Too much Delta 10

Hey lovelies. Wondering if there’s anybody who has experienced the delta 10 isomerization and effectively gotten rid of it. We see persistent amounts of d10 formed in the distillation flask (we use a BR spinning band) even at 20 microns and temps at 182C.
We use a Precision X40 to extract with ethanol (at around -40C) and color treat with ac and bentonite but can’t use hydrocarbons to do a saline/heptane wash. We filter to 0.5micron before distillation.
Lots of theories bouncing around the lab and wanted to get some from you guys…
TIA!

I wouldn’t trust me because I don’t know what I am talking about but there is a thread called Delta 10 THC in which they talk about the pH of the bentonite affecting isomerization

“I can’t find the damn post for the life of me, but in a discussion on D8, there was one member here who posted chromatography results comparing T5 and T41 in the BF. It looked like T41 was making WAY more D10 and comparatively very little D8.”

1 Like

What happens if you skip the magic dirt entirely? (I imagine sugars, but don’t know how that manifests in a spinning band).

Brand/flavor of AC?
Brand/flavor of Bentonite?

Both of those come in flavors that might be contributing to isomerization.

How certain are you you’re not getting particulate carryover?

5 Likes

@cyclopath
We’ve done runs without touching the magic dirt and have seen similar results… the dirt comes from @Killa12345, so it’s Carbon Chemistry “Activated hardwood carbon” and Pureflo B80 for the bentonite.
We do see sugars sometimes in the bf on the first pass but not on second pass (which still generates d10).
I agree particulate (or perhaps heavy metals) may be contributing to catalysis in the bf so we’re looking at better filtration methods and cleaner biomass… suspecting phoschek on outdoor-grown stuff per @Future

1 Like

If its phoscheck itll smell like sulphur

2 Likes

T5 appears to be engineered for heavy metal remediation as well

2 Likes

Flavored bentonite? :thinking:TERRRRRRRPS

1 Like

From Best CRC Media thread @ spdking

“When removing heavy metals as a mass, all clays perform equally - what you have to remember is b80 is just ground pulled. It is not treated. It is not handled or sieved. It is not directly associated with lab work in the professional fields. Because it is ground pulled and of questionable sources you do get clean batches, and then you get spuratic batches of dirty portions”

1 Like

I have run pretty much the exact same process as you. The only thing i would change is use T-5 instead of B80, only because I have not used B80 and cannot speak for it. I know it is supposed to be a neutral clay, so it should work.

I would ditch the AC. To me, it doesnt seem to help much, and the results I have gotten without using it are comparable to with it. It is acidic, so if you are not neutralizing, then this could be part of the cause.

How are you chilling your ethanol? If you are using dry ice in contact with your ethanol, you could be depositing a bit of carbonic acid into your extract. If no dry ice contact, ignore this

If your extract has water in it, you could be creating carbonic acid when you are decarbing as well (CO2 gas with water present)

If there is any question about your biomass, I would try to sort that out first, we can try to trouble shoot everything on the processing and distillation side, but if the input is of issue, that will do little good.

3 Likes

Where is your source material/biomass from? Indoors or outdoors?

sent you a DM

Hi Jamesimus,

Did you ever figure out that issue? Im having similar experience for my last test result. Any imput would be helpful.

1 Like

Im looking to fix this issue myself. Please DM me if you can help.

1 Like

I wish I had a success story for you, but all I can share is results of our progress so far, which is nada. Most probable consensus (today) is that the biomass we purchased has a contaminant (phosphorus-based fire retardant, nutrient, etc) which catalyzes the isomerization under the heat of distillation. Several proofs point to this being the case… we’re trying greenhouse-grown (read, expensive) material currently and will post outcome of that; we’re assuming there is no fire retardant (like phos-check) present to start with.

1 Like

Did you throw away or do anything to your ethanol before this run to make sure it isnt also contaminated?

No, that’s a good point; we would have to completely clean our entire process… and didn’t. Some of our team are already talking about this option though, with new biomass that is known to be clean, not just assumed to be.

1 Like