1000+ pounds per shift hydrocarbon extractors

Evaporation is not a reaction lol… It is a physical phase change…

Either way, in the banter of tech and processes, I think our intentions sometimes get muddled. I respect you guys doing things your way and innovating while most just sit on the sideline.

We can go back and forth about which is the better way to skin the cat but that gets us no where. There are not many large scale hydrocarbon offerings that even exist, so for yall to have one is impressive.

At the end of the day I will choose a FFE or RFE for primary solvent evaporation of compounds with vastly different boiling points. I believe WFE has its place, but its in tight fraction distillation, which is where it shines. A FFE or RFE has less moving parts, less failure, less service, less downtime. Just my .02, take it for what it is.

Cheers

2 Likes

Im just waiting for a butane membrane to come out so whats RFE

1 Like

Rising-Film Evaporation.

I appreciate hearing this from you Zach. Our wfe is the only positive pressure unit I know of as typically the wfe is used under vacuum. We have experienced unique attributes because of this and have since taken advantage of them.

Yes, evaporation is a physical change from a liquid to a vapor, however, the solvent is also bonded to the molecule via a weak interaction. To break this bond, energy must be supplied, albeit a small amount, as well as to evaporate the molecule from a liquid to a vapor, energy must also be supplied.

Solvation is definitely a unique property. Yes its not a true chemical reaction, though bonds are still formed with the molecule as it is dissolved, which must therefore be broken for it to become a solid again. The solvated molecules are not broken down further than a single molecule and are instead surrounded by solvent.

Because bonds are formed, energy must then be applied to break them. In this case, stirring (introduction of energy) increases the evaporative capacity of the molecule within our GD1 evaporator, but also by introducing new molecules to the heated surface every rotation.

We have stumbled onto a new way of doing things and therefore we have experienced different results than the traditional method. There are always two sides to a coin. :v:

2 Likes

My first rig was a Bigfoot. It was terrifying. I did find other uses for all the pieces eventually, but could not believe the boss had paid $5k for such obvious nonsense!

It consisted of two “solvent tanks”, a 3”x24 triclamp column, a 3” butterfly valve, and a receiver that some clown had welded an npt fitting to (for passive recovery).

“Tanks” where these critters. 2x2l, 1x5l (although it was LABELED 10l!!).

Note: “not rated for pressure OR vacuum”!!

“Solvent tank” was literally poked into the top of the column via a non-rated PRV as if it was a can of lighter fuel.

His later efforts may have been better, but what the boss dragged home for me in 2013 was total trash.

1 Like

The first ones yeah I remember them with the blue butterfly valves definitely not very good, just curious they seem to have just gone away.

2 Likes

I have an 18kw aec heater.

While you are most definitely correct. Why do you limit the jacket to 10-15 psi? The heater I use has a 60 psi pressure differential. If my incoming water pressure is 45 psi. I will be pushing with 105 psi inside that jacket. Again, steel you advertise as not worthy, holds up to this day after day. If a conical shape is stronger, why does ets, and your old company, still make jackets that are not as strong as the Chinese manufacturers? I would think that would give room for improvement. While not saying that the extremely expensive parts are built of less quality, by choice.

This is correct.

While it is easy to speculate that the jacket is freezing. That 100% not the case. I don’t shut the water flow off until I stop recovering and that’s a ball valve that I throttle to reduce the amount of water flow allowing the water to cool down, but not freeze, as water is constantly flowing through the jacket (I have a manifold that distribute my water flow, not daisy chaining it like they come. That’s absolutely incorrect and shows one doesn’t know what they are doing, fucking at all. Without argument.) The jacket also doesn’t come anywhere near showing condensation on the outside of the steel, like cold metal absolutely does in Tacoma Washington. Something 40°f will show condensation. I believe the big mta for cooling my Huber gets condensation on its output line and that’s only set to 45f. It’s not getting that cold to break any welds.

Further more. The welds always broke during normal circumstances, like between runs, or in the middle of the night (water wasn’t shut off like it was supposed to be, that’s obviously our fault for letting it stay on overnight, walked into a flooded lab, was super awesome).

Cracked welds. And three of them back to back. Vs the use of only one oss steel bowl, that never broke or warped. Which I did freeze. I even have the pictures floating around here somewhere of me crashing thca in said frozen collection. I saw someone else mentione the jackets have broken at the welds, also. Seems like I’m not the only person who this happens to. Exchanging them for free is nice, but I have the third one sitting in the warehouse and haven’t bothered to send it back. I’d probably have better luck having bizzybee’s local welder fix it, to be quite honest. If you want to see high quality welds take a gander at the welds they have that are done locally on imported steel. One of the welders just got hired back at nasa, that’s pretty impressive. I’m also not stating that their equipment is without faults either. Just less of them from experience.

4 Likes

I believe the issue might be running that high of PSI in the jacket. I cannot speak for ETS as to if that is designed for that pressure but it does seem awful high in my opinion. Generally these are ran with low GPM pumps on a low pressure system, so this could be a root cause.

What GPM of pump are you running on your heater setup? Is there a lot of pressure drop in the piping you currently have? Tube/Hose ID? Fittings? I am sure we can figure out what is going on.

Again, I cant speak for ETS. I do know their welders have plenty of welds in outerspace and NASA as well. So I do not think this is a manufacturing problem, likely a out-of-spec use. Not putting fault on you or ETS, just have to find the root cause.

I think the issue is the extra points of failure from having a welded seam on the bottom rather than a pressed shape, and what I remember being a lap joint on the pour spout rather than a fillet

2 Likes

The aec heater is definitely more powerful than little kiss heaters. It pushes with 60 psi over the incoming water pressure. They aren’t a recirculating heater but heat up the incoming flow and dump it out the backend to a drain. For its size, it’s incredibly powerful. But, it does push with pretty high pressure. 10-15 should be moved to 100-150 psi in the jacket, personal opinion.

What do you folks think about all glass

Like those 6x30” sight glasses bvv sells, for material columns

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be a lap joint. It would be a butt joint where the head and cylinder are welded together. But valid points as to what’s pointing to the failure.

1 Like

Have you thought about putting a regulating valve prior to your incoming water? Or if your differential is adjustable.

And an equipment manufacturer that limits their equipment to the operating standards of the heaters they decide to use, is pretty silly. Wouldn’t you want to over exceed the build quality. Like, if the heater flows with 10-15 psi, don’t limit the jacket to 10-15 psi. Like the internals of the ets. That thing is rated to 350 psi, right? Propane will almost never see that pressure, but it’s rated beyond what it will produce, to make sure there isn’t any catastrophic failure, correct? Why is that standard overlooked for the jacket? Is there no way to imagine that something could possibly go wrong in that part of the system and just where it is rated? Seems that standard should be implemented on any part of the system. Especially with the extremely high price tag they come with because they are built so much better, right?

5 Likes

I can reduce the incoming pressure I’m sure, but it would still be 75-90 psi.

1 Like

I was talking about the pour spout as we had that weld crack

I haven’t looked at it in a while so my memory isn’t as fresh, but I seemed to remember that being a lap joint, or at the very least underfilled

What PSI are they rated for?
Scares the fuck outta me.

5 Likes

no, but I have considered using the Haskel on the back to run r600 in the jackets to get me some air-powered hot/cold.

not gonna work with 15-psi rated jackets :sob:

5 Likes

8 Likes

Maybe just post it on one thread…

1 Like