Winterizing with n2 instead of vac?

were you talking about a centrifuge like this? WVO Centrifuge - Waste Oil Centrifuge - Raw Power Centrifuge - A Better Way To Easily Filter Waste Vegetable And Waste Motor Oil! - Utah Biodiesel Supply

By the time you get to one micron, you shouldn’t be encountering much fat. I would go with a sintered disk for the final touch. Its nice to use a media like celite on the sintered disk to avoid clogging the actual filter.

Also, its nice to use alumina in your higher micron stages such as 25 through 10 micron. The alumina will help grab onto the fats.

1 Like

ahhh ok i get you. that website is a gold mine man, I’m gonna use some of their small sintered disks to run my dist through magsil without an expensive chromotography column

1 Like

https://www.grainger.com/mobile/product/ARO-ARO-Air-Operated-Double-Diaphragm-WP8848414/_/N-htoZ1z0eypy?searchFlag=Browse&breadcrumbCatId=5444&fromPidp=true&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/2P598_AS01?$smthumb$webparentimage$

Here’s the full list of pumps, been using the ones that have a kynar housing

More like @Roguelab’s solution pictured here.
Washing Machine "Salad Spinner" tek - #129 by Roguelab

The solid bowl style separators might work, but I haven’t seen anyone raise their hand and say they’ve tried it. There was one in the classifieds once upon a time…

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Bucket Tek (Cold Ethanol Extraction on a Budget)

those pumps look great for continuous filtration but i don’t have a ton of freezer space for batches that big so I’m thinking about trying to use an open acketed column, mix a acetone dry ice slurry in the jacket, chill the tincture for a while, and connect your cartridges to the bottom in line then use n2 to push it through just under whatever psi those cartridges are rated to

2 Likes

Yes. If you undo those four hex bolts, and pull the cover off you’d be looking at it. I suspect you can see the edges of the membrane (diaphragm) all the way around the cover if look in the gap.

Just because… Is there any data on flowrate with pressure vs width of filter?

1 Like

Kegs are not great candidates for vacuum or pressure. If you’re gonna use it: 1) definitely don’t pull vacuum from the bottom like that, use one of the top ports so you reduce liquid entrainment in your vapor stream. 2) use a diaphragm pump or a big enough cold trap on a rotary vane (rv pumps are way too fast for this application imo) 3) vacuum test the keg as low as your pump will take it for 30min+ so you can make sure it doesn’t implode mid run.

2 Likes

I mean…

Kegs are literally designed for pressure :stuck_out_tongue:

I wouldn’t run one under full vac, but partial is probably fine.

1 Like

I’ve tried reasonably hard to collapse a keg over a period of years. It might well be possible, but I haven’t managed it.

Ok, I wasn’t actually trying to collapse them. I was filtering, but you get the idea.

@BrotanicalMatt tried a 35cfm Edwards on one, and also failed. I don’t know that he took it down to 1um and then started beating it with a broomstick, but I believe he gave the pump a reasonable shot at collapsing the keg.

He responded via txt…said the keg lived.

1 Like

@cyclopath
@tweedledew

First, you guys are totally right that a keg should handle pressure/vacuum…

But, safety first.

Also @cyclopath, thanks for linking the previous threads. Always helpful!

1 Like

great info man thanks

yea I’d definitely have a lid on it with a tri clamp connection, vac, and valve to release vac or pressure

1 Like

i do it everyday. works great

so, on the topic of pressurized filtration, has anyone ever done any experimenting with these papers? specifically for pressurized winterization of crude in ethanol? https://www.cytivalifesciences.com/en/us/shop/whatman-laboratory-filtration/cellulose-filter-papers/wet-strengthened-filter-paper/grade-91-qualitative-filter-papers-p-00072

You having problems with blowing out regular filter papers?

Not yet. But I’d like to see how fast 2d can go

those are meant to be used with a buchner filter