100micron socks too fine?

Shouldn’t be catching anything Imo…

And 6:1 should be fine, I usually run 8-10:1 on good material though…

Soak or run straight through? What size material columns?

5 Likes

No.

extra characters for minimum length.

1 Like

4 inch x 48 columns 10 minute soak

I hate socks in 4 inch columns lol

Soak time Sounds reasonable, if you chill your column you can extend it by 10-15 more minutes. This really helped my yields on fire material.

May just be your input material…

3 Likes

I’d pressurize with nitrogen to ~80 psi after filling the material column. Are you doing a rinse after you recover the first wash?

1 Like

as @CallipygianDabs tried to succinctly put it; No, it’s not the micron rating on the sock…

you absolutely loose some to the socks, and how you pack them can change how much. washing those socks for distillate is definitely a win.

are you still following cadabinoids rather than cannabinoids?

(without input potency, what makes you think your yield is low?)

2 Likes

If you’re flower was too potent that can also explain it since your solvent (I’m assuming hydrocarbon) has a low affinity for cannabinoids.

@cyclopath brings up a good point, while some of your product can adsorb to your material sock, but a second wash should help you pick up the tail. Also, how you pack matters.

It could also be that your test result is a bit off. I’m in hemp and when I give clients predictions on yield, I factor in potency, moisture, decarb, and yield, which I set at 50%. I call it the sad factor, but it’s because most often the tops are what get tested. This 50% accounts for variation in the plant and tempers expectations (though I typically get 65-75%, so people are always happy!)

So currently I’m injecting with 12lb cold gas and I let it soak for 10 minutes after the 10 minutes I pressurize the material column with nitrogen and open my crc valves half way through the dump I inject another 12lbs to wash/rinse. After all the solvent has pushed through to the collection I purge my n2 and then start recovery. Is this not a sufficient rinse/wash procedure?

The crc is the culprit, I believe
Run some solvent over the crc into collection, and that should return some of your weight, but a small amount will adsorb anyways

2 Likes

Why are you adding n2 to the column? Add it to your headspace of your solvent tank…

Maybe I’m misreading this.

Someone on here suggested it so I was trying it out… I thought it was weird I feel like it added too much pressure to my system. It ram very slow after I did that. Trickled in even with the 100psi of nitrogen I was trying to push it with. Was this a vapor lock of some sort or do I actually have a clog like I thought… material column has 100psi but the crc was sitting at like 35 psi. My lines are clogged huh?

Try charging your headspace. Start out at like 35-50 psi and work your way up until you have your desired flow rate into collection. I will usually soak my column at about 35-50psi, then bump it up to between 60-80psi depending on how much media I’m using in my crc. I just bump up the pressure til I’m happy with the flow rate, nothing to specific.

3 Likes

So admittedly, adding pressure to the material column after injection before starting my timer for saturation is just the way I was taught. The way it was explained to me was that the extra pressure ensured the solvent would be pushed into any little crevices and that it was especially important with socks to prevent channeling. Full disclosure, that could have been a total bro-science explanation. But I do notice there’s a “cracking” or “popping” sound (think bubble wrap) when I do this, especially with heavily seeded material. And there seemed to be a noticeable difference in yield vs when I’d neglect to pressurize after injection.

I haven’t had time to properly test this theory, but it was easy enough for me to just include it in my own SOP. If someone has an explanation as to why this would be bs nonsense, I’m all ears to learn something new.

4 Likes

If I understand this correctly, you’re basically rinsing the material with another 12lbs of solvent after dumping the initial 12lbs of solvent and kinda passively letting it run into the collection pot? For a total of 24lbs of solvent in the collection before you start recovering? I personally found that I have better rinse results when I recover the initial solvent, then add the solvent back to the material column, let soak for half the time of the original soak (so in your case 5 minutes), then do the same procedure as you did for the initial wash (purge n2 and recover). You can also pull a bit more by pressurizing the material column with n2 afterward and waiting a few minutes to dump to “squeeze” out some of the remaining solvent off the material. I typically get around 15-20% more yield out of my second wash. This is especially important to do on a CRC column, as mentioned earlier to rinse material out of the media with less saturated solvent.

2 Likes

Some people push with N2 in the tank and then push solvent thru socks and hoes!

This is very espresso. It would be like a pre infusion for even puck saturation

2 Likes

You Can Use Espresso Machines To Make Marijuana Extracts

2 Likes

I’m gonna choose not to read too much into this, for the sake of my Rancilio.

3 Likes

No I’m soaking then dumping, then soak again, with a 3 lb rinse after then I recover

For a total of 27lb