THC → CBN Conversion Leads?

Does anyone have any leads on SOPs or home methods for getting THC to convert to CBN? I’ve been working with distillate (92.5% THC) and have had success with cooking at temps above 240F for more than 24hrs, however, the yeilds are low and the conversion is a 5/1 : THC/CBN at best. Are there any other suggestions besides the iodine method, as it is not an approved solvent in my state?

3 Likes

DM if you want that sop

9 Likes

I would also like this SOP if you do not mind

cooll

Hey Cheebachief, do you still have that SOP on THC>CBN conversion? I could really use it. Thanks!

@JoshEnjoysThings, If you are looking for a free SOP I would guide you to this post by @thesk8nmidget. Beware it is the GLG Sulfur SOP which most people aren’t fond of since it requires sulfur. I’m pretty sure the one he was giving out back in 2019 was the unrevised GLG SOP

2 Likes

I also have an SOP for something like 85% conversion in the reaction and like 50% by mass overall return of CBN isolate (>99.5%). But, its also worth some money and I am a consultant. Also, it is not sulfur and you will not have to confront the issues associated with elemental sulfur.

3 Likes

There is also a great lead in that thread for the pd/c method to cbn which is much easier to run than sulfur in my experience.

7 Likes

That sop was given to me before it was ever given to the gang & when I helped those whom I have with it I definitely didn’t ask them to follow it to a t, that sop was janky at best. Many improvements have been made for way better conversion to cbn.

3 Likes

I have a great Pd/C SOP if anyone is interested.

EDIT: For sale, not for free. Just needed to make that clear

9 Likes

I’ve always wondered - how are people reclaiming their palladium after the reaction? Its such a precious resource, its kind of worth recovering just out of principle - filter and save it until you have enough to extract. Are people just discarding it?

1 Like

Filter through ashless filter paper and burn it in your reclaim jar

4 Likes

You just filter it out and wash it and then it’s ready for reuse. Very easy.

2 Likes

https://www.norlab.com/file/7481/download?token=1dBOQ5ZJ

If you’re using Pd/C please make sure that you have removed all of the metals using a scavenger before declaring it for for consumption.

4 Likes

what are you washing the pd/c with?

2 Likes

Interesting, so you all feel its robust enough a metal to endure that time and time again? You don’t see reclaimed catalyst lose effectiveness? That almost suggests that palladium (II) is capable of the requisite chemistry, I’ve found palladium (0) is susceptible to oxidation or catalyst poisoning in previous work. I wouldn’t know, never ran this exact reaction.

I was under the impression you needed to filter, burn, extract with acid, reduce PdCl2 to Pd(0) - or something along those lines.

3 Likes

Not that I’m advocating for consuming palladium, but luckily it is one of the lesser toxic metals. Osmium, mercury, lead, cadmium, on the other hand…

edit: forgot half the sentence…

1 Like

It’s Pd (0) to start with. I haven’t seen poisoning. I mean I’m sure it will eventually happen at some but you can get a lot of repeat uses, to the point it hasn’t run dry on me yet.

3 Likes

That’s right, it is Pd (0) initially - I’m just surprised water or oxygen haven’t done more damage to it. I’ll believe ya if you’ve seen it for yourself!

2 Likes

Probably the most likely answer is that the amount of Pd/C I’m using is in excess of the amount needed for catalytic activity and so the loss of potency is not apparent. I didn’t do detailed trials on determinining the absolute minimum amount required and the quantity-efficiency relationship is not always straightforward with such non-stoichiometric reagents. Probably with a lower dose you might see these effects blow up.

4 Likes