ultrasonic cleaners?

Either stay low on the temp or put your sink under a fume hood if you want to use ethanol.

Ventilation is definitely key. Was just curious about it

Yeah I can turn my heat on separate which is Nice plus mines in a hood

1 Like

Check out this thorough article. You should be able tonuse them on glass. I have in the past. Youbjust need to suspend the glass in the solution. Clanking around in the tub will crack glass.

https://bluewaveinc.com/ultrasonic-cleaning-101/

1 Like

I can with mine, too. Has a heat option and timer.

The flash points just scare me a little bit. Even with a vent hood. Well, a shit load less with a (proper) vent hood.

2 Likes

They sell industry specific wire baskets for ultrasonic cleaning designed to hold various relevant shapes. They resemble drying racks and usually attach to the sides or hang from a bar across.

1 Like

What temp do you use for ethanol in your cleaner? 50c seems a bit high

I use my ultrasonics a few different ways which might help some of you out.

For the filter plates…i use acetone NO HEAT! The acetone is simply there to dissolve the oil and allow the powders to free up. Upside down filter plate…30 mins of ultrasonic waves and done.

For Glass… After i broke a recycler rig in the ultrasonic i stopped using the ultrasonic function for glass. Just Heat and alconox seem to do wonders. There really hasnt been a piece of glass i havent been able to clean this way. And if ultrasonics dont have a problem with glass…then how did my perculator break in the rig when it was suspended in the middle??

i use both heat and ultrasonic rarely these days.

6 Likes

Ultrasonics are definitely nice for cleaning sintered disks and other mechanical filtration devices. Glassware has to be completely free of structural defects to avoid damage, even a slight chip can lead to total failure. This explanation on cleaning glass seems pretty solid:

1 Like

I was curious about doing an extraction in ultrasonic? Like ice water hash? It would knock the heads off really fast and good… Correct?

1 Like

We put all our biomass samples in the ultrasonic to further agitate and extract before testing in the hplc.

1 Like

What kind of ultrasonic cleaner are you using with acetone? Wondering if it’s safe for me to try with the one I have.

Cheapie eBay one. When I’m using acetone. I’m USING NO HEAT. JUST ULTRASONIC FUNCTION!

3 Likes

Right on, I got a cheapie off amazon and wanted to double check you weren’t using something different.

I bought a tiny ultrasonic from Amazon. $68

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HGN40SQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mainly for cleaning sintered discs.

Mad

2 Likes

Pro Tip:

Put your sintered discs in the oven and bake em at 375 for 60-90mins.

You’ll not damage your filter, won’t fry your sonic bath and won’t need to use a solvent Plus you’ll be happy with the results

3 Likes

But what if there’s media stuck in the sintered disk? How would heat get out media? To my understanding the vibrations from the ultrasonic cleaner helps remove any stuck media

When cleaning a sintered disc you shouldn’t have powders stuck within the disc. if you do your stacking your microns wrong. To remove any powder on the filter I always backflush with solvent to remove any lodged bits, take it out the way it came, flip the disc on the rig to run fresh solvent thru it with a nitro push. 60% of the time, it works Every time

2 Likes