Ultrasonic/MA Extraction

Well you can’t beat that price! I would need one large enough to handle a 22L pot flask. I’ll have to look around. Thx!

1 Like

At that scale the steam wand is a good tool.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wagner-915-On-Demand-Power-Steamer-0282014/202719943?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D29A|Multi|NA|PLA|Major-Appliances|Special-Buys|71700000032418849|58700003842365800|92700030987191770&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx5rVp4jh3gIVlRh9Ch0QsgWxEAQYBiABEgLF4vD_BwE
If you have a steam cleaner you need these gloves to go with it.
https://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/DAYMARK-Rubber-Steam-Resistant-Gloves-WP48281/_/N-mllZ1yzi93m?breadcrumbCatId=5572&fromPidp=true&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/6GVA3_AS01?$smthumb$webparentimage$

1 Like

Sonic bath with hexane does miracles for cleaning glasswear

This monday and theusday i Will extract and take pics.
Post them then sorry but i am a real Rogue lab in the netherlands making concentrates is equal to meth ,cocaïne and the works :cry:

5 Likes

sorry to hear this @Roguelab. My lab is a clandestine one as well. Making concentrates here is a similar criminal charge. We are medical and im legal but its fully illegal to be making concentrates. similar to manufacturing meth. or any other schedule 1 drug.

1 Like

Remember the biology: the cannabinoids and terpenes are in the trichomes.
Which makes them nice and accessible to your solvent.

Busting the cells open with ultra-sonics or microwaves seems like the response of an engineer who doesn’t understand the biology. All it does is give your solvent access to a whole bunch of stuff you don’t want or need in your extracts. It makes sense if your target is in the cytosol, but in our case it’s not…so going after it as if it was will probably not provide any benefit…imo it is more likely to get in your way.

Redefining your yields based on total input cannabinoids vs total output cannabinoids will most likely reveal that the black goo is hurting your throughput.

6 Likes

Yes i agree since i can not proof the advantage i am going to do Some solid numbers extractions these days
And have them analyzed
With Sonic and without same temps,times and the works
So the answer Will be here in 2/3 weeks
Lab testing takes a week over here

3 Likes

Check out Sonics and Materials INC. They are the one stop shop for super sonic extraction. You can buy the sonic horn and high velocity flow cells to process in.

1 Like

That’s the theory I’m running off of and the black goo is evidence of that I believe. However, I’m only distilling their crude for them and they believe that any of the methods promoted here be it cryo chilled in a bucket or run through any of the well known machines manufactured out there are inferior in terms of yield. That being said, they are open to testing other methods to collect hard data. From my point of view the only yield that counts is finished product and that’s distillate in my case.

3 Likes

I was under the impression that microwave assisted “extraction” is actually more of a distillation. Something like, agitating the target molecules using specially designed lab grade microwaves. Apparently you can tune the field to hit a range of molecular BPs and have said target range re-condense at a different stage in the apparatus.

As far as ultrasonic assisted… the setup I saw that was designed for cannabis and hemp used water as the “solvent” which became more of just a carrier fluid for the oils.

sonicating into water makes some sense. you’re still breaking open a whole bunch of stuff that contains non-target, but at least you’re not dissolving that and your target into the same solvent.

With water it should just a question of breaking an emulsion or physically collecting the resin which should be floating. There are probably some material handling issues that would need to be addressed, but it’s way more sensible than the ultrasonic assisted ethanol extraction that I’ve seen proposed.

http://www.plandaibiotech.com/ have an ultrasonic extractor they wanted to try on cannabis. when applied to tomato, it makes pulp, fast. it also isomerizes some of the lycopene to a more bioavailable form. when applied to cannabis, it can isomerize THC to CBD and vise versa…in a not particularly controllable manner.

their machine makes a way better hammer when applied to green tea or tomatoes…because of the underlying biology…the target is in cytosol!!

as for microwave assisted extraction, using microwaves to drive terpene distillation definitely seems like a win. I’m not convinced it’s particularly applicable to cannabinoids.

that said, I thrive on being wrong. It means I learned something…and re-framing ultra-sonic extraction as a water based trick definitely counts as learning.

thank you!

2 Likes

So if you were to do an ultra-sonic extraction with water as your solvent, I’m guessing you would need to “wash” your biomass prior to extracting it?

I have a milestone MHD. Its strips the living fuck out of terpenes and I dont really see a need for ultrasonic assistance.

However…as I posted before, you can use enzymes to degrade trichome heads and then use ultrasonic energy to finish popping the heads. The oil layer would then be separated from the biomass and aqueous layer.

2 Likes

Hey, It’s been a year since you posted about UAE. My son (an engineering student) designed one. Everything seems to be in order but he’s having some trouble with a few things. Would you be willing to converse with him or do a consult? Is that something that is ok in this forum? Thank you.

Sure
And yes it s something for this forum
Shoot
Nice :+1:

Hi, thank you so much. My son has been building this since June and he has no one to ask these questions to. Here are his questions:
Do you have any experience with building sonicators? I’m having trouble assembling a transducer that has 4 piezo disks for a multilayer design. I’m not sure what kind of torque I should have on the bolt. Or if I even need to use multiple layers. To up the wattage of a sonicator do I need more current or more voltage? I have a titanium tip on my horn. When I machined my first horn it was aluminum and it seemed to work. It did not have a huge amount of cavitation bubbles but it did show decent extraction when testing for hemp compounds. Now, having machined a stainless steel horn with a titanium tip and having added another 100W, I’m not seeing anything. Thank you again.

Oeps I am really sorry not a clue
I yust by my equipment of the shelf
No idea wich forum member to ask either I would just make a tread about your project and see who chimes in
Good luck :+1:

Thank you. We’ll do that. One last question from mom here: without the mixer going, can you describe what we should be seeing as far as the strength of the cavitation bubbling is concerned? Lastly, very surprised to see the laws you have in your country. I always assumed it was very progressive.

At first when the solvent is sonicated indeed on sees big and small bubbles
But these seize after about 20 min constant sonication then you will only see the sonic wave pattern on the surface
Yes this country’s laws have changed almost 180 degrees sad to say

Not meaning to comment and can not figure out how to delete my comment