Steam Distilled Cannabinoids

this is exactly what i want! :grin:

1 Like

You are confused here. There is no limit to the temperature steam can achieve at ambient pressure. There is a limit to the temperature of boiling water which generates steam. Once the steam is generated, it can be run through a heat exchanger and brought to any superheated temperature you want. Here’s a very simple demo using no pressure at all:

4 Likes

There was a small thread about this previously. It is definitely possible, in fact, it’s no different from what you’re doing when you run an herb vaporizer. The question is how it can be made more efficient.

3 Likes

Do you know if anyone who has done it?

There are some results posted in that thread. Not great. Some design improvements definitely needed.

Dont pitch it to your investors like this :joy:

6 Likes

Thats how 80% of these companies start.

Hypothetically sound

1 Like

Honestly I don’t see it working as an economically sound investment, but I’ll give the thread a look over. Thank you.

1 Like

It would perhaps work for those desiring solventless extracts, but to me advances in water extraction or hot pressing seem like more profitable areas of investigation for that purpose.

1 Like

Absolutely. When you are talking about water extraction are you referring to ice hash type mechanical separation using cold water or playing with the chemistry of water to chemically extract cannabinoids?

1 Like

The latter would be much more efficient, so I think that’s what he is referring to.
enzymatic extraction

Yes, I think you’re right. Do you have any resources I could read on enzymatic extraction? Are we talking about messing with yeast genetics to make it excrete cannabjnoids, or something different? @ZizzleB

Something different. Though I have heard of that too.
I am not very knowledgable on enzymatic extraction… All I know is really what I have read on here and also heard bits and pieces from @cindibot9000. Her company offers consulting on it if you are really interested, and they are awesome.

I wasn’t talking to about enzymes specifically, but there are various methods to basically shear the trichomes open with high powered water. The oil would then form globules in the water which could be separated by centrifugation. I am told Alfa Laval has had success with this method. There are various threads about it on here.

4 Likes

Pretty sure xtracted steam distils terps to add back to their “loud resin”. Always tastes fake AF imo…

@1234user
I have also heard of this. It was through a company called Infinity, but now when I look them up all I see is CO2 extractors… I got this from them back in January of 2019 … Looks like they have since given up on the water extraction.

2 Likes

Heat air to 200°C and force it through plant material. This is a standard vaporizer. Switch out the air for water vapor. I can’t see much difference between using air, nitrogen, or water vapor. Probably some inert gas would have the least degradation.
The energy efficiency is likely the real reason for using this.

I assumed hot air was off the table due too oxidization. As for advantages using water, there are many different properties of water, some may carry advantages.

https://www4.eere.energy.gov/manufacturing/tech_deployment/amo_steam_tool/propSaturated?random=Temperature

The more I learn about water the more it blows my mind. This is a new subject of interest to me, for example I didn’t know steam was dry until recently, I always thought it was an aerosole. I have many unanswered questions.

1 Like