Why did my isolate re-liquify?

right? lol you see my confusion now? It’s maddening

yeah man- it’s the why behind it. This situation has some missing variable or factor, and the best educated guess I have made is a time/temp variation in conjunction with that diluent being able to break down the crystal structure…idk I tend to overthink things, so after days im like hmm probably simple like I just didnt heat high enough or long enough

excuse my ignorance but what does FSO stand for?

FSO- Full Spectrum Oil

2 Likes

What type of post processing techniques can prevent crystallization?

Some people are changing the pH, which helps to prevent crystallization. I know @Kingofthekush420 and @ExTek90 have more insight on it than I do, but I believe it’s pretty much just adding MgO to the Boiling Flask on a shortpath at a certain ratio, depending on your starting material.

I posted a picture of what happens when you do that, it doesn’t work.

See, that’s why I mentioned you guys knowing more about it than me lol. I just remember the part about MgO in the BF

1 Like

Sureeeeee

You cant fool the real chemists buddy

I’m sure PH plays a role because that’s basically what you’re manipulating to get isomerization

I have achieved as high as 58% CBD with floraplex thickener and just a touch of mother added to the isolate to get THC concentration to .22%. I was trying to hit 50% but miscalculated how much CBD was in the mother. 500 carts in that batch, not one return. I found a half vaped cart in my sock drawer from that batch the other day as well, zero crystallization. Though I will say, my experiment at 60% straight isolate sugared up in 2 days.

2 Likes

I have noticed isolate ones will crash faster. Probably because there’s less interfering with it, like CBDa or THC.
There’s lots more to do with it than simple CBD%, so not EVERY cart over 50% CBD is going to crystallize, that is just generally where I have noticed them starting to become an issue. 60% will almost always lock up if you smoke/heat it and give it enough time.

We need crystal resistance tek to be public already lol, fuck this diluting shit!! I hate doing it.

1 Like

Same here man. We know THC is a great crystallization inhibitor. Maybe even at ~.3% it’s still having that effect? Or other compounds in the distillate…

I think even with the crystal resistant tek, the max we’re going to be able to get in a 1ml cart is maybe 700mg. I haven’t seen anything sold as “crystal resistant” any higher than that, and even then it’s usually closer to 60%. Which leads me to believe that it’s leftover fats that are the crystallization inhibitors in most of the stuff on the market right now.

Edit: Other than MCT cut carts. You can REALLY push it with MCT oil, but the market is moving further and further away from that.

1 Like

Would you shut up and try it already?

You’re talking trash for no reason. I would literally have to be an idiot to deny it this much, especially when you say you’re going to do it.

Put up or shut up.

Also, BIG NEWS the THC reduction was a false positive. It was margin difference in analysis, the second sample after being redistilled to remove the rest of the THC came back at 3.8% again.

2 Likes

^ Pretty sure I saw a picture of a purple condenser somewhere around here after someone just tried throwing MgO in the flask. Suspected CBD quinone. Was that your pic?

1 Like

Nope.

Edit: This argument is no reason to be rude.

1 Like

Yeah I’m thinking you might be right about this- of course I’m wondering if there probably are other compounds in FSO that may aid in that? Then again, full specturm and t-free distillate also tend to crystallize…I have some that are .28% that never crystallized, but it’s hard to say whether it was the FSO in general or if it’s THC.

This is the first pass.

This is the second.

First pass was 4:1 oil:MgO. Second pass was 3:1.

@Kingofthekush420 please, for the sake of being civil, just try it, and when it doesn’t work, be honest and share your results.

2 Likes

Just saying I’ve tried MgO in the flask at as high as a 1:1 concentration and haven’t had any changes to my THC numbers. I was experimenting on mother liquor so I don’t really know if it would’ve changed the crystallization properties but didn’t see any isomerization on any cannabinoids.

1 Like

Why are you using so much?

If MgO made cbd quitone in the flask it wouldnt show up as CBD.

Ph plays a huge roll buddy