Tube socks cause shocks? (So don’t do it!)

How do I imagine running into problems?

I’ve just pulled still dripping socks from my -50C columns and want to reload as fast as possible, I don’t have the head room to push the bag out of the pvc with my arm, so I do in pneumatically.

Now I have the trifecta: fuel, oxygen, ignition…

I did also purchase a metal tube, but ID is not right. @Roguelab had mentioned (I’ll link eventually) using metric tubes AS socks.

Still working on that.

5 Likes

Would it make a difference if the system is completely grounded and the material column is vacuumed out fully prior to re-injection?

3 Likes

Not alone in this…

Might not have the right tube yet.

2 Likes

Would it?

If the plastic tube is the item that gains electrons, will they not jump to the grounded material columns?

How about if it’s the plastic sock that ends up positively exhausted?

Same thing right? (Spark to grounded column)

I did suggest using vac (from the collection pot) to suck rather than blow the sock in, but rejected that as too much work (I’d need a bigger pump; dairy farm sized).

Certainly the fuel availability could be mitigated in SOP, but I don’t trust that “vac and hold” before loading , then vac and hold again is gonna last once I turn my back.

4 Likes

I don’t think grounding the rest of the system or vacuuming the material column would make any difference in the amount of charge that a non conductive plastic may or may not hold. If it does build a charge, it will tend to make a spark when coming in contact with a grounded and conductive item, like a closed loop system.

I feel the best answer is going to be using a conductive material that can be grounded. Better safe than sorry.

Perhaps a column identical to the material column could be coated on the inside with an epoxy to reduce the inner diameter, allowing for a slightly undersized diameter of the packed sock. It would make attaching to the material column a breeze, since it already has the flanges built in.

4 Likes

yeah, packing into SS mesh socks, inside thick walled plastic tubes, and ejecting those in the packing room sounds like it’s worth exploring.

I believe Utah Biodiesel will make me some of those if I define the problem correctly.

I’d bet I can use the search feature and find that suggestion lying around here somewhere too…

edit: yep!!

see:

@SidViscous: Is anybody running a kiln?

4 Likes

Agreed, big time. There’s no way to escape conduction of electricity.

Big sleeved mesh SS “tube socks” it is.

6 Likes

can anyone comment on the relative pricing/lead time of stainless material socks from the two vendors listed above?

Or offer alternatives?

1 Like

Clamping the material column, quick vac. Then push remaining solvent into collection. Now your columns are empty and you can load puddle free. Won’t stop your static issue, even though a bonded system won’t spark. That’s the point of it. Have any of you had to be grounded when you’re doing solder work on a circuit board? The ground is meant so there isn’t a spark or you’ll fry board. Same concept. But, the sock and the pvc can definitely cause a static charge, for sure. As the sock would be sliding out the same direction and over time that would cause a charge

5 Likes

No experience with Utah biodiesel but duda usually ships promptly. Just got some felt in from them with a 2 day turnaround and standard shipping.

6 Likes

I did think about this further and the issue of static but never wrote it up because I thought people weren’t interested lol.
My answer was a piece of stainless guttering down pipe with an " earthing strap / crocodile clip " you can just clip onto the system or an earthing point somewhere.

here’s an example - https://www.metal-guttering.co.uk/stainless-steel-downpipes

edit: Obviously you would need to alot of phoning to ask OD measurements but i think its certainly possible.

3 Likes

This is a link to electrically conductive plastic used in the gas industry.
If someone fancies it and wants to phone and ask what they have to offer ?
( I would but I don’t sound anywhere near professional and no one can understand my accent )

https://agruquero.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/agruquero_sist-tuberias-industriales_pe-pp_english.pdf

( I’m not sure but I’m pretty sure HD Polyethylene is ok ?? )

2 Likes

I knew the “Gas service” on the yellow tubing was part of the puzzle…THANK YOU.

rumor has it I can sound professional when making enquiries…

6 Likes

I was hoping you would take up the challenge haha :heart: :muscle:

3 Likes

When I’ve worked with explosive powders in the past - we just used semi-rigid grounded tubing. Seems to me that if you can do it with those, why could you not do it with other stuff.

I’m replying to you so you can shed some light on this. Most of my career I’ve been worried about ignition sources… but some of the stuff that I’ve been doing for decades people discuss on here like I’m getting ready to blow up my lab.

Someone said why not switch to SS Mesh bags (they be heavy you know…and depending on MOC bring contaminates.

But using a rigid vac-hose to pack socks has been working for me. Am I smoking the wrong kind of stuff? Don’t want to be blowing anyone up - but I like being able to pack things faster.

Its the same kind of rigid hose that’s used for loading things like granulator and used for vacuuming up explosive dusts.

Thanks for your thoughts!

2 Likes

6 Likes

3 Likes

While I’m not trying to inject these into the tubes we pre load them and use a 30" to 36" sock I’m put 2 of those into a 48" column. We have the made and reinforced with a slit cut in them so they can be rolled over the PVC

3 Likes

I went to purchased some PVC pipe for this purpose and after purchasing thought about the static problem and instantly came here for help. My gut says no way should you pack socks with plastic in a booth that’s operating.

Seems like this was the general conclusion?

Does anyone think it is a good idea still?

Does anyone pack with PVC in a separate room and ground the bags before use maybe?

Any input is appreciated<3

Packing them elsewhere and storing on metal shelving in our dehume room until use was my response.

It’s really only the act of removing the bag from the plastic tube that might be problematic, and if you don’t do that in the booth you should be fine.

7 Likes