Why is the reclaim purple?

Thank you. Very helpful.

1 Like

I use t5 and activated alumina

The colour usually comes from trace compounds, that gradually forms as the cocentrate ages. When the colour is removed, the clear extract is more exposed to UV and thus more prone to oxidation. Plus if heat is added… It seems to reach some limits, and is in some cases reversible. It can be different things.

In the case of thc I don t lnow what forms, but in the case of cbd, it forms a dimer which is pink to red.

There are also compounds which colour depend on pH (which affects protonation for acids, or coordination chemistry for transition metals and various organic ligands). But this only applies to acqueous solutions. If an acqueous wash at given pH removes the faint color of the extract, I would rather infer that the colored compound went into the water, or was hydrolysed.,

3 Likes

I just took a stupid amount of dabs all off my puffco to really see the color of the melted oil. Probably 10-15 different runs. Basically the clearer/whiter the oil the more purple it was. And it would get the most purple after the first draw then get darker and darker. I tried to get a photo but it had already turned back to the color I previously posted. Just a hue of purple.

1 Like

It’s usually reversible with heat. Reheating to dabbing temps will sometimes temporarily turn it clear again

Sorry I’m confused are you saying my oil is sketchy to smoke? Like the PH change can affect it negatively and harmful to dab?

Is some cases yes I’d watch closely, but you said you didn’t use t41, I only said that as the carbon in t41 for some reason, I’d ph left un neutralized if literally seen purple smoke coming off the nail ( no inhale) just to see what the melting qualities/color were, as I myself had seen many different crc extracts be inconclusive as to why they’re unsure of any rapid oxidization, ( which turns the resin a nice deep purple.)

Edit Based on isolate runs with no terps to oxidize either.

1 Like

I got purple with melted diamonds, just b80 for crc, so I’m pretty sure it’s not a ph swing for me. I think I overcooked it lol. I set a timer and didn’t hear it go off, so instead of decarbing at 240 for 2 hours, it sat in the oven for like 3.5.

3 Likes

Sounds like pure old degregation to me🤷🏼‍♂️

1 Like

You mean like a ph swing?

Edit: I’m just failing to see how ph thing would happen. I’ve recently melted some diamonds that were passed through an activated powder and those didn’t turn purple at all. I only had those ones in the oven for the two hours I intended.

No, if you were simply decarbing at higher than 185f-215f there is possible ( given diamonds may have terps) degregation & (or mechanical seperation is possible at much lower temps as well which could possibly change the color of thca after decarb) there is always a change to degrade & rapidly oxidize your oil product.

2 Likes

They definitely had some terps, it was before I had a fuge.

My bad, I misunderstood you :v:

1 Like

You’re all good, I appreciate you reading into it though, it’s some knowledge even some of the best disty runners are stumped by, product can appear perfect no swing nothing, then bam, depending on the route you took to make the oil, wether it be conversions ( ph swinging bullshit with crc etc) or high temp degradation of cannabanoids through decarb, or even purging in the oven sometimes if they’re not sure of what parameters they should be running at.

I definitely knew I fucked up when I forgot about it in the oven haha.

Ovens have killed some of my runs but not by my own hands lol, had a 15L run one time killed by a oven that someone( not me) had just used the zinc method for conversions & made a chlorine gas that wasn’t sparged from said oven, long story short it bonded into my literal water clear d8 & when we did a test on it, there were no cannabanoids, but same exact similar run I did previous to that one was high 80s potency. Minimal d9 ad we didn’t have a proper atmosphere(inert) for d9 production.

3 Likes

That is freaking weird haha. It’s mind blowing all the little variables at play with all of this.

Also, I’m glad with my little knowledge I keep away from those kinda things, conversion and such.

1 Like

I worked in a chemistry lab where we did some “Late night science” to convert CBD isolate to THC. After some quick reactions and a distillation we had some clear oil. Pouring it from the cooling glassware to the sint vial you could see the oil turn a light pink color in the presence of O2 and light. This happens because the molecule is converting to the quinolone form of the molecule. No ph change needed. Just some food for thought.

4 Likes

All the variables in any extraction are always some of the most difficult things to notice on any run regardless of tek, sometimes the tiniest things go without notice & later going down the rabbit hole of figuring out what happened is always a movie mystery lol. Nothing is ever the same ( ie systems, runs, consistencies across the board) until you understand the application & utilize it for the best of its properties.

That run had also turned a odd like magenta red, it was wild, when it was slapped in the oven it was so clear & at 1.5” thick slabs in Pyrex lol, ruined all of it. Plus I got a face full of chlorine gas as I was the unlucky one to open the oven after the previous persons run.

Just a thought… if the starting material was sprayed with an alkaline compound at some point prior to extraction, couldn’t it potentially cause the same types of reactions?

Someone who sprayed Green Cure, baking soda, etc I would think could impact the ph of the extract. Same goes with growers spraying Nuke ‘Em or citric acid based pesties.

3 Likes

I doubt it cause it did the same with like 4-5 different growers material