Vacuum Pumps - General Info / Maintenance Tips

For the cost to rebuild your edwards you can get a nice diaphragm pump for your roto. Using the edwards is just ruining it and wasting alot of oil changes

3 Likes

My leybold’s are very very loud when i turn them on to warm up while im running my roughg phmp. It was with a freah rebuildt froma reputable company have you experienced anything like that with you leybold’s. The .d25b’s

I was thinking of just putting one in line in a say 6-10” kf25 tube and then juat washing with etho every week or every 2 first pass. Im just worried about the dust it was a battle i always seemed to loose back when I extracted with hydrocarbons

1 Like

@Concentrated_humbold
My s25b was super loud too when I got it. I then noticed that the fan on the back was hitting the cover plate. I shifted it and tightened the screws, now it purrs.

Check if you are having the same issue.

1 Like

Could you send ne a pic if what your talking about i would love to not hear that scream or im gonna swithch to another one of ny pump. Thanks

@Concentrated_humbold

Now by you saying screaming it makes me think you have the same issue I had.

So under that cover is a fan spinning at violent speeds, so when trying this NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER, put your hand under the cover. Note, you don’t need to move it much and it’s really finicky, so once you’ve got it to where is purrs, don’t fuck with it. Just tighten the screws. The are only two, you see one in the pic.

My pump was left upside down with the pallet on top and I also held it by that cover when I emptied the oil the first time as this pump weighs retardedly much. So either of those things moved the cover to where the fan started grinding against it. It was incredible horrible to be around, even with ear protection. I got lucky figuring it out. But as soon as I moved the cover it was night and day. I realised something was wrong when I checked the noise levels in the manual which said 65db working. So that’s what lead me to figure out what the problem was. Now it sounds amazing. But again the slightest movement of the cover got it grinding again, so beware. I only touch the cover from the outside. Use the two screws as places to put your hands.

Awesome thankyou im gonna give it a shot and ill let you know. Thanks

1 Like

You’re welcome. And now for something completely different. This happened to one of my pumps sight glass and I can’t get rid of it. Anyone seen this before?

looks like moisture? remove it and wipe it with your finger, see whats in there.

Its an alcatel so it has a plastic sight glass so if tou have done any chemical cleaning it could be eating the olastic. There cheap to replace

I thought so too but both hex bolts are stripped and I can’t get it off. I’ve been running the ballast hoping it would clear it out and I tried blowing I tiny bit of nitrogen at it when it was empty. Nothing has worked.

I did do a kerosene flush, but it was fine after that. This happened when I was running the ballast for 24 hours when it was raining.

Probably pulled in moist air.

3 Likes

That was what I was thinking to, I’m just surprised it hasn’t been expelled by running the ballast.

the sight glass is where a lot of stuff builds up because their is next to no flow rate through it.

3 Likes

Fortunately I can measure from the other pump to full it and also shine a light down the port while shaking the pump to see the level. So I’m not entirely screwed. But it definitely makes things a little weird.

1 Like

you tried a screw extractor to remove the damaged screws?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vermont-American-Carbon-Steel-Screw-Extractor-and-Drill-Bit-Set-with-5-Drill-Bits-and-5-Extractors-10-Piece-21829/202850653?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D25T%7

remove them and replace the sightglass.Damaged screws aren’t nearly as bad as a broken tap removal.

4 Likes

Old school trick for stripped heads

Put a rubber band in the stripped head, place tool in ruberband/head. This should fill in the stripped gap and allow you to remove said screw.

6 Likes

Noyce! I’ll try the rubber band trick, if that doesn’t work I’ll get the screw extractor. Thanks to the both of you.

3 Likes

Another option, use JB weld. But you have to toss the bolt (obviously), and the tool/screwdriver/ driver bit) as you will be “glueing” the jb weld, screwdriver/ bot to said screw. Let set and unscrew

1 Like

Its best to change oil and use the oil as your cleaner. Kinda like in a car. Hot oil is a very good solvent

1 Like