100lbs Butane tanks Pressure rating

I put nitrogen into the white 100lb butane tanks to fill whatever faster + to empty it out all the way. Is this safe? What pressure are those white tanks rated at? I can’t find the info anywhere. Thanks

probably 450-550psi, if they’re designed remotely like carbon steel hvac tanks (which they are a similar design and carbon steel)

1 Like

The pressure rating is stamped into the PRV on the tank valve. Sometimes it can be hard to read. It looks like a little flat / round nub on the back or side of the valve. Most DOT rated tanks are set for a 250psi working pressure but this can easily vary tank to tank depending on what valve is installed.

4 Likes

I’ma look for it tomorrow when I get to work and let you know thanks I was just looking on the outside of the tank

2 Likes

There are PRVs tho? On the white tanks

1 Like

Yes. Back of the valve body

4 Likes

The part with the brown plastic clip attached around it and the red insert inside of it… On the side its stamped with the information. Typically psi and cfm. This is typically a liquid withdrawal valve.

3 Likes

The working pressure of propane cylinders is 240 psi. It is stamped on the tank with other information about hoe it was made, what company made it, the tare weight, pound of water out will hold, etc.

The pressure is the last 3 numbers of the DOT stamp. Look for “DOT-XXX-240”, where XXX represents the method of manufacture.

The PRD is set at a pressure higher than the working pressure of the tank, but never higher than 5/3 of that pressure. 240/3=80. 80*5=400, the highest allowable prd actuating pressure. Propane valve PRD’s start releasing pressure at 375.

5 Likes

Thank you everyone. I’ma go back to work and confront this guy who doesnt know what he talkin abt.
They scared to put nitro to these tanks and tell me not to do it. I was kind of pissed actually haha

I was working for someone one time and they were thinking it couldn’t be done…I was like “I ALWAYS do that, fuck waiting around for it to do it’s thing”
I didn’t know about the prv but I only went to 50psi or less(guesstimating because there wasn’t a gauge on the tank just the regulator on the n2

2 Likes