Tiers at dispensaries - Do they make sense? Does quality increase and what defines "Top Tier"

I can’t fucking believe nobody has mentioned this when there’s so many parallels we can draw to the mylar trapper generation

I imagine weighing and canning your own shit is much like taking months and months to grow a plant then drying it in a trash bag within 3 days.

3 Likes

Psychological control/marketing is everywhere in the world and in just about everything we do nowadays. Good marketing campaign can make billions of dollars bad one can lose billions (ask the execs at Bud light, Disney, Target and quite a few other ones about that one)

Lolwut?

It can be a problem. If it’s too sticky and can’t be put through a grinder if you let’s say have carpel tunnel or arthritis of the arms or have nerve damage in the back that brings pain to your hands (a lot of possibilities), you could be in severe pain grinding the Cannabis.

1 Like

See if it was about the consumer and not the money when it comes to medical Cannabis at the very least, you take that into consideration. The weed is too sticky it could hurt someone looking for relief.

Maybe try a cart then?

1 Like

…Couldn’t you just offer to grind it for them instead? This is the definition of throwing the baby out with the bathwater when an employee could just take 2 seconds to help them.

From what I can see the “top tier” generall just aligns with what looks the best, well trimmed, etc. I don’t even see a clear correlation with potency.

2 Likes

Every fucking time I go to a dispo to get a little bit of nug when driving around I have to start off with ‘LET’S PRETEND I DON’T UNDERSTAND NUMBERS AND POTENCY DOESN’T MATTER…what smells pretty, looks pretty and tastes pretty’

1 Like

For awhile I’ve been wanting to talk about something regarding consumers’ obsession with the THC potency numbers.

The potency number that people so heavily rely on is (I believe) a qualitative number not quantitative. It tells you the potency of the oil that exists in the sample but it doesn’t tell you anything about the actual amount of oil that’s there.

One thing I have learned as a hash maker is that the amount of oil that actually exists on a given quantity of plant material can vary widely (hash yield). For example you can have two different cultivars that were grown properly by the same person and one yields twice as much hash as the other for the same input weight.

I wish consumers understood this very basic point and would start to not rely so heavily on the THC % number.

My point can be illustrated with a thought experiment:

Which would you rather have: a joint with weed that is labeled 40% THC potency but actually contains .25g of oil or a different joint with same weight of weed but it’s labeled 32% THC but has .5g of oil???

.25g x .40= .1 grams THC

.5g x .32= .16 grams THC

The joint that’s labeled 40% THC actually has significantly LESS THC overall and will get you significantly LESS HIGH than the 32%!!!

But I bet the 40% joints are more expensive and on a “higher shelf” in the dispo.

What do you guys think about that?

1 Like

That’s (hopefully) not how the analysis works. Thc% is supposed to be a measure of the % of the total sample size. Not just %thc of only the resin (which is a fraction of the total sample size)

3 Likes

Numbers are quantitative. That’s how that works.

3 Likes

That also is ignoring a core aspect of this discussion, which is that THC% is not the ultimate determining factor in quality.

Would you rather have bud that is 25% THC but tastes like lawn clippings, or bud that is 15% and tastes amazing?

I wouldn’t waste your time with the CCC, and honestly if I were you I’d just cut your losses and travel to Maine when you need to reup.

Making a “quality based tiered system” on something that for products that are totally preference based sounds like a stupid idea to me lol. Some people call high potency “higher quality”. Some people say more terps is “higher quality.” Some people just see a strain name and think that means it’s high quality. There are no real standards. I don’t see how this could be effective.

1 Like

Most people have never tried a 6mo slow cured closet chronic and it shows. Low T and hight terps is the bomb. Most books and growers are keeping temps too low and they dont know it. Mid 90s actually interferes with the plants ability to metabolize the terps into the more complex cannabinoids. The plant literally sweats flavor. I buy with my nose, not a % point.

1 Like

well one dispensary I went to today had gold and silver tier. gold tier was all 30% thca and above and 300$/ounce and the silver tier was all 20% thca strains and 280$/ounce. I went there for the 200$/ounce deal because the cannabis is actually fucking good over there, other than that I don’t go there.

I’m just speaking to my experience in Oregon, so that’s interesting.

1 Like

I think the main problems are that quality is subjective, and there are no standards for grading like @ZizzleB said. One dispo might have 3 tiers and separate only by THC% (eg. <15, 15-25, >25) to make it easy on the staff & customers. Another dispensary might have 4 tiers and place products based on brand name/wholesale price. Obviously if they’re paying more for anything, whether it’s quality or clout, that will be passed onto the consumer. That comes down to educated dispensary buyers making sure they can grade properly like a Ganjier, to prevent the dispo from buying junk weed just because it’s Cookies and they pay for shelf space.

But what qualities should customers be looking for? Potency? Terp %? Terp profile? Harvest date? Brand? Bud size/shape/color? There’s only so many things that are disclosed on the label, and at least here in AZ you can’t smell the flower ever since covid. If you ask your budtender, they can bring a few packs to pick from based on looks, but if it’s an online order you’re usually stuck with what you get.

1 Like

For flower it usually breaks down

Full flower
Smalls
Shake

Let’s just look at the full flower/nug and it’s usually broken down based on overall testing. Each place may have a different grading system but in general you can judge flower by the overall numbers

Less then 12% total cannabinoids and/or less then 1% terps is your lows

10-20% and 1-2% terps is mids

20% and over and over 2% terps is top shelf.

From my perspective pricing seems to be based a lot more on the sales volume of the store then anything. If you know where to look you can find the same “top shelf” flower for half the price elsewhere.

I’ve seen even with vertically integrated places where you can buy their wholesale flower at other shops for cheaper then they sell them retail themselves.

2 Likes

Yeah they’d have to make QR Codes with more info so they can extend the label digitally. …

I suppose harvest date makes up a majority of quality, then terps then potency.

After that it’s all extended info.