2” pope parameters need help!

Hello! I was wondering if any one had a rough cbd sop for a 2” pope system??? Any help is appreciated.

You’re going to need to dial in your parameters, but given a standard vacuum and the usual heating band evaporator they tend to run on those 2" popes… try starting with your evaporator set to 180c and your condenser to between 70c and 90c. Run your wipers, assuming they’re the standard pfte ones on 2" popes, as fast as you are comfortable with. Slowly increase your feed, also assuming you have a gravity fed addition funnel without a pump, until you’re satisfied with the split between residue and distillate.

Your 2" Pope has very small evaporator surface area so I’d reccomend a higher residence time than you might go for on a larger WFE.

Be 1000000% sure your feedstock is FULLY decarboxylated or suffer the consequences

3 Likes

Evaporator temperatures depend entirely on your vacuum level.
Condenser temperatures should be as low as possible while still being hot enough to let the product flow into the receiver flask.
The bigger your pump and better the cold trap the lower you can go on evap temp.
Some guys can make it work at 120 C but that take 20 microns or so.

1 Like

Start with the vta sop and adjust

3 Likes

@Kingofthekush420 nice recommendation! When we first started on our 2" pope wiper we used the VTA SOP. @Gnomegrown if you have any questions after going through the VTA SOP DM me and I’d be more than willing to talk shop about it. I wish you the best of luck in your R&D

2 Likes

You guys are amazing! Thank you for the amazing replies!! Helped out a lot!

We mainly distill THC, but we have some very high CBD strains and a 1:1 that we distill often. I have had great luck at evaporation set to 170-180, and condenser set to 88-96. Feed speed is pretty low, we have the peristaltic pump and an older version and only get the feed speed up to notch 2. However potency is consistently above 90% and were able to produce over a liter a shift so its good enough for our production right now. Average vacuum when distilling can range from 150-300 mtorr, the edwards we inherited is due for a rebuild but we cleaned her up and make it work.

Make sure you do a proper first pass or some type of terpene strip. The vapor path on the 2" pope likes to co-distill terpenes if you dont get them out, and you will definitely notice from smell and test results not peaking above 90%.

I thank @Kingofthekush420 mostly for getting me here. Definitely read through his SOP’s and listen to the man.

1 Like

I’ll send you the wiper sop that’s on the glg website if you’d like

2 Likes

You guys are amazing. Found exactly what I was looking for in here. I just inherited a 2" Pope and was having some difficulty dialing in the parameters. I found that 180C on the evaporator, 60C on the condenser works great for my winterized hexane crude. Pulling about 0.7 torr during first pass.

1 Like