Testing Bacteria Growth on Rosin vs BHO Samples

I will think about it. S**t is gonna get expensive. JK

2 Likes

If and when the time comes let me know Iā€™ll grab samples for you from stores in my area.

2 Likes

Canā€™t imagine anything living through isomerization or distillation, but Iā€™ve seen gummies and the like get molded. Mycotoxins would be the most appropriate test for disty

6 Likes

I was just joking. I got this. I really appreciate it though.

2 Likes

on this topic- i make a gummy bear. people love it. they quit weed and just eat my gummies. But- I made a batch for an order and had to deliver within hours so its all dusted in cornstarch and i get too into details. I tell him to refrigerate it because it a bunch for himself so he isnt eating it fast. He says- I never refrigerated the last ones you gave me so why these? I say- its food, it molds if you leave it out at room temp fr months. he repeats that the last ones didnt? So i say i use a antioxidant and some potassium sorbate and he stares side eyed? he doesnt like preservatives yet he rejects refrigeration? whats in a petri dish= gelatin.

1 Like

A petri dish has agar lol

Use potassium sorbate and dry them properly. if itā€™s worth doing, itā€™s worth doing right

6 Likes

i do it right, all you have to do is wash the cornstarch in cold water. its better than a oil. they begged for it that day is why its dusty. id dust them a few days and then wash and dry and thats shelf stable without the dust.

I knew that but both are great to grow bacteria- agar vs gelatin petri dish - Google Search

An plants :stuck_out_tongue:

Not much will survive the temps used for distillate

5 Likes

Yes, you gotta choose the right media for the organism youā€™re targeting. Look into tri-plates, you can find them in any combination of media. I used to be big into research into on-farm microbial testing for cows (mastitis). Still-air chicken egg incubators work perfectly fine for growing the nasties that are risky to us.

Edit- removed the part I was telling OP because I donā€™t know how to read

Link was just for you Homie.

1 Like

This is a fantastic resource, wow. Is this the plate/media used in labs for that purpose? Might buy an incubator just so I can try this out with some bubble hash and see how bad it really is.

you mention ā€œhow bad it isā€? test some cigarettes and other stuff you put in your mouth. Im not concerned with bacteria unless its from an animals poo or something like that.

Iā€™m thinking more about mold and yeast and stuff that does bad things to you when smoked/inhaled. Iā€™m just curious how contaminated air dried hash is. It would be a good way to gauge the safety of beautiful traditional frenchy-style pressed products

I donā€™t think thereā€™s a good chance of organisms surviving and populating after the lyophilization process so these tests donā€™t really apply as well for commercial bubble. I would assume some kind of flow cytometry would be the right solution for that but I really have no idea, Iā€™m just a cow guy that likes hash.

Well Iā€™m pretty sure that even if you run moly nugs(disgusting) the .2micron filter will filter out the mold sporesā€¦
The rosin/live rosin tests would be the ones to watch out for as there is moisture present and itā€™s not filtered through anything that small, but Iā€™ve heard that BHO can allow mold if thereā€™s moisture presentā€¦
But if thereā€™s no mold then it canā€™t growā€¦
And I could be wrong but aflatoxins donā€™t show up in cannabis, thereā€™s another kind of poisonous mold that does
But the medicine can be used my people with compromised immune systems so people should always do shit with that in mind

I agree with you there, I think the ability to go to 0.2 in hydrocarbon or etoh makes those products inherently safer from a microbiology standpoint. SHO should be treated like a food product and have proper HACCP and SSOPs tho

Oregon does moisture testing in leu of mold testing because you can mostly eliminate mold growth from continuing below a certain moisture percentage (~12% iirccfor flower & biomass samples).

Theyā€™ll mandate mold testing (again) soon. Above rule is a bandaid. Itā€™ll be ripped off soon and standards will increase.

That used to be needed for medical.
Then, because a lot of people were failing, they decided to elinate it to make it easier on the shitty growers

2 Likes

Might you also test how many endotoxins and pyrogens are present? Just because the bacteria is dead doesnā€™t mean its body isnā€™t still aroundā€¦

Thanks.

7 Likes