Trying to make diamonds but Confused on cryo crash and filtering

Sorry to make a topic but ive had a hard time finding a straight answer.

I used an ounce of dried cured bud and a can of puretane blasted into a closed column stainless steel tube that i rigged with a dry ice sleeve and had a vacuum pulled on. Everything was frozen with dry ice/isopropyl bath before blasting.,

I allowed the tube filled with butane and material to sit and chill in crushed dry ice for 30 mins then proceeded with extraction as normal into a pyrex dish.

I allowed about 1/4 to 1/3 to evaporate off at roughly 70f before i poured it into a mason jar that was pre-chilled in dry ice/iso bath.

Ive had the solution in cryo for about 8 hours now and am seeing a lot of formation of what looks like fats and waxes building up along the bottom.

My question is, should i pour this chilled solution through a micron filter then contine with cryo crash similar to as if i was winterizing with iso? Or should i just let it sit in cryo as is for a couple days before tightening the lid and pulling out of cryo?

You are cold crashing that should be thca at the bottom bud

1 Like

Let it chill, unless I’m way off about the temps you hit letting stuff sit in dry ice (no idea how thick the vessels are you were using) it should be cold af and pretty good at not bringing fats in along for the ride. Would need picture but it sounds more like what you are seeing is thca settling out of solution. I would leave for full 48 hours cryo
What is color like?

1 Like

Is that how that works?

Your the expert

I don’t expect a ton of waxes etc at the temp he described the run

Duke said it well

1 Like

(I meant it sarcastically)
Italics

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thats what i thought at first it seems almost cloudy then i started thinking it was fats snd stuff because of how it looked.

Heres a picture too

Is that just THCa crashing?

I’m high everything looks like it’s in italics

3 Likes

Bruh, just puts it in on ice and leave it alone for a bit. Like legit just let it sit, and see what comes of it. When crashing thca it forms a puck on the bottom of the jar. You have to over come the desire to fuck with it, and let it chill. You can do it buddy, I believe in you!

3 Likes

Thank you for the quick reply and yes everything was definitely freezing, i couldnt tell exact temperature but id assume prett close to -90F (except for my butane itself when I initially blasted until it had time to chill too) heres a couple picture of where im at now

Only The Strong sauce tek Everything you need to know is in here.

1 Like

no need to cold crash its wasted step

5 Likes

It’s good for material that doesn’t have a lot of terps. You can cold crash then take out some of the thca and finish the process. And this gives a better terpene:thca ratio.

5 Likes

personally I like the ratio the plant gives

1 Like

have you considered the advantages of learning using sugar?

no. it’s dangerous, and pointless.

you could, but chances are you’d melt anything that has crashed by doing that.

again, you could…but as @StoneD has mentioned already, a cold crash is absolutely not necessary.

patience, repetition, and a solid understanding of saturation/supersaturation/nucleation (which can be gained playing with sugar).

it’s gonna be a while (days to weeks), so you might as well start reading.

4 Likes

So i messed this batch up, got too high last night and passed out and left my lid off the “cryo chamber” i made so with the mason jar lid being loose the butane evaporated when the dry ice did and solution over saturated.
The pic was what i was left with just now when i checked which actually seems the proper colour (let me know if im wrong) just waaaay over saturated.

I was thinking to just add more butane to the solution but its only an oz of bud so more of a live and learn thing So im going to cut my losses and purge it how it is and do a bigger run with some fresh bud from a harvest next week keeping a better eye and probably entirely skipping cold crash as you guys say. Also will buy 250 ml mason jars and fill each of those with butane entirely and let it evap from there opposed to blasting in pyrex and pouring int the giant 1.5L ones i have.

Ill definitely be trying with some sugar in the meantime too

But Man, thank all of you guys for all of this info . Its relatively hard to find this type of information in a streamlined fashion on the internet and i learned @StoneD @cyclopath @Otscc @Dukejohnson (anyone else who replied and i misse)

Here is a picture of my over saturated solution this morning after i let dry ice/iso bath evap by mistake.

You don’t have enough in that jar to have gotten anywhere with this attempt.

You could add back a little solvent and try a smaller jar.

6 Likes