Where and when you first learned to love lab

Any of you guys remember a forum called Nan’s Nook, later renamed to The Nook? That place really got me into “drug” science. And I was just trying to learn to grow some mushrooms… Definitely learned a lot there, and such characters.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have pursued lab without mushrooms. I’m going to be pissed if they did this to me. I thought I was learning through my own intrinsic motivation this whole time.

In reality they may be programming us to procreate more efficiently. And that terrifies me.

2 Likes

Would have been probably 12-14 in class with Mr. Klein where he lit a strip of magnesium on fire, that reaction always stuck with me.

2 Likes

Magnesium fires are some of my favorite.

Random: there is a aerosol spray can for automotives I forget the name. But essentially would shoot 5-15 feet long bursts of magnesium and I would add fire and have a flamethrower that also kept burning on the ground for a while. It was magical. Like shooting ropes of fire.

Found it when I was a kid and made a pentagram with it haha

3 Likes

Fuck yeah dude! Please find out what that’s called as I wanna introduce it to the ant hill in my backyard

2 Likes

This should do the trick

https://benamiautocare.com/product/hi-tech-import-magnesium-spray-paint/

Definitely something similar to this.

2 Likes

Magnesium is the secret to starting off a thermite reaction as well…

2 Likes

You and @_joe have some wild fucking stories

2 Likes

Yeah I would love to hear more…

3 Likes

Got many more. Some I need to calculate the statute of limitation of each state before we go too deep.:rofl::rofl:

9 Likes

And the secret of magnesium is that it actually “burns” with the nitrogen in the air, forming magnesium nitride, Mg2N3.

5 Likes

Chlorine and isopropyl was how we did this

It takes a few minutes to start but once that reaction gets going it’ll blow up a glass bottle even

Don’t try this at home kids

1 Like

the toilet cleaner with aluminum foil was always fun too lol

3 Likes

Grew up in the deep south. My mother got me a chemistry set when I was 10. Felt like magic. Lots of “experimenting” in high school. My chemistry teacher in high school told me I couldn’t sleep through her class and make an A or a B so she gave me a C.

Once I realized it would always be something that would challenge me I couldn’t stop. Undergrad in biochem, grad school for molecular genetics, half a decade in pharma QC. Whenever I think I’m done with it something comes along and I dig back in.

1 Like

My son(9 now) used to ask for citric acid and sodium bicarbonate when he was 4, to make volcanos.

2 Likes

Hmm… It was the time I accidently created chloroform by mixing bleach and IPA at work.

4 Likes