Stupid question... oils tinctures/lipid infusion

What if THC solubility increased at higher temperatures, saturation level was reached when warm, then it cooled to room temp?

I am wondering if I did that by mistake. I was trying to infuse olive oil with decarbed flower. 500 ml beaker on a hot plate with a stir bar. Gravity filter with a nut milk bag in a mason jar overnight. Poured most of the oil back into the beaker, then into two small canning jars. There was a little oil left in the beaker and I noticed this.

It is heavier than infused olive oil. The density of olive oil around 0.916 kg/liter.

Kinda blue green under UV light.looks more green to my eyes than this picture shows.

Maybe I should do a taste test.

How strong can a olive oil tincture be at room temp? Boulder Creek Technologies says their machine does up to 100 mg/ml so I wonder if that is close to the limit.

1 Like

Just found this on olive oil extraction

3 Likes

Good read. I like extracting with oils…I think it holds lots of promise. I dabbled a bit with vacuum packing flower and oil then cooking it sous vide in a water bath. Seemed to work quite flippin’ fantastic

3 Likes

How saturated the oil can become is a great question. I would imagine saturating it to the point of altering the oil’s viscosity would be a good stopping point and could likely be 50%ish cannabinoids. That would be around 500mg/ml. 100 mg/ml would be a super easy, manageable concentration to work with but I think it could be higher

1 Like

I’ve certainly done 400mg/ml in MCT. Not extracting at that conc, but had no problem getting extract to dissolve at that ratio.

If you get it too concentrated you will lose too many cadabinoids to the oily biomass (need a fuge to push it that high imo).

Eg at 100mg/ml you lose 1gram for every 10ml of oil stuck in your biomass.

At 500mg/ml you lose a gram for every 2ml you can’t retrieve…

3 Likes

May be possible to extract in oil and get whatever oil you get then wash oily biomass with room temp ethanol to get rest as a second fraction then would have to recover ethanol.

1 Like

When processing full spectrum oil tinctures I wonder if there’s a method that doesn’t require flower or trim to be soaked in a carrier oil for hours?

1 Like

It’s been about a year since you posted this. have you guys made any advancements in the system?

For anyone worried about WIPHE laws… lipid infusion is a safe bet and super easy :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Our systems are automated and available for sale. We routinely get 95+% of the cannabinoids out of the biomass and keep the THC below 0.3%.

1 Like

Exactly what’s wrong with “cannabis equipment” companies. How much is it without the green tax? Whenzhou Bill?

2 Likes

I know I’m coming into this a little late but I haven’t seen anyone come up with what seems a simple solution that I’ve been using for years. It’s a solvent transfer from an ethanol extraction into an oil or other carrier. Perform the full spectrum extraction with the ethanol, mix with the chosen carrier and remove the ethanol which then leaves your goodies in the oil with your full spectrum.

There is no need for heat other than decarb if needed. No other heat touches the biomass. Low potency material can yield high potency oil through concentration manipulation.

I’m just throwing this out there because it has always worked for me and those around me. It should be just as viable at high volume as it is in my kitchen or maybe I’m just being silly. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC)

Here’s a little sampling.
Solvent Transfer from Green Dragon to Coconut oil w/video

2 Likes

I once made edibles by just dissolving a cup of olive oil into a gallon of butane and running a column as usual but I decarbed the material in the spool under pressure to try to retain the smell. Rinsed with another gallon of clean butane afterwards to get what stuck to the biomass.

Edibles I made from it smelled really dank but tasted like ass.

3 Likes

My company, Hemp Harvest Innovations, has developed an infusion system with automated controls that can easily process 50+ lbs of biomass per day. Depending on potency this can be over 5 gallons of oil infused to potencies upwards of 100 mg cbd/g and beyond. Cost of manufacture of a lipid infusion is extremely low while the retail cost of a 30 mL vial is huge. For example… this year I (alone) did about four weeklong production runs that netted a check of $14k for us to make 16 gallons of 50 mg cbd/g oil that was turned around and sold for $80k. The economics are pretty incredible but it all depends on if you have a market to sell the oils. A lot of consumer education is required to differentiate infusions made with CBD concentrates from lipid infusions like our equipment makes.

I developed the process flow for the system that Leika sells. He brought lipid infusion to HHI but couldn’t get along with anybody so he took the multicolumn system the engineers at HHI designed and started his own company.

Recently I found a way to make isolate with our infuser — using a nonhazardous extraction solvent — so the model going forward is to scale up the infusion equipment so that manufacturer can pump out lipid infusion to meet their market demand then run isolate the rest of the month.

2 Likes