Steam distilled terps

@Soxhlet You guys in Oregon?

1 Like

california

1 Like

@defender @drjackhughes @Soxhlet

Got busy - will reply soon.

Yes - no reason to reinvent wheel @Defender. I will just use the setup as given. I went to order it today and it was sold out :expressionless:. I will have to wait until @LabSociety is open on Monday and try to figure it out.

@drjackhughes - Honestly - Im usually a “build to scale” kinda guy…However - The Miss of mine is not a herb like me and wants something she is willing to use - Lavenders oil and other random shit. Its for-sure a home project but sometimes i cant help myself.

So i will not go with any vacuum and about that speaking event? You got any details on it - i could be open and willing to see what you have to say.

@Soxhlet I have all the equipment necessary but i don’t think my cryo-gloves will pass the nimble test.

Will these work ?

But seriously guys - i did not expect the advice and help i received for a lil project! Very much appreciated. I will return the favor and keep you updated on my progress.

BM

3 Likes

It sounds like you should grab a small, atmospheric glass system and practice making essential oils with cheaper feedstock. Get good at packing the material, controlling temperature and duration. Keep a notebook.

1 Like

Has anyone tried freeze drying their biomass before steam distilling it?

1 Like

We run about 250 lbs a week through the big heart magic steam still. We use vacuum and are about to hook up nitrogen. Personally I like the unit and if you have good inputs the terps smell great. I’d be happy to share our sop with any interested parties.

6 Likes

I would like to see this SOP considering making some hemp terps…

I have an Ethos X MHD that I used to make fantastic terps from greenhouse hemp. Microwave hydrodistillation is much better than common steam distillation, IMO.

You can pass steam terps through alumina to remove the water soluble compounds. I would have terps go from smelling like grass clippings to something you would enjoy vaping.

I moved the Ethos to another location on ran a test method on it. There was a pipe clamp hiding behind the glass vessel and the circuit board blew an element. Milestone says replacing the board is $1200 but they only want to have a tech fly out to install it, for 5x the price.

2 Likes

I mean you did short the first board.

Oh for sure, I’m an idiot. Just explaining g why I’m not currently using it. MHD is fun. I’d strip about 2# of biomass in an hour.

2 Likes

Let’s see that SOP

1 Like

I remember the good ol days…

I got one coming for ya

1 Like

Yeah I’ve done it. Didn’t really make much difference yield wise for me.