Vac pump inlet filter / sealing connections. Vac noob

Yeah if that was how much a watts ball valve leaked I would agree with your assessment but it’s not lol. Seriously, I’m not disagreeing that it might get the job done but I would expect it to leak/offgas about 50 times worse than the shittiest ground glass joint. Not an issue for drying powders still probably but I’d be realistic with your expectations.

1 Like

Contrary to my broke sounding problems I do have a little money to spend… Trying to un-fuck this whole vac situation lol

Ball valves or should I be looking at the swagelok type whatever theyre called. Seems to be close to what the vac ovens have

1 Like

For a blank off pump, something like this would be best: Ideal Vacuum | Super-Seal High-Vacuum HV 90° Right Angle Manual Bellows Valve with KF-25 Flanges

(please don’t buy that exact one, there are cheaper options of that style I just wasn’t going to go digging). Ball valves can be fine but most of them are not designed to seal well under external pressure. Like @Alentia said, their leakage may not present a problem for you depending on the application. I wouldn’t have an issue with something like this on my vac oven setup, but it’d be a total no-go for SPD: Amazon.com

Because it is basically a PTFE seat stainless watts ball valve lol (slight step up but still). Swagelok, parker, and ASCO all make ball valve designs specific for vacuum but they can be $$$. If you’re looking to spend some money somewhere smart to hep your setup though, I’d look at cold traps. On ebay you can probably find a thermo RVT-400 refrigerated cold trap for $3-400 that will save your pump a lot of grief. Combine that with a SMC IRV20 vacuum regulator between the pump and trap and you can maybe save yourself the destruction of your pump and merciless contamination of your oil. I’d still recommend a colder trap especially if you’re doing any heavy solvent handling but the mechanical kind that are colder than that can be mega expensive. Dry ice and a dewar style though will get the job done on a budget.

1 Like

does your vac oven not have a valve?
If you want you can call me today, catch up on how everything is going?

bellows valve for the win for uhv, it might be a little overkill for a vac oven.

2 Likes

You’re probably not wrong

2 Likes

idk, I have bellows and uhv valves on the ovens. I always enjoyed the overkill!
I guess from mild to wild?

2 Likes

Lol so do I. Big 2" welded manifold with a bunch of FNW welded valves, KF25 bellows, adapters welded into the ovens. Then they all run through those stupid push connect fittings that SMC puts on their regulators lol. At least if we need REALLY deep vacuum we can do it

2 Likes

when you got dem’ 2" lines…

4 Likes

100% correct. You would be amazed how far a door gasket makes it if it sucks in lol. Then again it’s terrifying knowing a tech can muffin a slab like a peep in the microwave if they don’t pay attention for about 3 seconds

3 Likes

I have a few kf25 valves and 4 ways and bellow hose if you want so you can connect a few ovens to one pump.

3 Likes

Heck yeah i do

I would say it helped.

Thanks for the parts!!
@Concentrated_humbold

2 Likes