Thoughts on this chiller for a 20L rotovap?

That is precisely one of the reasons we like you so much. You made it work and nothing stopped you.

And you love metal. :metal:

Polyscience has probably been the best bang for a buck I’ve worked with. They were affordable for us even back when we only had $16,000 for an SPD and had to drive to AI in Jersey to buy one in all cash. I was willing to buy AI glass to start, but not their chillers.

Julabo has been by far the best running chillers I have, 4 different sizes running a 4" WFE. And their customer service has always been excellent

2 Likes

I’ve never used them, but I always hear great reviews of Huber, so based off reviews they sound like the best competition for Julabo

Everything can be good or bad, I’ve personally had China chillers arc out and burn out. I’ve actually only had a chiller catch fire once and it was a Huber. High end one too. And no alarms went off. So it’s a toss up. But I’d rather have the Huber or American company to deal with since they hold themselves liable for thier actions. My experience with china is mostly this, they will cause a fire, accident, injury, or even failure in your lab - and send you a email t following week asking you if you Wana buy more instant garbage.

1 Like

I want to add, Wich might not be worth anything - summit made a huge move to keep domestic work and jobs locally. Even at much higher costs. We avoided and removed almost all china products from our inventory becusee of safety issues customers had. It’s not fake. This is a very real problem. Its not hype game. It’s people making excuses why this or that is better and someone else’s bottom line hurting blah blah blah. Its all jive. It’s just basically bullshit

2 Likes

I just assumed it was because it had twice the liquid coolant volume and twice as much coil surface area in the chilling (30L vs 15L) chamber so it had roughly twice the resistance to heating up because physics, so not in any really great position to try and correct you.

Also when we upgraded the vac pump the roto worked at much lower temps and that took some of the strain off the chiller.

There’s definitely more surface area to an extent, but generally speaking the cooling capacity will be the real determining factor. Think of heat as energy in the lab and a lot of things make more sense. There’s an energy load in the ethanol vapor and that energy has to be transferred from the vapor to the coolant through the glass of the dimeroth and then exchanged to the heat exchanger and coolant in the chiller its self. If the chiller doesn’t have enough energy to power its own refrigerant system then it will overload the cooling capacity ceiling of the equipment

Edit: vocabulary and typos

1 Like

As for vacuum, there’s that direct relationship of pressure to boiling point. Your solution in the boiling flask in the roto can more easily reach equilibrium and boil as there is a much lower pressure surrounding the solution as compared to the atmosphere

1 Like

You can get these printed out but I keep this page bookmarked. Nice little interactive nomograph for seeing how a given pressure affects observed boiling point compared to BP @ 1atm

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/chemistry/solvents/learning-center/nomograph.html

5 Likes

Thank you. Yeah that thread was neat. I calculated I’d need 0.47kW to cool ethanol from 50 to 0C in 30 minutes. That polyscience is capable of 0.52kW, but I think that’s at 20C? I’d much prefer to go with a more reliable brand, I think polysci is one, assuming that the chiller is up for the task.

You will have zero issues. We’ve been selling that combo since we started.

1 Like

If you’re not worried about compliance… The DIY AC chillers get down to -18C quickly. And you’d be able to build one for $100. Took me an hour. There’s a couple of good threads on here.

5 Likes

Don’t get AI branded chiller. AI bought chinese chiller and rebrand them. They are not as reliable as US one.

Anyone have experience with EcoDyst?

Slow, ardjuous, and not efficient. So this is how you determine speed and worth of value. Dollar per dollar spent per liter a hour recovered. The size of condensing system, it’s vapor pathway, and the amount of btu at generally 0c that it can take up as vapor and covert to liquid. Per specifications they are 100k running what a good setup 20l roto gets per hour in recovery.

Ya they suck

i am labs manufacturer from China.
My main products are rotovap, chiller, reactor, vacuum filter, short path distillation and so on.
i think i could meet your requirement and if you have any needs, just DM and tell me your email address, then i will send the quotation to you.

For chiller, pls tell me lowest temp that you want, then i will recommend right model to you.

Glad I went with the polyscience one. Thanks for all the advice!

1 Like

you guys need to listen to @spdking for once. polyscience is a great brand and that chiller is ideal for the roto. you dont need to go colder than -10c - 0c working temp unless youre condensing volatiles which you should not be doing in glass anyways

2 Likes