula…finally pass it over the DE one more time to remove the b80 and boom. Water clear slabs.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsPOY7wHXPM/?igshid=1hybujkbe68o5

17 Likes

where u get SS recovery tank this cheap?

1 Like

Never put crc in the tube, buchner tek is way safer than the pressure of the open blast

4 Likes