THC syrup

Anybody have experience making THC infused syrup, also referred to as THC lean? Want to make some with distillate but having issues keeping the oil dissolved in solution, also want the product to be sweet so not sure if I should use corn syrup or artificial sweeteners in PG etc.

7 Likes

You probably want to make it water soluble? There is a thread on there here already.

4 Likes

Don’t use pg, ever hear about polysorbate 80 or 20? It is in lots of products you use everyday.

13 Likes

What volume range are you processing; 1 liters, 2 liters, etc?

1 Like

WHAT YOU NEED

3 cups of filtered water
3 cups fine granulated sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable glycerine (found at most health food stores)
2g finely chopped/ground cannabis
1 jar or bottle
1 saucepan
Strainer or cheesecloth

HOW TO MAKE

Add the sugar and water in the saucepan. Bring to a boil.

Stir until sugar is completely dissolved then add the cannabis. Cover the pot and allow it to boil gently for another 20 minutes. This is the most important step as the heat will decarboxylate the cannabis. This is also when the THC will be transferred into the syrup.

To prevent the liquid from getting too hot, keep the liquid at a low roiling boil.

At the 20 minute mark, reduce the temperature. Add the glycerine.

Let the mixture simmer for another 5-6 minutes, keepign a close eye on the pot. Remove the lid and stir quickly every minute.

Remove the pot from the heat. Carefully pour the hot syrup through the strainer or cheesecloth into your container. Go slowly. The idea is to remove all plant matter from the syrup - plus, you don’t want to risk burning yourself.

Let the mixture cool. It will have reduced slightly in this process. However, you should have about 3 cups of syrup.

The gylcerin is apparently not required, polysorbate 80 or 20 could certainly be substituted. or folks are just running without.

Note: this will get you syrup. it will not get you water soluble cannabinoids.

14 Likes

if only it were actually that simple ^

the thc will end up floating on the top of the water and getting stuck to the side of the bottle

29 Likes

So there is a few mechanisms that make stable w/o emulsions. You need a carrier oil, surfactant,and emulsifyer. The smaller the glouble size the more stable the emulation . You may want to use ascorbic acid to minimize oxidation damage. You will need a ultrasonic or high shear device to create a nanoemulsion.
I cringe at this new syrup trend… :persevere: I have sampled some, it was dismally gross. I hate the fact that people are basically pouring sugar syrup into an already sugary soda to get their rocks off.

35 Likes

my goal is to create a medicated drink like a fruit punch or lemonade but struggling with the instability like OP. Waiting on the high shear device from @CATScientific

5 Likes

Is drink clarity going to be an issue? What dose do you plan on achieving?

1 Like

clarity not an issue as of right now. i plan on dosing 200mg distillate to ~350ml drink

3 Likes

That sounds doable

2 Likes

I see polysorbate 80 is an emulsifyer and surfactant, what would be a good carrier liquid to achieve a good mix with good clarity?

2 Likes

Really any oils, avacado, cottenseed, grapeseed, coconut mct, ext. Experiment which works best for you.

5 Likes

you need to you lecithin to emulsifier the oil to water.Google- ( Lecithin Liquid. Lecithin Liquid is a phospholipid* emulsifier suited to water in oil, or oil in water, emulsions depending on temperature and ratio. One of the characteristics of Lecithin is it’s suitability to both oil and water, making it an ideal choice for a variety of emulsion applications.) the ur need a stir bar and figure out the right temp

5 Likes

But damn does lecithin taste bad…

9 Likes

What ratio to extract would you think just reading this as have some concentrates would like to try

3 Likes

Using distillate is hard to use for this recipe. If you have the capability to do an extremely cold ethanol extracts. Refined well, decarbed. Then use that for your ingredient.

Just the nature of disty and it needing a “real sugar” to bind with.

You can try agave, maybe?

But, baked bros and any of those guys are using a cold etho extract.

8 Likes

How high you wanna get?

5 Likes

All depends on the desired dose.

3 Likes

Get a shear homogenizer and homogenize your disty into 70C vegetable glycerin, then mix that into your fruit syrup/flavoring of choice.

7 Likes