1/4”fntp lid to 3/8” mjic?

Can I run 3/8” valve and hose on a 1/4” fntp inlet from my collection lid without causing a bottleneck or do I need to upgrade my lid to one that has 1/2” fntp? It seems as if 1/4” fntp has a larger I.D. Than a 3/8” hose.

Also will dual 3/8” hoses provide more flow than a single 1/2”?

is it rack mounted or a stack of stainless on top? i have a rack to a 1.5 tri on top and can use a cap to any size out of that port. My lid also has 1/4/ thats a bit of a bottleneck but with a length of hose its prob better to use 3/8 even on a 1/4 fitting

Wall mounted 24” hoses to sieve.

Either I buy a new lid and run 1/2” or I upgrade this lid to dual 3/8” lines. The sieve already is outfitted for 1/2” and has a T since I’m using dual 1/4” recovery lines currently.

You can use one of the 1/4 ports as an input and use the center with an adapter to any size. unless im confused. whats your lid look like? Im used to 4 ports and a center? In my case I can make the center any size via a lid?

1 Like

6” hemi lid with 4 FNTP ports. (2) 1.5” sight glasses and 1 1.5” tc outfitted with a 1/2” hose dumping the solution from the crc to collection.

2 3/8th hoses will do a small margin more then a 1/2 hose,

1/4 npt fitting works with 3/8th hose
3/8 npt fitting works with 1/2th hose
1/2 npt works for 3/4 hose

So two 3/8th hoses need at least a 3/8th npt fitting but 1/2 npt would be better

4 Likes

crc is commonly throttled, you can likely use a 1/4 from it to collection and then use the center port of collection to recovery. Some asshole will call me thumping for attempting to help you and help us all learn.

I’ve found the interior diameter of a quarter inch pipe is roughly the same as the 3/8 hose. I would make sure you’re not running any quarter inch valves because it will really reduce in those.

1 Like

to add, I got into this years ago and heard swagelok is the shit so thats what i have. I have a few big 2 inchers and now went to rack mount. On the small valves like 3/8 and 1/2 one peice they are rated to 50f not too cold. so I do have 1/4 swages because they are rated -65 I made a minor error in my last purchase by buying 1/4 swages that were rated higher for flow but they arent good for COLD.

Here is the current layout

*1/4” from tank to material column.
*1/2” from material to crc
*1/2” from crc to collection
*(2) 1/4” lines from lid of collection to sieve (sieve lid is 1/2” ntp with a 1/2” t so two lines can be ran to it)
*1/2” From sieve to 3/8” condensing coil and *finally 1/4” out of coil to recovery tank.

I plan to upgrade the tanks soon so I can use 3/8” for injection snd recovery but for right now I think this 3/8” upgrade is the cheapest way to recover faster. I hold about 5-10 psi in collection while recovering and I believe that bottle beck is the (2)1-4” recovery lines running to my sieve.

Collection lid has 1/4” ntp and I either add a 6” sight glass and repurpose the 1/5” TC’s for sight glasses to recovery, upgrade to (2) 3/8” lines on the same lid or buy a new lid with 1/2” ports.

I’d rather not add a big sight glass to see my throttled speed for crc and If I can skip buying a whole new lid I will. I don’t plan on running dual sieves or dual condensing coils so My goal was to run 2 3/8” lines for recover to the 1/2” inlet of my sieve.

1 Like

Im almost to all 1/2" fittings myself id do the upgrade bro!

Your bottleneck is whatever the smallest size you are running. If you have a 1/4" line somewhere thats the size your system is until everything is the same!

Injection speed is fine so idc about that.

For recovery I think 1/4” line after a 33ft 3/8” coil in a slurry isn’t slowing me down much either.

This is my first time using 1/2” lines prior was all 1/4” so I’ve never even seen a 3/8” line in person. I just wanted to make sure the 1/4” fntp wouldn’t bottleneck a 3/8” valve/hose because if it will this lid is toast I’ll have to buy a new one.

If the hole on the lid is 1/4" and your adding a 3/8" hose right off it with an adapter i believe its still acts as a 1/4" but I could be wrong :man_shrugging: im curious now for someone smarter to chime in :thinking:

1 Like

Just looking at them it seems as if a 1/4” ntp has a much larger i.d. (Even with a adapter fitting) than a 3/8” mjic i.d. but I could be wrong.