Winterizing with n2 instead of vac?

Don’t be afraid to go Chinese for your diaphragm pump. I paid like 500$ something bucks for mine (it’s on sale for almost 400$ Rocker 300C, PTFE Coated Chemical Resistant Vacuum Pump) and I could’ve gotten a stronger one from China but mines chemical resistant, has a small trap on it, ptfe seals and auto shutdown when it’s nearing overheating.

Honestly if you can find a UL Listed diaphragm pump do it up.

o shit those look perfect, has a huge surface area to filter on and you can do it all inline. and vac or pressure would work. can you use a diaphram pump with these like @GroovyOctopusLabs is saying

2 Likes

If you want to be a true gangster you build your own set up with these and a fluid transfer pump known as an “air operated double diaphragm pump”

1 Like

can you do this from a 55 gallon drum? so chill the mix load it in a drum → liquid transfer pump → 25 micron cartridge ->15 → 10 → 5 → 1 then back in another drum?

Yes, sometimes you have to do some shenanigans to prime the drum its best to hook the feed hose to a drain valve on a drum that is elevated above the pump.

I could go through 250 gallons an hour no problem

i feel you. so this keg would work? fuck that’s crazy fast, do you do this right after extraction before reducing it in a roto? or is this a 10:1 or similar mix?

3 Likes

10 to 1 is a good standard for dilution. Its always best to filter into a holding tank for final inspection.

3 Likes

Nah, I wouldn’t throw dry ice in my tincture.

Potential acidification mainly.

1 Like

wouldn’t it warm back up before you could filter a decent amount through the bag?

not if you’re pushing through it in a jacketed housing. or at 15gpm. I found simply insulating the housing works well.

if just hanging a bag, sure.

ah makes sense

thanks everyone for the input, as usual ya’ll know how to make everything 100x faster

where’d you see 1 micron cartridge filters? lowest i saw was 5 micron. and what fluid pump would you recommend?

were you talking about a centrifuge like this? WVO Centrifuge - Waste Oil Centrifuge - Raw Power Centrifuge - A Better Way To Easily Filter Waste Vegetable And Waste Motor Oil! - Utah Biodiesel Supply

By the time you get to one micron, you shouldn’t be encountering much fat. I would go with a sintered disk for the final touch. Its nice to use a media like celite on the sintered disk to avoid clogging the actual filter.

Also, its nice to use alumina in your higher micron stages such as 25 through 10 micron. The alumina will help grab onto the fats.

1 Like

ahhh ok i get you. that website is a gold mine man, I’m gonna use some of their small sintered disks to run my dist through magsil without an expensive chromotography column

1 Like

https://www.grainger.com/mobile/product/ARO-ARO-Air-Operated-Double-Diaphragm-WP8848414/_/N-htoZ1z0eypy?searchFlag=Browse&breadcrumbCatId=5444&fromPidp=true&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/2P598_AS01?$smthumb$webparentimage$

Here’s the full list of pumps, been using the ones that have a kynar housing

More like @Roguelab’s solution pictured here.
Washing Machine "Salad Spinner" tek - #129 by Roguelab

The solid bowl style separators might work, but I haven’t seen anyone raise their hand and say they’ve tried it. There was one in the classifieds once upon a time…

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Bucket Tek (Cold Ethanol Extraction on a Budget)

those pumps look great for continuous filtration but i don’t have a ton of freezer space for batches that big so I’m thinking about trying to use an open acketed column, mix a acetone dry ice slurry in the jacket, chill the tincture for a while, and connect your cartridges to the bottom in line then use n2 to push it through just under whatever psi those cartridges are rated to

2 Likes