Whats a safe PSI rating for a closed loop extractor

When your system comes in, consider hydro testing it rather than using compressed gas, the failure mode is gentler…

There is a write up on that around here, or return to this thread and ask and somebody will probably dig it up for you.

14 Likes

So you pressure test full builds but not individual components that get sold a la carte? Whats your email? I might be able to get you pretty good pricing on regular steel as well.

1 Like

I am yust curious as to Wich unit holding 135 Gr is referred to
I mean if the biomass tube is 1 1/2” or 2 “
I can t see a 12” pot underneath and hope that your seller has no clue of what he is selling
Any picture of the 100 psi rig ???

3 Likes

If it can’t hold 150 psi its not safe

PRV’s are your friend

6 Likes

I asked for more details on the system I saw on ebay. I’m really not reassured by the sellers response, offering more pictures & saying he’s had one vacuumed out for months without losing pressure & that the seals are good.
That rather misses the point for me as I’m not going to run it under vacuum, but at pressure.

I’m going to look for a more reliable & verifiably pressure tested & safe system. Unfortunately import taxes & shipping make it expensive to import from USA.

Pretty sure @Killa12345 might be of help

2 Likes

I can drop ship the parts from my 3 suppliers. It’s not a big problem but only if you don’t trust your buying power.

Here’s another one. I’m gonna keep showing these off. Another leaky weld. We do quality control and customer service so you don’t.

3 Likes

Hi,
This will all depend on the size of your largest clamp, or lowest psi rated part of the system.
Volume of herb will not change the operating pressure.

2 Likes

Before pressure testing, I recommend a walk around inspection of the equipment.

ChangM and WhereareTS made two key points, which were that the ASME Section VIII pressure piping and vessel standards and NFPA 058 typically required by permitting, require 350 psi minimum for pressure piping and 3X the maximum operating pressure for pressure vessels. They also require a PRV.

Pressure piping is 6" diameter and below, while anything larger than 6" and operating above one atmosphere pressure (14.7 psi) is a pressure vessel.

Systems using Tri-clamp fittings are typically rated by the capacity of the clamps, as the spool wrappers (tubes) are all rated significantly higher than 350 psi.

When considering design pressure for a pressure vessel, consider not only what pressure the device might see if things go according to plan, but how much pressure it might see if things go wrong, go wrong, go wrong… IE: Loss of power and cooling.

That of course leads us directly to what gas mix you are planning to use, and as you can see from the clamp chart above that only the SSH and ASME clamps are rated at 350 psi at 6".

When considering a pressure vessels pressure exposure, consider the following Propane/butane pressure at temperature chart. Choose your mix, and then look at what temperature it would be at if at your local ambient, to consider what pressure it might reach if things go south.

Having looked at your components and assured yourself that it is safe to pressure test, as CP noted, filling the vessel with water first and then adding air or bottled nitrogen pressure limits the amount of compressed gas that will be released if something catastrophically fails. Continue to add pressure until it leaks, breaks, or the PRV releases, which should be around 125% of the vessels rated pressure.

As you can see from the clamp chart, a 12" ASME clamp is only rated at around 103 psi, so looking at the gas mixture chart, 1/3rd of 103 is 34 psi, which limits it to 100% butane, even though a 50/50 mix below -20C has no vapor pressure.

While my 6" and below systems were rated at greater than 350psi, I used the rating of the components to establish that, and have never tested a system above 125 psi, which is typically the PRV release. Testing at 350 psi requires the proper equipment to do so safely.

21 Likes

The question I have and had hope to get answered with a picture is is the rig tri clamped
Or something totally diffrent

1 Like

Sorry @Roguelab,
I don’t know if I’m allowed to post the ebay link but here’s a picture. Hope it answers your question.

I see no reason this unit can t with stand
240Psi (16bar) for that’s the minimum pressure any metal fitting must withstand
And since most I see is tri clamp of a diameter of less than 6” I would have no fear running this rig
The only thing that might be NOT pressure rated is the sight glass

3 Likes

[quote=“Scooterrat, post:32, topic:107531”]
I don’t know if I’m allowed to post the ebay
[/I don’t know if I’m allowed to post the ebay

Whaha breaking the law breaking the law
Post it have no fear

5 Likes

The sight glass looks like the weakest link there. Go for sight windows vs tubular sight glasses.

6 Likes

you can post links no problem.

Excellent reply good ol @Graywolf to the rescue!

4 Likes

[quote=“Roguelab”]

Here you go:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-in-box-Closed-loop-oil-extractor-135G-304-Stainless-steel/352906460746?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D00555a02391846588fe4bd36450628fb%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D352906460746%26itm%3D352906460746%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A142dc511-01be-11eb-8494-622c255b94b5|parentrq%3Ad61e53af1740a4d626f46c1dfff3dea6|iid%3A1

Well it looks ok to me the botom part can be removed :weary: make it sound like a shatter platter but that’s not on the pic Wich at this volume is fine
The sight glas might be the weakest link we’ll is the weakest link and probably the 100 psi rating on the rig
There is no molsieve Wich at this volume is not really necessary
And I could not find dimensions to figure out if the solvent tank is large enough to hold sufficient solvent at the 80% it should be filled
To give a good rinse of your biomass
I also think that 100gr is a more realistic fill capacity
All in all it s a good toy to start playing with
Off course upon assembly I would pressure test for sure

2 Likes

Most of those Chinese sight glasses I’ve seen are rated to 120 psi. I’d ditch that style of sight glass all together. I believe that tri clamp ball valve is only rated to 1.6mpa (232 psi). I used to have the same style and it leaked at 50 psi (I had to throw thread tape on the packing nut to stop this).

You may want to consider stepping up to a 6x12 collection so you have the option of scaling up to 1lb in the future. I’d also add a gauge on that column if you plan to isolate it. PRV’s at all isolation points would be ideal.

All in all I’d run that system. Just be sure not to overfill it or leave anything isolated and unattended and you should never see pressures that high.

2 Likes