Too many holes in my shatter

Hi guys. I’m new to making shatter and I am trying out a few different teks. Along the way some questions have come up. My first few rounds nucleated due to some rookie mistakes (not replacing molecular sieve, 105 degree purge, storing in humid conditions and light, ect.) Now I am running my chiller at -35, no soak, no dewax. I can only purge 8 hours a day due to the lab hours but I am hesitant to purge over night when I am not there. I’d hate to come in to a chudded slab. The new tek I am using to purge is 80-90 degrees f, full vac, and flipping every 4 hours. I’ve now purged 40 hours and flipped over 10 times. The slabs are stable but there are way too many big holes to gram it easily. I’m okay with some holes but this is too much. What may be causing this? Flipping too frequently? We are a high volume processing lab with only 2 shatter ovens (10 shelves) and have too much material to go through to be purging for 100 hours like a lot of people. So in a nutshell I could use a little bit of advice on running parameters, purge tek to increase speed and protect against nucleation, how to prevent large holes(rolling pin?), and how you store your slabs ( i use a sheet pan cart with a black cover to block out light. I put it in a 65-75 degree room with a dehumidifier) Thanks in advance for any help, this future4200 community is great!
20200320_091316|375x500

3 Likes

Dude get it warm and fold it in on itself. Once its finished purging to your liking it shouldn’t budder up from gentle handling. Vac oven around 95-100 should have it soft enough to smooth out after folding, if its super stable you could bring it up a few more degrees slowly until it moves.

In the future, make square boats out of the parchment, I use bobby pins to hold the corners, to keep the pour centered on the parchment and keep the slab pushed together with hopefully less holes. Once it stops moving you can unfold the boat and do your purge SOP.

5 Likes

I used to pour my slabs like that. They were too thick but it is my favorite way. I’ll work on it though. Thanks!

1 Like

You can let the walls down so it spreads when you puff the muff. Then fold in the thin edges when you flip. Keeps a nice tight slab just gotta figure out the perfect size boat for your runs.

4 Likes

Thanks brotha. I used to pull vac on the muffin with my walls up then fold in the walls to clean them up. I’ll try breaking the muffin with walls down. How often do you flip?

1 Like

its about prepping your trim, operating the equipment slow and smoothly, and finally find the Solvent release temperature of your slab. Read my tek. I’ve hit all this in it. If you have questions after post back and I’ll help you out.
Shatter tek

6 Likes

Right on. Much appreciated!

1 Like

They are just getting too thin, I make the square boats out of parchment but big at first, I pull vac as soon as they are in the oven to 5hg, then wait 20 kind then 10hg and sew on all the way down till I get it thin enough to where I want it that it will make holes but not too many. It’s just watching it and knowing what it looks like when it’s getting to thin, then i stop vacuuming down in 5hg increments and let it sit in the oven under that vac until its flat and barely reacting then pull down all the way. It wont spread out much further then.
Then in the first flip I make the square boat side right tight up to the slab and it wont thin out any further, everyflip just fold the oil that comes up the sides back onto the slab and make a tight boat again or keep the same boat. Repeat through process. I usually like to get to 20hg in an hour and that’s as thin as I need her for decent holes but not too many. Strain depending on the time frame.

I like this amount. Cheers

6 Likes

Show picture.
Use plastic putty knife to whipe on parchment paper and even out the slab.
Don’t pull vacuum as soo you put your slabs in the oven. Each strain is different to find the solvent release temperature. You could have water moisture in your slabs.
Once you find SRT turn vacuum on and let the bubble get right under the higher shelve. Close vacuum valve. Turn pump off. Wait for bubble to decompress. Than pull vacuum again. Usually takes three times of decompression and this phase takes 30-45 minutes. Read my tek above for the following steps

3 Likes

What do you mean by show picture? I will try your solvent release method sounds like it’s worth giving a go. That pic was the first time I tried my polishing tek. But they all have uniform holes like that.

I don’t have many pics but will take another when this run is done.
Thanks for the info I’ll give that a go, was worried about moisture as well when I started working on this strain from this client but I dry it right out and same thing.
You dont get sugar when you vac down at its max temp everytime then dial it down to sit?

1 Like

U need to test for residual solvents.

12 hours is usually good for purging. Sometimes u need a flip, sometimes u dont. Like @Juice311 said let it sit in the oven at temp for a while before pulling the vac. Thats a pro tip.

Establish a baseline then u can develop a “rule of thumb” and wow people with ur psychic abilities to tell them when their trim is trash and they think its :moneybag:

If there’s actually too many holes (weird hang-up) then try pulling a slow and low vac until it stops most of the “volatile” bubbling. Judging by how big the holes are youre probably pulling a hard and fast vac to make production run faster.

Remember the more stable your shatter is the less terps it contains. If you have :fire::fire: input you dont want to pull a full deep vac in the oven for any longer than 12-24 hours.

I only make it super crack stable when its poo input and the terps are wack

3 Likes

Water moisture causes the sugaring (nucleations) After a flip let the whole slab turn glossy. Wait for vac oven sv and pv equal before pulling vacuum.

I never let it sit. I pull vacuum fully after the bubble won’t hit the shelves. Once the slab has no reaction or minimal than it’s time to flip. If I’m leaving for the night I will turn off the vacuum valve and keep vacuum. I won’t run with the pump on overnight. Also the first parchment paper that is poured on get rid of. any nuking happened it will spread from that one spot.

The biomass needs to be dry before you extract. Water will drip in at the end of the run. Also you will have less of a yield. Use a dehydrator.

Check your ambient air humidity.

3 Likes