What the Stink?!

Hydrocarbons are molecules only made up of hydrogens and carbons. My evidence being that it is in the name lol. Oregon prolly does not have chemists making their laws by their discrimination between hemp and cannabis derived thc lolol

2 Likes

Rather unimpressive being it only a model. Seems like this would be a miserably simple project for some one with some analytical equiptment. Somewhat confused on why anyone would waste their time modeling this experiment and not just perform it in the lab. I also cannot access the entire article to get concentrations etc.

http://sci-hub.tw should allow you to pull it up

4 Likes

The chlorines are not mixed in with the hydrocarbon they are covalently bonded to the carbon, not a free ion. I dont know what you mean by changing the nature of hydrocarbons but I am assuming you mean the polarity of them. The reason this “nature” or assumed polarity is altered is because the chlorines which are covalently bonded creates a dipole moment within the molecule leaving DCM as a relatively polar organic solvent.

Side note for those are wondering, any chlorinated solvents will be on the bottom of the aqueous phase because in general chlorinated solvents are more dense than water.

I will no longer participate in a thread in which you are a part.

1 Like

Seemed like a perfectly reasonable, scientific based response without anylogical fallacy or personal attack?

I don’t know who is right or wrong, most of us probably don’t, but that’s why we come here. To listen to smarter people than ourselves discuss and debate science.

8 Likes

The properties change when adding functional groups to hydrocarbons because it alters the molecular orbitals and hence changes the electron density at points in the molecule. This happens because the atoms of the functional group added have varying degrees of electronegativity, causing electrons to be pulled away from C atoms, leading to altered properties such as polarity. The physical size and shape of functional groups also has a huge impact on how molecules interact. These are just two aspects of how functionalisation of a hydrocarbon will effect its properties, there are multiple other effects that can/do occur depending on specific functional groups but that is a bit too deep for my point…

…and btw my point being that things are not always as simple as they seem and adding functional groups causes effects beyond those of just altering the dipole moment :wink:

Yayayayayay chemistry woohoooooo

2 Likes

I did not mean to imply my new friend was wrong about anything. I also did not perceive a personal attack. I made a choice based on personal experience spanning decades plus right now I am pissed off. I perceive intellectual dishonesty and I am probably 100% wrong about that but if it is in my gut then I cannot shake the feeling that further interaction will just end up like it did earlier.

I wish him or her well in their journeys but I will not be interested in further interaction and no worries really. I just prefer not to be “challenged” as a “big shot”. Today I am gonna run a lab as part of the series of counter current seperations I have been doing. This is not the method but rather the test of what I believe will remove chlorophyll as effectively as pre boiling in iso/water then pulling through alumina. This matter is closed for me. Now it’s time to pull out some green and leave the goodies behind…

3 Likes

Nice! If anyone wants to read more about Molecular Orbital Theory here is a neat link! This will take time to understand so be patient with it

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Introduction_to_Inorganic_Chemistry/Molecular_Orbital_Theory

2 Likes

MO theory is a great model for explaining chemical reactions! Very powerful stuff and very interesting if your into that kinda thang

1 Like