1.5inch ball valve

I’m in need of a new 1.5 inch tri clamp ball valve and am looking for any suggestions. I talked to Ryan at Corlee and he says they haven’t found a reliable source for those either when it comes to them not leaking. What 1.5 inch valves have you guys had luck with? Thanks!

The one from extractor depot hasn’t leaked on me in 4 years. @ChangMinXD hook him up

1 Like

What temps are you running?

https://www.glaciertanks.com/sanitary-ss316-ball-valves-bv2cv-r150.html

1 Like

I got a 2” from bvv about a hundred years ago to “upgrade” my rocket ship looking closed loop. After you disassemble, clean the parts, file the burrs from the stem, wire brush the threads on the stem seal retainer, and inspect the seats for assembly damage. Reassemble and test, tighten bolts and retest. You’ll have a working valve. However, if you close this valve with cold solvent running through it, expect leaks. Even fully encapsulating seals in the main body won’t hold back the pressure when the volume trapped inside the ball begins to warm. I nearly bought a three way 2” valve to solve this issue, but decided to start building a rack system with 1/2” valves instead. In hindsight, upgrading my cold tech and adding n2 to clear the column before closing the valve could have really improved the performance of the valve and allowed for safer operation. But I’ll never know for sure because that valve and the rest of the rocket ship parts are in a cardboard box somewhere, waiting to become a tee shirt cannon or a tire bead blaster or something else more useful.

4 Likes

Buy two ferrules and have them welded on this bad mamma jamma: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SVF-CLEAN-Flow-Control-Valve-1-1-2-SB7F-Sanitary-316-Stainless-Steel-Butt-Weld/291932803636?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item43f88d1234:g:VToAAOSwXeJYG--6

3 Likes

Yeah I already took the one I have apart and cleaned the threads on the packing nut and sanded it down so it could seat proper. Definitely helped but I’m looking for something more reliable. I’m probably going to end up grabbing a hemispherical cap with a valve and mount it up so I can skip that big of a valve all together.

1 Like

I like where your heads at!

1 Like

Good question. I haven’t checked with a thermometer. It’s good from hot to “cold as a witches tit”. Definitely good for “well diggers ass” kinda cold.

I’m considering making something like this with a 1/2” 210 series superlok.

My concern is having the weight of a column on those npt threads. It would be used in a stand up system in place of my current 1.5” tri clamp ball valve connecting the column to the collection base. What are your thoughts?

Specs on your system? Size, etc.

Wall/rack mount your material column.

1 Like

That’s a big change in CV from a 1-1/2" full port. If you find you’re not ever opening that valve very much then it might not be much of an issue.

I guess my real question is why are you looking to change what you already have? Lack of performance? Fear of failure?

3 Likes

It would be supporting a 3x24 inch column with a 1.5” hemispherical reducer. Probably won’t run a larger column on this system but I would also like to know how large of a column you guys think it could safely support.

I haven’t had any luck with the full port 1.5 inch valves when it comes to them not leaking. It would be open during injection and used to close off the column from the collection during recovery. I could mount the column but it would require more than just another tri clamp valve.

Ill post some pics when i can but i just used some ptfe tape on packing nut haven’t had a leak since

1 Like

I did the same

2 Likes

I guess taking a step back to find a higher quality valve that you can depend on even if it means restricting your system might not be a bad thing. That being said, there’s a wide world of valves that cannot leak or bad things happen. I just feel like there’s a solution out there if you dig hard enough for a valve in your budget that doesn’t impact your system’s performance.

That SVF valve I linked above is probably 10x the valve that a swagelok 210 is. For mega valve bling, check out DMIC out of Niagara NY. It’s funny that we all think swagelok and Parker are the end-all-be-all in this industry, but half the random valves on eBay are new-old stock from oil & gas or pharma where those are the bare minimum

4 Likes

Yeah, I had the same thoughts but it was discouraging to hear Corlee say they haven’t found a reliable 1.5 inch valve when it comes to them not leaking.

I’d like to avoid restricting my system if possible but I think it would be comparable to rack mounting and having the material column dump to the collection through a 1/2” hose, would you agree?

1 Like

For a 3x24 1-1/2" is a pretty decently sized valve. Ultimately it’s going to come down to how fast you need to push through there and what kind of pressure differential you’ll be building. Temp, solvent, solvent ratio and wash times being your factors for deciding if 1/2" is too small.

As far as Corlee saying they can’t find a 1-1/2" valve that doesn’t leak, I just don’t think they’ve had exposure to the right kind of gear. We used to use valve assemblies that operated at 4K that were twice that size for Lawrence Livermore and obviously couldn’t leak. There are plenty of options, it’s all about finding one that’s in budget IME

2 Likes

I’ll probably just use the full port until I can get everything mounted. I’m running 70/30 through as fast as possible no soak. Solvent tank at 30psi chilled on ice. Using a 25ft coil in DI for injection. Collection base in DI as well. However the material column stepping down to a 1/2” line seems pretty standard for mounted systems correct?

2 Likes