Wind storm destroyed goldfish farms today!

Personally I bought enough hooks to run in diagonally every 4’ on both sides for 100’. They were not at all expensive from Bootstrap Farmer (they had them in stock but almost everything they sell can be found cheaper).

Edit: consider that this wasn’t a one off event. I’ve seen 3 of these hit 80mph in less than a year. Twice with softball sized hail. Better to over prepare.

2 Likes

I always tend to think of the canvass that the military uses and how it can keep up to the winds & storms of the deserts. Something similar but with the characteristics of what’s needed for ghouse would be most ideal of course. But the logistics behind how they’re held down, the wind break, I don’t tend to think of the structure itself as a structure can always be engineered to be better fit for it’s intended & unintended use of course

Also if you lost your crop and need some seeds to start up again I’d be happy to send a pack out :call_me_hand:t3:

3 Likes

Fuck ya thanks for the explanation

1 Like

Metal framed ghouses snapped/broke off at the base of the poles where they entered the ground during this storm. No one was really spared. But with reinforcements there is a higher chance of surviving another freak of nature like this.

With upgrades the structures could be made to withstand 80mph…probably 90mph winds…other people around here have survived through that intensity…so you ask yourself…how do you exactly test the durability of a structure for a specific wind speed that has only been recorded int he area once in modern history…or do you refrain from actually running a cycle during this season bc of a once in history level event?

Or is the consensus that with the multiple cross sections of tie downs there is almost a guarantee (if properly done) of survival under 100mph+ winds?

3 Likes

I would say alongside multiple cross strapped section with the better infrastructure will no doubt be plausible to withstand 90+mph winds, especially with cross bracing inside the hoops in a “checkerboard” it’ll allow for more dexterity of the entire structure. Down towards your anchors you will undoubtedly need a fail safe as well, wether it be multiple anchor points within the anchor with lags into either burried platform blocks or an entire slab it self to tie into. You can find many vantages to the structural integrity to strengthen it to withstand.

3 Likes

I’m in Oklahoma close to Perryton TX, not sure how far this is from you. But locals tell me they’ve never seen weather like this before.

I used 1 5/8" about 2’ into the clay 2’ out (no need for concrete bcuz the clay) and then stuck the 1 3/8" bent hoops into those anchors and bolted with a single 1/4" bolt. 8" wooden sides run the length, one at floor level and one a few feet up to hold the roll up sides with a single bolt through each hoop and anchor. Single lengthwise purloin at the top.

This has stood up to everything so far except losing the plastic the first time.

2 Likes

Awesome

1 Like

Dm me

3 Likes

I can send a few packs of “the blues” (BBM X MeanMug) to help out….

4 Likes

Take it to BRC and call it a theme camp.

(…and seriously, they make hoop houses out there)

3 Likes

Thank you to everyone who contributed, especially @very.good.cannabis, in different ways to getting our hoophouses up and running again!

Ladies are healthy and happy as fuck! All Strawberry Guava on the left.

To everyone who shared genetics with us, we will be poppin those off in the second hoop this coming week :muscle:

18 Likes

Thank you @ThePhilosopherStoned
I love cannabis
I also do my best to help others

5 Likes

Great to see you got this all sorted and back on track. That had to be very stressful. Can’t wait to see the finished products!!!

2 Likes

Grew like 12 inches in 4 days

11 Likes

Growing like weeds

5 Likes

Just another progress pic :call_me_hand:

The cultivators are defoliating today

3 Likes

veg in hoop house 2

Flowering pics in hoop house 1

7 Likes

These strawberry guavas from @very.good.cannabis are stacked…the cultivators bucked and froze 12 plants yesterday morning and I’m about to wash, dry and press for a last minute submission to the New Mex High Times Cup solventless category :muscle:

8 Likes