1000+ pounds per shift hydrocarbon extractors

Are you and @johnbigoilco trying to flirt with me

2 Likes

I have 2 collection tanks each with bottom discharge valves, they both run 2 lines to a large molsieve

Like this

3 Likes

No, but Thank you! That is the best offer Ive had all day lol

4 Likes

Pretty muchā€¦ depends on the ratio you want to run / how much you want to try and squeeze out. At 20-30lbs of solvent per minute, you can extrapolate from that how long it should take based on the ratio you want to run.

If you want every last bit, you will have to deal with the law of diminishing returns: the lower the total concentration gets in the bio, the more solvent you will need to extract it.

A longer chain solvent, such as butane, will help with the extraction but will pull with it more impurities. This then requires a very cold extraction to minimize the impurities. Because of this, we found a great balance at 70% propane and 30% butane, as it provides an excellent recovery rate as well as superior solubility due to the minor portion of the longer chain solvent.

Pretty easy to do, the hemp guys can fill a 55 gallon drum in 3-5 days depending on shift count. Our latest model with the built in TCS can run any product, from live to disty. Still has the same recovery rate, only difference is it can get really cold really fast with very little energy (TCS). From +50c to -50c in minutes (5-10 with our standard setup). We have seen typically 17 amps at the utility compressor under full load for all 10 columns (refrigeration) on the Behemoth.

Again, I would advise the 70/30 propane heavy mix for THC extractionā€¦ You still get an excellent recovery rate but increases the solubility (due to the longer chain), while at a high inlet pressure you maximize recovery rate; so to achieve both it is best to use a mixture of high speed (Propane) and solubility (Butane).

Our Behemoth XL R800 can handle up to 300#/hr bio extraction rate. Scaling further is really no big deal with our technologies. We have solved pretty much every problem there is with the traditional system design.

you need to automate filling the columns, hit me up if you want a great idea. Im a mfg of equipment and donā€™t have the engineering team needed but its utilized in other industries and would take the most labor intensive part out of the equation. Bag packing and unpacking.

2 Likes

Have something in the works as we speak on the column sideā€¦ really simple design - something from my previous life in the ordnance business. :wink: :boom:

Sock packing/unpacking however, is another issueā€¦

1 Like

Need bigger socks, or something that holds more than 1. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I just wanna scale up sausage casing stuffers to work with trim to load socks

7 Likes

That is in general what we have been working on for all of our socked units. Have an idea to start with but always open to consideration with problems like this.

Wouldnā€™t pelletization cure a few of the challenges in automated or machine assisted sock/bio filling ?

1 Like

would it?

didnā€™t seem to make ethanol extraction in a centrifuge any more efficient.

I only worked with pelletized hemp once, but we had a hell of a time getting the solvent all the way into the pellets. I will concede that playing with the pellet density might make a significant difference to that outcome, and that the pressurized soak available in a CLS may also change the equation.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve done nearly a years worth of work on comparing pelletized biomass to non-pelletized

The extraction efficiency goes way down (nearly 50%) unless you soak significantly longer. BUT if you soak long enough to get good yield, your pellets break up into a grainy sludge that clogs the hell out of everything and makes a mess.

Also, the process of pelletizing biomass is a pretty intense process that degrades your biomass quality pretty significantly.

We were seeing 10% hemp biomass being degraded to 6-7% after being pelletized (more accurately, the cannabinoids were lost in the process, not actually degraded).

So, not only do you lose cannabinoids in the pelletizing process, you also donā€™t extract as efficiently, and you gunk up your equipment.

Needless to say, I canā€™t recommend it unless someone out there has figured out a more successful way.

7 Likes

From my experience you are on point!

The only setup that pellets work for is a continuous extraction setup using a decanter for the liquid/solid separation. Everything else its just a pain in the ass.

1 Like