SOPs - Fake CBD isolate

We run an adsorbent column in line with our extraction column. Similar to a crc column on a cls system.

So 1 adsorbent column and 1 chromatography column.

This takes far less time than it would to run through a short path or wiped film. Also far less equipment required.

6 Likes

Has anyone heard of cut or aldutered/poisoned CBD isolate?
I bought 10g of CBD at the main German online retailer, who seems to have a monopoly in his price region, which already seemed suspicious.
Now, this “99,99% CBD” had a a weird smell, not like hemp at all, more like a artificial fragrance. The smell carried through to the isomerized oil, which had a suspiciously low yield to the eye, but i didnt`t weigh.
The seller has 1 kilo for 600€ listed on his webpage, is that even a realistic price? According to the CoA on the page it is imported from USA but even on American websites a kilo is usually more expensive.
So I wonder, has anyone ever heard about bad/bunk/messed with CBD isolate?
Should I be suspicious, if CBD is marketed with 99,99% purity?
What should pure CBD smell like?
Is a price of 600€ per kg for CBD imported from United States even realistic?
Why is there only one German online retailer that makes it immediately accessible to a private person to buy large quantity of CBD or CBD for a non rip-off price? Looks like the market is secretly very regulated.
Could this be a glass wall, the system builds to prevent people from having access to large amounts of cheap and clean THC, so instead they go on smoking the poisoned rubbish that system supplies? Is this smell a marker molecule and a poison? Do you have to be part of a secret death cult to know where to buy clean CBD?

1 Like

The price could definitely be realistic, if you are looking to buy send it into an analytical lab or @Dr_Jebril .

It should smell slightly hempy, not like chemicals (huge red flag)…

Also you can import kgs from the US for around that price, also and not have to worry about sketch stuff like that.

5 Likes

To me Isolate smells something like band-aids; however, If one stores Isolate around any fragrances it can wick that fragrance and become tainted. Have you tried to crash it again? I’d think if you have the know-how you could recrystallize, wash and purge to clean it up a bit before your isomerization.

5 Likes

Nope, understanding purple helps though… Alkaline Beam (how to test for CBD) and a Fast Decarb Test Method

…and you probably shouldn’t be attempting isomerization if you can’t figure out what your starting with, let alone what you’re making.

5 Likes

Are there vendors you would recommend against?

Thanks, I once smoked an ice rock with that smell. The smell of this was something different, that got me worried.

I only had those 10g so fortunately there is nothing to clean. But it could also lead to a false sense of security as the adulterant would probably be sth with similar properties.

I`m sure it was mostly CBD, was just wondering if a secret service or some crypto-facist environmentalists put a little bit of something else in there.
TLC looks interesting, thanks.

3 Likes

Good question.
Purified CBD has in fact no distinct smell.

Suspicious about the COA at least.
Most commercial CBD is in general 98.0-99.5%.
There is systemetically some CBDv in there, plus another unknown. Some lipids can also be present. Also trace solvent can be detected sometimes (generally pentane/heptane).

I wrote above that CBD has no smell.
Still one always smell something in front of kilo’s of commercial CBD, something light, faint… Im not sure if the smell comes from the impurities only, or from having cbd dust getting into the nose.

The impurities generally gives a yellowish taint to CBD, which can even gets more vivid when exposed to oxygen.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I believe the smell wasn´t typical for CBD or impure CBD, but I haven´t smelt that much CBD in my life.
On the website it said 99%, only on the invoice with the package it was described as 99,99%.
If it had said so on the website I wouldnt have bought it.

Also generally in my experience, if something is advertised as “premium”, it is a good indication that the product is poisoned and someone wants to do Pharmakeia on you.

1 Like

I keep noticing that in CBD i feel was extracted with alcohol containing propyl acetate as a denaturant.

It gives it a very distinct obviously chemical smell, i feel it smells almost sweet (floral maybe but that’s not quite right). Had it from one online vendor and one local in-state vendor.

2 Likes

What would make CBD isolate taste like black pepper?

Sprinkling pepper in it?

7 Likes

Here is an update on my experience with trying to source cbd in Europe.
This time I bought it from a Swiss vendor advertised as 99,7% pure.
It had a slightly smeary and pasty consistency, not as powdery as the stuff before.
During the workup of the reaction a grey precipitate was revealed that I didn`t see in the former experiments. Also the sep funnel was dirtied with a white smear after the first wash and hat to be cleaned.
Also before distillation, while purging residual solvent and low bp contaminants, it behaved much different than the other stuff. Under vacuum and 150°C something kept bubbling out of the oil for about an hour. A sweet sickly smell came out of the pump that made the face numb.
Testing the undistilled product made me feel absolutely horrible, as if i smoked lead or pesticide.
So now I conclude there is really a conspiracy to poison people and the member @AlexSiegel might be onto something where he claims all cbd he tested only is 90% pure and also @roguelab who says he only uses distillate for conversions because isolate produces more unknowns.

The price has dropped so much that cuts are athingy nowadays :smiling_face_with_tear:

Prices going to get so low baby powder producers are cutting baby powder with Cbd

4 Likes

Although its supposed to be colorless and odourless, i have always noticed a licorice/pepper like smell from n-Heptane

3 Likes

Why’s the title sop for fake CBD isolate if that’s what this thread showing we need to lock it down

Pickles and liquorice

2 Likes

I thought all cbd was bunk.

1 Like